Protein powder?

Hi all!

I am trying to lose 75 pounds and tone my muscles. How do I know protein powder is right for me? What are my best options?

Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Are you unable to hit your protein goal currently? That's the only reason you need powder
  • hollyntuttle95
    hollyntuttle95 Posts: 42 Member
    Usually I'm a little short, but I'm following a 1300 calorie diet and have trouble meeting all my calories after exercise
  • TavistockToad
    Usually I'm a little short, but I'm following a 1300 calorie diet and have trouble meeting all my calories after exercise

Really? I can't imagine that at all.

Do you weigh all your food with scales?

Full fat dairy, avocado, peanut butter will help you hit your calories if you really are under.
  • hollyntuttle95
    hollyntuttle95 Posts: 42 Member
    Yeah, I have a food scale and weigh everything. I've never been much of a snacker - my weight gain is because I have been addicted to coca-cola forever plus two hip surgeries and gaps of being inactive. Lol

Thanks, I just bought regular peanut butter because I was using pb powder.
  • TavistockToad
    Yeah, I have a food scale and weigh everything. I've never been much of a snacker - my weight gain is because I have been addicted to coca-cola forever plus two hip surgeries and gaps of being inactive. Lol

Ditch any 'diet' food for the full fat version.

Make larger portions of your meals if you don't snack, particularly increasing your portion size for meat so you hit your protein goal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Make larger portions of your meals if you don't snack, particularly increasing your portion size for meat so you hit your protein goal.

Lol, you and I are following each other around to the same threads this morning. Are you stalking me or am I stalking you? :D
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    I love Isopure, I take it on the days I workout to give my muscles that something extra for repair.
  • TavistockToad
    mmapags wrote: »

Lol, you and I are following each other around to the same threads this morning. Are you stalking me or am I stalking you? :D

I was here first :laugh:
  • beach_bawd
    beach_bawd Posts: 4 Member
    So I was looking at pea protein recently instead of whey, which kinda upsets my stomach if I don't make a full on smoothie (bananas etc) with it. But then (as an FYI to you) I saw this report:
    http://www.cleanlabelproject.org/protein-powder/

Some brands seem better than others at least, and there are recos for all different kinds of protein.
  • rdmartin677
    rdmartin677 Posts: 5 Member
    Protien powder with both whey and casin in it is best. If that is too expensive, whey isolate is also super popular. There is no such thing as protein timing. Just hit the macro. You want to spread it out. Take 1 scoop at a time.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If you going to consume protien powder, make sure it has adequate leucine(3 grams per serving). Without it, muscle synthesis cannot take place. There is one avertised within the crossfit community as the gold standard(at least by price) that they must of taken the leucine out since it's a whey product. Hilariously expensive calorie shake that does nearly zero for muscle synthesis.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    The right protein powder is the one you like the taste of. Before I stopped drinking milk, I loved the Quest protein powder. Now I use VeganSmart.
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein is a good place to compare protein powders. I personally use Myprotein Whey Isolate
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein is a good place to compare protein powders. I personally use Myprotein Whey Isolate

Weigh isolate is good if you are trying to keep the carb level down, but the downside is its usually watery, and adding it to milk or almond milk obviously adds calories.
    I usually swap to isolate in the last few months on my cut, when I'm eating 3 bowls of dust a day washed down with a cup of fresh air :D
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member

Weigh isolate is good if you are trying to keep the carb level down, but the downside is its usually watery, and adding it to milk or almond milk obviously adds calories.
    I usually swap to isolate in the last few months on my cut, when I'm eating 3 bowls of dust a day washed down with a cup of fresh air :D

LOL, I have always used the isolate, so I didn't know there was a taste difference. I used to drink it with just water, but I eventually moved up to almond milk and it's definitely worth the ~35 extra calories. I just accidentally ordered 2 bags of the regular kind (one vanilla and one chocolate) a few days ago, so I guess I'll have a chance to compare.