Unhealthy/Gross foods growing up

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I used to melt cheddar cheese in a cup and eat it that way, just the cheese after pouring off what oil came out of it. I used to like Little Debbie's snacks. My favorite was the oatmeal cream pie at my grandparents. I used to sneak them and hope they didn't notice a bunch missing. Later in high school, my idea of breakfast was a Charms blow pop and a diet Coke.

A typical day for me in high school (90s) was this:

Breakfast - mini bag of Famous Amos choc chip cookies, mug of 2% milk
    Lunch - Little Debbie Starcrunch or fudge round and Dr. Pepper
    Dinner before work - Taco Bell Mexican pizza with sour cream added, Lipton peach tea
    Snack at work - Reese's cups and Dr. Pepper

I cringe at this now! LOL. And I was very overweight btw. BUT all my friends ate similarly and were thin.

About twice a week I didn't work in the evenings and ate something reasonable like a chopped steak with ketchup or a baked potato with cheese, maybe a frozen burrito...but rarely any veggies.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I forgot about taking mozzarella cheese sticks and melting them in the microwave....
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    In high school I got a job as a grocery store cashier. I remember one night I had to work late, and then had to work on a paper for school once I got home. I bought a jar of marshmallow creme at the grocery before going home, and then proceeded to eat the entire jar while I worked on my paper. Totally unhealthy, but not gross at all!! I'd still love a huge spoonful now and then!!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    And I just remembered--I lived with my dad and stepmom in 6th grade, and my dad introduced me to his version of cinnamon toast. He would melt butter in a pot, add brown sugar and cinnamon, slather that onto bread, and toast it in the oven. It was awesome! So awesome, that I ended up aquiring the habit of coming home after school to an empty house and making up this butter/sugar/cinnamon concoction in a mug, microwaving it, and eating it with a spoon while I read my book. I was sneaky, too, and didn't tell my parents what I was eating.

I wonder if I would still like that now? Probably...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    In high school I got a job as a grocery store cashier. I remember one night I had to work late, and then had to work on a paper for school once I got home. I bought a jar of marshmallow creme at the grocery before going home, and then proceeded to eat the entire jar while I worked on my paper. Totally unhealthy, but not gross at all!! I'd still love a huge spoonful now and then!!

I actually still buy it several times a year, especially at Christmas when it's on sale really cheap...I eat it 1-2 spoonfuls at a time so it lasts for awhile but total guilty pleasure "snack"!

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    The grossest for me was canned beef stew and 'Smash' (dried potatoes) when we went camping as children - it was gag inducing, yuck! and just thinking about that now would put me off my food ( it's a good job dinner time is over LOL )
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Samquentin wrote: »
    Cinnamon Sugar Toast. -toast bread, butter toast, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. (my mom actually had a little container that always had cinnamon sugar in it!)

Hawaiian Delights... graham cracker, with butter on it, and brown sugar sprinkled on top, heated in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Yum I love toast with cinnamon sugar on it!
  • WendyJoy76
    WendyJoy76 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    potted meat/ deviled ham in a can on crackers, Franco-American Macaroni w-cheese sauce in a can, cream chip beef on toast, chicken ala king on white bread...LOL oh the 80's
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The grossest for me was canned beef stew and 'Smash' (dried potatoes) when we went camping as children - it was gag inducing, yuck! and just thinking about that now would put me off my food ( it's a good job dinner time is over LOL )

Oh god. That's what we had on camping trips too. Utterly vile. And for a change, we would have a tin of something called Chunky Chicken mixed with a tin of new potatoes. Equally vile.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options

Oh god. That's what we had on camping trips too. Utterly vile. And for a change, we would have a tin of something called Chunky Chicken mixed with a tin of new potatoes. Equally vile.

Chunky chicken ! That takes me back too LOL ...we still get that here but I won't be buying it either.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Oh and canned ravioli!! Double yuck! :/
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Chef Boy R Dee Ravioli or Beefaroni for lunch every day. Processed cheese slices. Tang. Corned beef hash. Salisbury steak and gravy in a plastic bag. Thin spread of mustard on white bread (until that time it gave me severe indigestion).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

My mom would put canned ravioli in a casserole dish (she usually "doctored" canned foods, but I don't remember her adding anything to this) and put crushed potato chips on top & baked it. It was one of my favorite meals. The last time I had it was the last time she made it :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I'm trying to decide if this is as bad: I still heat up a couple of cans of Chunky Sirloin Burger soup, add a considerable amount of cooked frozen veggies, and serve it over real mashed potatoes. Yuck factor?
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My dad still makes shell noodles and butter with hot dogs. I secretly crave it on the daily.

I think my entire adolescence was fueled by yodels, big macs, white castle and diet coke.

I used to eat a lot of liverwurst too - never popular at the lunch table lol. I still love it, but the fat content makes it pretty hard to fit sometimes.

My grandma used to serve me gnocchi in butter then covered with sugar *audible drooling*

Ooh also fried chicken dipped in honey.

UGH I miss it all :D
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I'm trying to decide if this is as bad: I still heat up a couple of cans of Chunky Sirloin Burger soup, add a considerable amount of cooked frozen veggies, and serve it over real mashed potatoes. Yuck factor?

I didn't do the mashed potatoes. A pile of Ritz, saltines, or Cheezits, oh yes!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I used to have canned Chef Boy R Dee ravioli a few times per week for lunch when I was in college. It was my favorite. Then one day I bought some cans from the supermarket and noticed "New improved flavor!" printed on the label. It was so disgusting that I couldn't even finish the bowl I had heated and tossed it out. :'( I haven't bought a can since (20+ years).
  • majekaba
    majekaba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bologna, butter, mustard, and cheese sandwiches. I think the butter was unnecessary. My mom put sugar on strawberries for us to eat. My great-grandmother always had Little Debbie cakes around.