To Run or Not to Run.. that is the question

Options
Hope you liked my witty title.

SO! I'm training for a half marathon. I started the c25k program back in May, and now I'm doing Hal Higdon's training plan for novice half. Needless to say, I'm new to running.. but I think I might be at the point where I am a runner :).

Here's the situation: I'm 6 weeks into the training plan. I go at about a 12:00min pace during my long runs.. sometimes even 13:00min. Monday I did 6.5 miles (was supposed to do a 5k technically, but I did one a few weeks ago.. so 6 was it!) and it felt great!! I ran the entire 6.5 without stopping, was never winded, heart rate stayed around 165 the whole time and I felt excellent.

Yesterday- I accidentally pulled an all nighter Monday night because of that run. So, I got up, and went to the barn I work at to feed horses. The feeding took about three hours, with lifting about 40 buckets, each about 15-20lbs, give or take (depending on how much water was in each). Came home, napped, went back and did the afternoon feeding when took about 4 hours.. less lifting, but I had to walk 20 horses in by hand as well as sweeping 3 aisles and pushing around a wheelbarrow. (I have to sweep/do the wheel barrow in the AM too) Thheeennnn, I had to ride my friends horse for a half an hour.

Needless to say I have no idea how many calories I burn when I do this-but I typically feed horses twice a week.

Today- Decided to go for a run. Barely made it TWO miles before I had to stop. My heart rate was fine, my breathing was fine.. but my legs were screaming. I picked up my run again and pushed through till I made it to 2.7 and had to stop.

My friend that's training for this half with me, (but she's a lot more athletic, she used to swim for our university, and she runs at a 7:40 pace) tells me I should just keep going-keep running. I told her what happened today and she says to go out and do my 4 tomorrow (cause that's what today was SUPPOSED to be).

So here's my question to my MFPers: what should I do? I have to ride today, and feed horses again tomorrow. Should I run tomorrow? (I could do it before I go feed) Should I take tomorrow off? Should I use tomorrow to do some cross training? (I normally do Jillian's 30 day shred or yoga or something).

Sorrryyyy for being so long winded. I'd appreciate any help at all!!! I'm supposed to do 7 miles this Sunday, and I found taking the two days before my long run off, using one for cross, makes it much easier!

Replies

• horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    "keep running",...easy to say, right?

If I REALLY dont get enough sleep/food, there's no way my muscles can be pep talked into "keep going".

Usually I complain because Im trying to just make it through the workout, but its a swim so when I get slow, I mess up my breathing, and I squander and flop around like a hopeless fish. You know what I do then? I stop. Your/my body is saying... HELLOOOO? UHHH... Let me think. NO!"

On the other hand, its easier to get through a run or bike because you can simply go slower. But, if you're muscles are crying and your body is saying no, then I'd listen and stop.

I try to catch up on sleep/food and return to my normally scheduled workout the next day. You tried that workout. It didn't work, try again for the next workout that's planned.

Otherwise, good doses of caffeine/pre-workout food can help get you through. Good luck! ...and no more all nighters!! ;)
  • dreamer12781
    Options
    I'm dealing with this right now because my schedule is forcing me to do some pretty tough workouts back to back and then a few days of little more than some yoga. I want to even out my cardio but my schedule doesn't allow.

And when I push it, it takes me 2 days to recover. My body is sluggish and I can't pay attention at work I'm so tired. Whereas, if I do a moderately tough workout every day I get gradually stronger and don't need the two days off.

All that to say, if your body is asking for a break, take it. Healing is an important part of training. And as a runner who pushed herself too far, I can tell you right now... the result can not only be a physical breakdown but it can also kill your confidence in your running skills. You need that confidence for a race! Take a little break and just do what you can. YOU'LL GET THERE!!
  • horseryder77
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses!!! I was really stuck as to what to do tomorrow.. now I'm thinking of just doing cross.. because every time I even THINK of running I can feel my quads hurting haha
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'd run. Jillian Michaels says do what you hate. It sounds like you are starting to enjoy running but at this point in time it is what you are afraid of.
  • horseryder77
    Options
    Afraid of? Hm.. I definitely wouldn't go that far. I DO love running. But I'm thinking that pushing myself too hard is going to result in injury. My body is telling me no- so I'll do other exercises until I can do it again.
    Toward the end of the run I got this ripping feeling going from my ankle half way up the side of my leg. So.. I'm gonna give it a rest. It definitely has nothing to do with fear.