how to reduce high cholesterol ?

Options
Saab_2015
Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
I used to think I am fairly active and in good shape but a heath check has shown me to have high Cholesterol.

So I think I need to Improve my diet .. reading a lot of mixed things but bad it 172.

Any tips to reduce or success stories from anyone who was in the same pickle as me appreciated.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has been recently shown not to affect cholesterol levels. It basically comes down to genetics and weight. Getting your weight to a normal level first should help if you're overweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • crita50
    crita50 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    what are your HDL, LDL, and Triglycerides? Also, what is your HLD/LDL Ratio?
  • Saab_2015
    Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I only spoke to the doctor over the phone so don't have all the figures but once I do will let you know - I've been googling it so atleast I now know what your talking about. I thought I was healthier
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider 172 to be high necessarily. You need to also look at your LDL:HDL. My total is over 200, but my LDL is 93 so not really an issue.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's genetics which you can't escape. People also underestimate the power of stress to affect your cholesterol levels. So try a little meditation as well.

The DASH diet is the best option we have out there.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider 172 to be high necessarily. You need to also look at your LDL:HDL. My total is over 200, but my LDL is 93 so not really an issue.

This is what I was thinking. My cholesterol was in the 170's but my HDL was high and my LDL was really low. Since I am a healthy weight and had no other factors for lifestyle diseases, I was told not to worry about it. Both my parents have similar situations.

Honestly, if you are overweight the best thing to do would be to get down to a healthy weight and see how your numbers respond. Unless of course your doctor suggested you make some additional changes!
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had high cholesterol and my doctor recommended eating more fish. Some fresh salmon and flounder, but mostly canned sardines and kippered herring. Numbers came back into line.
  • R_U_B_E_N_S
    R_U_B_E_N_S Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got heart problems related to genetic colesterol and my Doc got me some tablets plus told me to take those extras: Danacol Yogourts, milk with omega3 and walnuts! good luck on getting it lower!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    Losing 40# of weight (by means of calorie control) and exercise (mainly lifting, hiking and rowing) were the primary reasons my cholesterol levels dropped from historically unhealthy to "ideal" levels for the 1st time in my life just 6 months ago.

BTW, I still ate well marbeled NY steaks and other fatty foods but did so w/a specific calorie limit and macro goals in mind, which restricted the type of food that I ate which I would characterize as generally "healthy" but not "clean" or organic by any means.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My cholesterol and triglycerides dropped with a 35 pound weight loss and running 5 times a week. My total cholesterol level originally was over 350 (and triglycerides over 400). My total cholesterol level is borderline now - around 200.

172 is actually a normal result - Unless your doctor was just talking about LDL levels?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Under 200 is normal. And the better indicator is non hdl cholesterol.

And losing weight and exercise is the best thing to improve cholesterol. My triglycerides went from 220 to 40 on a fairly high carb diet.