Always hungry

Options
I am following a medically supervised weight loss plan. I go every week and I see the nutritionist, and every other week I see the nurse practitioner. They have my calories set at 1100, which I have no problem meeting. Sometimes I go over a few here and there. They say it looks like I am meeting my goals. However, I am up and down every single week and I’m stuck. I tell them my job makes me stressed sometimes and we talk about it. I increase my water and still am feeling hungry all the time. Sometimes within an our or so of eating a meal. I try to limit my snacks so it fits in my calories. Something seems to be holding me back. I also have hypothyroidism and take medication daily. Also take a blood pressure medication since I was 20 (I’m 25 now). I’ve been overweight my whole adult life. I just feel like giving up. Nothing works for me. This is my second time doing this program. The first time I was able to lose 40 pounds and keep it off work a while. My younger brother passed away so I quit going to the program. Gained most of it back 1 year after stopping. I just don’t know what to do. I’ve been using the app for 5 years as well aside from doing the medical program and losing weight on my own years back.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how many pounds until you get to your goal weight?

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the difficult of losing a sibling.

As to the weight loss, it looks like you really have two things happening. First, the perceived stall in weight loss and, second, the hunger issue.

How long have you been on the new program? There's a possibility that you just need to stay the course. Weight fluctuates (water retention, etc.) and this can sometimes mask loss. If it's been longer than a few weeks, you'll need to make sure you're accurate gauging your input. You need to be using a food scale.

For the hunger issue, you'll need to play around with your macros. For some people, eating more protein helps. I've actually found that carbs help me feel fill longest. Trial and error is really the answer here.

I don't know your stats but 1100 seems low to me. You are in a program supervised by a doctor so I guess I'll withhold further comment on the number of calories.

Good luck. It can be done. I, like many other people here, thought I could never lose weight and I've found success. You can too.

ETA: Typos.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    jesseviexo wrote: »
    I am following a medically supervised weight loss plan. I go every week and I see the nutritionist, and every other week I see the nurse practitioner. They have my calories set at 1100, which I have no problem meeting. Sometimes I go over a few here and there. They say it looks like I am meeting my goals. However, I am up and down every single week and I’m stuck. I tell them my job makes me stressed sometimes and we talk about it. I increase my water and still am feeling hungry all the time. Sometimes within an our or so of eating a meal. I try to limit my snacks so it fits in my calories. Something seems to be holding me back. I also have hypothyroidism and take medication daily. Also take a blood pressure medication since I was 20 (I’m 25 now). I’ve been overweight my whole adult life. I just feel like giving up. Nothing works for me. This is my second time doing this program. The first time I was able to lose 40 pounds and keep it off work a while. My younger brother passed away so I quit going to the program. Gained most of it back 1 year after stopping. I just don’t know what to do. I’ve been using the app for 5 years as well aside from doing the medical program and losing weight on my own years back.

I know it's hard to stay on track when your life is stressful. Don't give up keep trying we all have tough days. Sorry for the loss of your bother. Good luck and keep a smile on your face
  • jesseviexo
    jesseviexo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I am 5’5” and 30 pounds away from my goal.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss.

I'm not completely familiar with these programs- have you been mandated by your doctor to do this because of an *urgent* medical condition? Or is it more of a "need to get on top of this before my health really gets out of hand" thing? If it's the latter, as has been mentioned, I would reconsider. The reason you're always hungry is because anyone would always be hungry on that amount of calories. And a problem we see a lot in these forums is people on an extreme diet, whether self-imposed or medically supervised, who *really* struggle with adherence or even fall into binge/restrict cycles. It's a really painful, unnecessary way to lose weight and it would be much easier to sustain a more modest calorie deficit. It might take a year to lose 50 lbs rather than a few months, but the health benefits will be the same and I would think the *mental* health benefit would be through the roof.

Otherwise, the only way to insure how many calories you are eating, whether it be 1100 or any other number, is to weigh your food with a food scale and carefully choose your database entries. Every single bite. I doubt you could unknowingly be eating enough to completely stop your weight loss- I'm guessing the stress is affecting your hormones- but it does make a difference. In fact, one reason patients are at times told to eat such a low number of calories is to account for error- they know people are probably going to be eating more than they think.

Have you discussed counseling with your doctor/CNA to discuss the recent stress in your life?
  • jesseviexo
    jesseviexo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the difficult of losing a sibling.

As to the weight loss, it looks like you really have two things happening. First, the perceived stall in weight loss and, second, the hunger issue.

How long have you been on the new program? There's a possibility that you just need to stay the course. Weight fluctuates (water retention, etc.) and this can sometimes mask loss. If it's been longer than a few weeks, you'll need to make sure you're accurate gauging your input. You need to be using a food scale.

