Weight loss / Working Out

Options
femmaggie
femmaggie Posts: 14 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I lost 65 pounds since I started my weight loss journey in May 2017. I have 10 pounds to go to reach my goal. I work in an office all day and I didn’t do much excersise to lose the weight, I was just really focused on eating clean and stayed within my daily calorie allowance. One day I looked in the mirror and to me I looked skinning and frail so I decided 4 weeks ago to join the gym. I gradually started doing 30-45 minutes of cardio and some strength training 3-4 days a week. My MFP goal is set to lose a pound a week eating 1330 calories a day. Since I started working out my weight hasn’t moved and my clothes fits the same, but when I look in the mirror I look bigger/fuller and even some co-workers asked me if I had gained weight! Now I’m thinking did I make the right choice starting the gym or should I have waiited to lose the last 10 pounds to reach my goal?

Replies

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    When I started in the gym the same thing happened..all of a sudden muscles are being used and start retaining water to repair. As long as you continue eating at a deficit it will self correct and you will loose it, possibly with a whoosh. It's worth it, and after a while it will help to decrease inches and increase strength, which will also support the weight loss
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's a transitory thing. You'll probably stop retaining as much water. You'll be glad you started defining your muscles, and you may eventually look leaner. My waistline got smaller and tighter, for instance. Keep at it! And by the way, your coworkers are very rude.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're looking "skinny and frail", do you really have another 10 Lbs to lose? I mean, if you're skinny and frail, 10 Lbs is a lot of weight.

This one of the big issues I have with having an arbitrary number on the scale as a goal. It sounds to me like you'd be much better off not worrying about that and just getting your fitness on at this point.

^^^^ This ^^^^^

And, as I like to point out a lot, you should be celebrating when your body holds water - or at least not panicking about it - especially with respect to the scale. You should always be happy your body does exactly what it needs to do when you apply stress - use water for repair and adaptation.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and logging correctly, you have to trust you are doing everything correctly and give it time. Celebrate the fact that you aren't moving up on the scale and more importantly be excited about the progress you are making at the gym. Being 4 weeks in, you should notice the ability to move faster I your cardio or lift more than you could before. These are goals to be celebrated too just as much the number on the scale.
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes, wait for the "Whoosh!" as Tess5036 mentioned. Just learned about whoosh on a thread yesterday. A name for what actually happens to me!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone
    Is there any kind of secret exercises that help in rapid weight loss?

Nope. And rapid weight loss doesn’t necessarily mean healthy weight loss.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone
    Is there any kind of secret exercises that help in rapid healthy weight loss?

Yes. Lots of them. No secrets. And just say no to "rapid" weight loss. Do it healthy.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi, everyone
    Is there any kind of secret exercises that help in rapid weight loss?

Rapid weight loss is not healthy. Many reasons detrimental to your heath to not engage in doing rapid weight loss methods.

Adding, when you exercise using MFP method you are supposed to add your calorie burns to your calorie intake (at least a portion of them) so doing exercise in the respect is a mute point.

There are no secret exercises, engage in exercise/activities for health benefits or achieving fitness goals.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Trust the process. You are holding on to water weight for muscle repair. It can affect the scales for a few weeks.
    If you know you are accurately tracking your calorie intake then eventually the scales will play ball.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Trust the process. It might takes week for your body to even out but it will.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

• femmaggie
    femmaggie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This journey has been such a learning experience for me and I’m sure it has been for all of you. I haven’t attempted to lose weight after having my kids in 19 years! for me to set foot in a gym is a HUGE step. I appreciate all the support I receive when I feel confused that I might be doing something incorrectly and once I post my concerns I get wonderful support that makes me feel like I can keep focused and stay on track. Thank you all. (((HUGS)))
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Take it easy. Trust the process. Your body is holding on to water for muscle repair. It'll flush out. Also, you're close to goal so you're not going to see those consistent drops on the scale.

When I'm relatively lean it seems like I'm not losing anything, then one day BOOM.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    Dont worry about the scale and look in the mirror. Muscle weighs more then fat so either muscle gain or water retention. My weight can fluctuate 5lbs in a day just depending on how much water i do or do not drink.

If your pee is yellow you need to drink water. It's an old Army thing. ;)

Even under optimal conditions (calorie surplus/enough protein/good program) women can only gain about half a pound of muscle a month. Also some color to your pee is fine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There are some websites that tells 'Secret Exercises that Help in Rapid Weight Loss' like webmd, zovon, healthline, etc. how they are helpful?

they arent :laugh: