Moderation or Deprivation? Which works for you personally?

Options
1235»

Replies

• TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to do the deprivation thing - and it would work, for awhile...then the resentment would start, and then the anger, and then the "screw it, I'm not living like this!"

so now I'm trying moderation - and so far, so good - slight resentment at not being able to eat as much chocolate/chips as I want, but it's much better than not eating any at all
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    quebot wrote: »
    Moderation. I have a very restricted diet for health reasons. If I can say it, I will. I have to have some joy in life. Lol

I'm curious how a restricted diet is moderation. If you don't mind my asking, could you expand on this a bit? :)

Yes, of course. I have a lot of digestion issues due to celiac. I avoid gluten as well as dairy, many fruits, beans, and other grains because of the damage caused by untreated celiac. I allow myself safe (for me) treats in moderation because it gives me at least some way to enjoy food occasionally.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I go through phases. Moderation is nice in theory but personally I find that it creeps up on me until one day I realize that I'm consistently going way over on calories and eating primarily chocolate (my weakness).

When I notice I'm getting weird and eating chocolate non-stop all day I'll take a break and go a few weeks without it. Cutting out chocolate and sweets completely is freeing for me because it takes the thought out of it. If I tell myself it's not an option at all, then instead of constantly thinking about how to fit more sweets into my daily calorie allowance, I can stop fretting over it and just eat balanced meals that satisfy my hunger. I can't really satisfy my desire to eat chocolate. I'll continue eating until I'm ready to sleep.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I find that if I stay too "rigid" in my dietary choices for too long I'll end up binging at some point, so I try to give myself one meal a week (Saturday nights for example) where I cut loose a little and enjoy. Nothing drastic, but if I have a burger or pizza or something and a beer or two I don't feel like I'm living some monastic lifestyle of deprivation.

You have to know your triggers though. If one chocolate leads to the whole box, or one chip leads to the whole bag, then you need to stay away from them completely I would think. Unless you have a really good friend that will bring you just one and then deal with any Tasmanian Devil like responses from you!
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Definitely moderation - but it's the whole mindset attached to it. All or nothing (my natural tendency) always resulted in a period of fierce nothing and then a depressing lapse into everything. So now I have a treat everyday but try to really enjoy it and make it count mentally so I can say "it's okay, ive had enough. I can have it again tomorrow." Do its really about not feeli g deprived. It's not foolproof of course, but works heaps better. And when it works it givrs me that warm glow of zen uber achievement. :-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Moderation. I have a very restricted diet for health reasons. If I can say it, I will. I have to have some joy in life. Lol

I'm curious how a restricted diet is moderation. If you don't mind my asking, could you expand on this a bit? :)

Yes, of course. I have a lot of digestion issues due to celiac. I avoid gluten as well as dairy, many fruits, beans, and other grains because of the damage caused by untreated celiac. I allow myself safe (for me) treats in moderation because it gives me at least some way to enjoy food occasionally.

Thanks!
    I'm a fellow celiac so I get what you are saying (I think). Not eating (abstaining from) gluten containing foods is not deprivation in this case because eating it will make you sick, but you follow moderation in the foods you can safely eat.

Hmmm.... That almost makes me rethink my answer of abstaining. I avoid gluten containing foods and most dairy due to celiac. I limit my veggies because of stomach issues, I I really limit refined carbs and sugars due to insulin resistance (probably from steroid use for AI disorders and too much refined carbs and sugars in the past).

If I cant't safely eat the foods I am abstaining from, is that deprivation (in the spirit of this thread)? I moderate the foods that I can safely eat...

• Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on the food. I have a piece of chocolate occasionally because I like chocolate but I also have no problem having one fun-size candy bar and walking away. I also like potato chips but I've stopped buying them because once the bag is open, a strange time warp happens and all of a sudden I've taken in double my calorie allotment for the day and I'm on the couch covered in potato chip crumbs wondering what happened.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    For me, the answer is substitution. Rather than ice cream, I make a sorbet. Rather than chips, I cut peppers and eat with hummus. I use zoodles in lieu of pasta.

When I have a blow/out (like today’s 3500+), it’s typically on nuts, granola & dried fruit type things. Crazy, I know.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have ice cream every day and I’m able to have my planned serving and be happy, but a family sized bag of m & ms with peanuts will be gone in 3 days. I’ve eaten them until I actually felt sick. So, I don’t buy candy. My husband eats candy every day and he even agreed to stop by 7-11 on the way home from work, to buy just what he wants to eat that night. No left overs, because it will call my name!!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think abstaining from foods that will make you sick is deprivation at all. For about 5 years I believed I was allergic to peanuts, so I avoided everything with peanuts. Not deprivation because I wanted to live, lol. Got tested...not allergic so now snickers & especially peanut m&m's are not safe around me...now abstaining is like deprivation.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    I don't think abstaining from foods that will make you sick is deprivation at all. For about 5 years I believed I was allergic to peanuts, so I avoided everything with peanuts. Not deprivation because I wanted to live, lol. Got tested...not allergic so now snickers & especially peanut m&m's are not safe around me...now abstaining is like deprivation.

Well, yes - but allergies is another story.

I'm sure nobody would argue that somebody with an allergy to a product should try moderation of that product - of course in that case it is full deprivation, no choice there.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. I must deprive Nutella. I can moderate ice cream.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Specific foods have an impact on my brain. Like if I eat some cheese or almond as a snack, I don’t think about food again until I’m hungry. If I have an equal calories’ amount of crackers or oatmeal, I will think about food until the next meal and crave specific things that aren’t as healthy. So I don’t eat the foods that set off the cravings. But because I lack cravings, I also don’t feel deprived. I don’t see it as deprivation...it’s knowing myself well enough to set myself up for success.

This applies for me. Once I realized it, it felt like such an appetite hack. It's *so much easier* to eat at a lower calorie level when I structure my meals on satiety and how they make me feel after eating them.

In conjunction with that mindful design of what I eat, I eat in moderation. I still eat the foods that set off my appetite, I just eat them in strategic ways that I've learned don't throw my appetite out of whack. For example, I love brownies, but just eating one small piece by itself turns my appetite up too high. I don't like that feeling at all. What helps is having a piece with a glass of milk. It's more calories up front, but it fills me up and ends the impact with that meal, rather than spreading a ravenous appetite afterwards. I haven't eliminated any foods, just found ways to eat them that work with me (which for some foods, just means having them very infrequently).
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    Moderation or deprivation is not really the point, is it. The whole idea of food consumption has morphed from being simply a fuel, into being a pleasure. If one treats food as a means to an end: to aid our bodies to function properly, efficiently and in a healthy fashion, there would be no question as to how we do so.

Animals eat for fuel. Being a 'foodie' is a human behavior. Change your perspective.

I strongly disagree with this. You can greatly enjoy and appreciate food while not being a glutton. Pleasure isn't in itself bad. You don't need to divorce pleasure from food to maintain a healthy weight.

I do think some people mindlessly use food as entertainment/pleasure though and feel entitled to ignoring a calorie budget. I think if a change of perspective is needed, it's being aware that calories have consequences and we don't get an unlimited supply just bc we'd like one. :D
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Moderation or deprivation is not really the point, is it. The whole idea of food consumption has morphed from being simply a fuel, into being a pleasure. If one treats food as a means to an end: to aid our bodies to function properly, efficiently and in a healthy fashion, there would be no question as to how we do so.

Animals eat for fuel. Being a 'foodie' is a human behavior. Change your perspective.

You clearly aren't Italian :D

:D:D:D

That was my first thought!