For the hunger issue, you'll need to play around with your macros. For some people, eating more protein helps. I've actually found that carbs help me feel fill longest. Trial and error is really the answer here.

I don't know your stats but 1100 seems low to me. You are in a program supervised by a doctor so I guess I'll withhold further comment on the number of calories.

Good luck. It can be done. I, like many other people here, thought I could never lose weight and I've found success. You can too.

ETA: Typos.

This is my second time being in the program. The first time I did it for about 6 months and had great results but I quit due to the stress of losing my brother... this time around I seem to have other issues that are holding me back. I guess the stress of not losing weight. I’m stressed about being stressed. :/
  • try2again
    edited March 2018
    Options

How long have you been on this diet? How much have you lost? A long term, very low calorie diet can definitely wreak havoc with your hormones & slow weight loss, and most people find the last 20-30 lbs incredibly difficult to lose. It really requires precision with your calories.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree 1100 is really low. The MFP minimum is 1200 and personally, I don't feel like I could do that. But I walk all day at work. It might be time to increase calories a little. Just a small bit at a time. When you eat really low calorie, your body perceives it as starvation, so it sends a hunger signal.
    I'm very sorry for you loss, I can't even imagine how that must feel. Take care of yourself both mentally and physically.
  • try2again
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

How long have you been on this diet? How much have you lost? A long term, very low calorie diet can definitely wreak havoc with your hormones & slow weight loss, and most people find the last 20-30 lbs incredibly difficult to lose. It really requires precision with your calories.

Which part is woo?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Which part is woo?

I'm your like, not your woo, but I suspect it's someone who still clings to the misbelief that there's no effect on hormones from calorie restriction.
  • try2again
    edited March 2018
    Options

Which part is woo?

I'm your like, not your woo, but I suspect it's someone who still clings to the misbelief that there's no effect on hormones from calorie restriction.

Well, now I've got 2 "woo"s- which could just be people messing with me now- but my comment was based on info I've gleaned from reputable sources here on MFP, like in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

If someone wants to point out my error, that would be more helpful than just hitting "woo". Maybe it's the part about the last 20-30 lbs being hard to lose? (which granted, I probably should have said *some* not *most*)

And BTW, OP, that thread may actually be of interest to you, depending on how long you have been at this current stretch of weight loss.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    You have a lot going on. I would be very surprised if you weren't feeling very hungry at that calorie restriction. "Medically supervised" doesn't equal "sustainable." You can choose to stick with your program, and you can choose to take a break from your program to eat at "maintenance" for a couple of weeks and then re-assess both your goals and strategies to meet them. As a 5-year participant in MFP, you have read many accounts of the challenges of meeting goals and then sustaining them, and the added challenges of tragic life events, medical conditions, and internal negative self-assessments. You're not alone.
  • weequay
    weequay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would look up food high in satiety value. Besides filling up on vegetables, boiled potatos, cottage cheese , eggs, soup, fish, etc.

it's not enough to measure and weigh your foods. Making choices based on Satiety value helps you stick to it.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Being only 30 lbs overweight means you should have no issue walking or going to the gym to burn extra calories. Wherever you land as your daily goal.. be it 1100 or 1500, exercising an hour a day would add in a few extra 100 calories for you to eat.
  • try2again
    Options
    weequay wrote: »
    I would look up food high in satiety value. Besides filling up on vegetables, boiled potatos, cottage cheese , eggs, soup, fish, etc.

it's not enough to measure and weigh your foods. Making choices based on Satiety value helps you stick to it.

Those of us encouraging weighing her food have in mind the part of the post about her weight loss having stopped, not the hunger. Of course on such a low calorie allowance a person would have to focus on nutrition & satiety.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Which part is woo?

Well, now I've got 2 "woo"s- which could just be people messing with me now- but my comment was based on info I've gleaned from reputable sources here on MFP, like in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

If someone wants to point out my error, that would be more helpful than just hitting "woo". Maybe it's the part about the last 20-30 lbs being hard to lose? (which granted, I probably should have said *some* not *most*)

And BTW, OP, that thread may actually be of interest to you, depending on how long you have been at this current stretch of weight loss.

When the Woo button was first implemented it had two meanings - Woo as in nonsense and Woo Hoo as in a good thing. Since many people still think it means Woo Hoo, I just ignore this stupid, useless reaction button.
  • kshama2001
    Options

You could be retaining water from all the stresses in your life. Also, it looks like you are undereating for the amount of weight you need to lose, and that is stressful too. Stress > cortisol > water retention.

But I'd still like to see your diary.