Flabby old body

Options
jonnyman41
jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
Advice on good ways to turn flabby, wobbly, old body into something better. 47 year old woman with full time job. Access to local gym and pool. Likes slow running and walking/hiking. A little over weight but not loads. TIA

Replies

• jonnyman41
    Options
    Hi I don't feel old mentally lol, just hate the way my body has gone lately. It sort of crept up and then I realised my arms jiggled when I waved and my stomach is a wobbly lump
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Diet (small calorie deficit), exercise (mixture of strength and cardio would be optimum), patience and commitment.

You aren't old at 47, so don't think old or act old.
    Besides you have the second childhood of your 50's to look forward to. :)

This!

btw I'm 48, soon to be 49 and I've never felt fitter, looked trimmer than in recent years... and I certainly don't feel my age :smile:
  • sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lift weights
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you have a diagnosis for the 'dodgy' bits? I'd ask a physio or PT not random internet people if you have medical issues.
  • Horndave22
    Horndave22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Answer is no you can never recover the body you used to have, you can only make the body you want to have. There is hope. This sounds easy but it is very tough and takes time and commitment. Lift weights, do cardio and watch your calories in and calories out to eat to deficit. Some exercises you might have to forgo due to dodgy hips and discs or find a different exercise.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Read the pinned post in the General forum and the Fitness forum. Let us know if questions come up. :+1:
  • jonnyman41
    Options
    Do you have a diagnosis for the 'dodgy' bits? I'd ask a physio or PT not random internet people if you have medical issues.

Yes i do and had years of physio for hip. It's manageable as long as avoid things like running too fast or one day after another.
    Neck disc has x-ray and currently having chiro which is helping
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course you can. It won't happen overnight though. If you want it, you can get it.
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It will take some changes to habits you've had but it is possible!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My gosh.....47 is not old! I'm 68 & I'm not old! Of course, there are some who would probably disagree with me, lol.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Weight training makes a huge difference in your appearance and overall strength. Keep walking and swimming--exercise does wonders for your skin and gives you a glow. Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fat. Don't use 20 somethings as your role models--that can be depressing. Instead, watch the seniors in your gym for inspiration. The difference between a healthy active senior and a couch potato is breathtaking.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    47 is about the age when I stopped being fully sedentary and inactive - right after chemotherapy ;) . I became very active, even competed as an athlete (rower) - strong, good cardiovascular fitness - but stayed obese for another dozen years. At 59-60, I lost 50+ pounds.

Now, at 62, I'm at least a decade younger than I was at 47 ;) , and it feels great.

You, old? You're practically a kid. ;)

Ernestine Shepherd, that 80-something bodybuilder pictured upthread, started training at 56. Even if that's not the body you aspire to, she shows how much can be achieved.

You have huge potential. Results depend on the effort you put in. Just start, progress gradually (injury has a higher detraining cost as we age) but persistently, and you'll surprise yourself.

Find fun ways to be active - running slowly, walking and hiking more, if that's what you enjoy. Lift some weights, maybe try some group classes. Keep looking around for fun new challenges.

You can do this, and it'll be So. Worthwhile.

Best wishes! :)
  • jonnyman41
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    47 is about the age when I stopped being fully sedentary and inactive - right after chemotherapy ;) . I became very active, even competed as an athlete (rower) - strong, good cardiovascular fitness - but stayed obese for another dozen years. At 59-60, I lost 50+ pounds.

Now, at 62, I'm at least a decade younger than I was at 47 ;) , and it feels great.

I'm joining in on this one, age and oldness aren't necessarily that related.

I'm 45 and way fitter, healthier, and happy than when I took up exercise after giving birth to my third daughter five years ago. When you start exercising, you'll developping muscles and lose fat. Flabbynes will tighten up and you'll look and feel way better.

Don't hesitate, get started! good pieces of advice in the posts above
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions!!!