Gym for 3 months, not getting results...

Options
I hope you guys can offer some advice. I have been going to the gym every weekday for 3 months, since the start of January with 2 x 1-week breaks. I have done a couple of sessions with the PT to show me some exercises and how to use the equipment.
My goal isn't to lose weight. I had been dieting for about a year and lost close to 3 stone. Now I want to gain muscle and tone up. I've been using the Boditrax machine once a week to keep track of my progress. I do appreciate that the machine is never going to be 100% accurate. I just use it as a rough guide. I'm hoping that if it's not perfect, at least it can give me an indication if I'm working in the right direction. So, based on what Boditrax is telling me, not much is happening. My bodyweight goes up and down by a few pounds but my muscle mass - the goal, never really changes. I find on weeks when I gain weight, it tends to be in muscle then usually the next week, I lose it and it's at the expense of muscle. I don't really know what to do to kick it into gear.
I eat quite well, 3 square meals and fruit as snacks. I might have a beer and a takeaway once a week, but nothing overboard.
When in the gym, under the PT's advisement I have the following routine:
5 mins warm up on cardio
Bench 35kg 5 x 10 reps
10kg weights lift from the side to above head (sorry, don't know what that's called!) 5 x 10 reps
Core: Butterfly kicks 3 x 20 reps
Core: Sit-ups 3 x 20 reps
Lunges 10 on each leg x 3
Rope pully: 27kg "high to chest" 5 x 20 reps
Leg press 50kg 3 x 20 reps
5 mins warm down cardio

Usually takes me about an hour.
Sorry for the long post, I'm hoping some of you guys would have been in a similar situation and can offer me some advice on your experiences. How can I get the muscle gaining and turn the fat to lean? Is it the food? Not enough exercise? Wrong kind of exercise? Help!

Thanks for your time, in advance!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You say you "eat quite well," but are you logging your calories?
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in a surplus to gain muscle mass.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Food scale and a barbell. Lift heavy for you following a progressive lifting program. Stronglifts 5X5 or Strong Curves are popular lifting programs for beginners. Do that and dial in the diet.
  • chrisalanwest
    chrisalanwest Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, both for your replies.
    Not logging anymore, no. I'm guessing I should be.
    Boditrax says my BMR is 1961. What should I be eating to gain, in your opinion?
    Thanks
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Thanks

BMR is what your body needs if you are totally sedentary, like bed-ridden. What is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? You can calculate your TDEE at sites like scoobysworkshop.com or sailrabbit.com.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Yeah, it's hard to know what you should be adjusting if you have no idea where you're currently at.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Thanks

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When you say you want to gain muscle but tone up/lean out, if you eat in a surplus you will gain fat too. There is another option to gain muscle but it can be a bit slower.. recomp.. so eating at maintenance to lose fat and gain muscle over time. That could be a good option for you. Just make sure you are following a progressive lifting program, getting adequate protein and eating accordingly.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I wouldn't focus too much on that Boditrax, it can be inaccurate and based on water fluctuations... so just keep training hard and fueling and results will follow.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Change your workout as that sounds really poor, more like messing around with very light weights rather than a well designed program. Without an effective muscle stimulus you aren't going to get anywhere.

You haven't given many clues about yourself to help see if your timescales were realistic.
    You could be a teenage male or a an elderly female, but I'm guessing male from your username.
    You could be underweight, overweight or just right.
    You could be 5' or 7' tall.....
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Food scale and a barbell. Lift heavy for you following a progressive lifting program. Stronglifts 5X5 or Strong Curves are popular lifting programs for beginners. Do that and dial in the diet.

This.

And have patience. 3 months (minus 2 weeks..?) is just a drop in the bucket.
    Also strongly agree with looking into a progressive program.
  • chrisalanwest
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone.
    With regards to what I'm eating, on a weekday it is fairly standard, I have become used to it, what with dieting for a while.
    Breakfast: cereal with milk, 200 cals
    Lunch: sandwich and crisps, 400 cals
    Dinner: Varies, around 800 cals
    Teas and coffees (white with 2): 50 cals x 4
    Snacks: Bananas and apples, 200 cals total
    Obviously this is approximate but hopefully gives you an idea. Now I'm writing it down, it seems obvious it may not be enough.
    I just did one of those TDEE calculators, that suggests, with exercise 4 to 5 times a week, a figure of 2811.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? What has been going on with your weight the past few weeks, loss, maintain, gain? Also I may be missing it but I don't see a lot of protein in there or at least you didn't mention it. You want to eat at least 0.8g per lb lean mass or goalweight. You don't have to track your calories on here but it can help reach your goal if you are having trouble hitting certain numbers.
  • chrisalanwest
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Change your workout as that sounds really poor, more like messing around with very light weights rather than a well designed program. Without an effective muscle stimulus you aren't going to get anywhere.

You haven't given many clues about yourself to help see if your timescales were realistic.
    You could be a teenage male or a an elderly female, but I'm guessing male from your username.

Sorry, you are quite right! So many stats, facts and figures. I realise this info is important for your advice...
    I am a 35-year-old male.
    Currently, I weigh 82.3 kg and am 6'1" (185cm)

So, in your opinion, I'm not pushing my muscles hard enough?
  • chrisalanwest
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your stats? What has been going on with your weight the past few weeks, loss, maintain, gain? Also I may be missing it but I don't see a lot of protein in there or at least you didn't mention it. You want to eat at least 0.8g per lb lean mass or goalweight. You don't have to track your calories on here but it can help reach your goal if you are having trouble hitting certain numbers.

Thanks for this, sardelsa.
    I have been maintaining, give or take a kg in either direction.
    I think you are right. I need to be more disciplined with recording what I'm eating.
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone.
    With regards to what I'm eating, on a weekday it is fairly standard, I have become used to it, what with dieting for a while.
    Breakfast: cereal with milk, 200 cals - Doubt it. Try a food scale.
    Lunch: sandwich and crisps, 400 cals - Doubt it. Try a food scale.
    Dinner: Varies, around 800 cals - Unknown
    Teas and coffees (white with 2): 50 cals x 4 - Maybe
    Snacks: Bananas and apples, 200 cals total - Depends on the size of the fruit. Try a food scale.
    And what I am doubting is that your calories are correct. Cereal and milk for 200 calories would be a minute amount of cereal.

Obviously this is approximate but hopefully gives you an idea. Now I'm writing it down, it seems obvious it may not be enough.

I just did one of those TDEE calculators, that suggests, with exercise 4 to 5 times a week, a figure of 2811. - Sounds like a plausible number.

• chrisalanwest
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Snacks: Bananas and apples, 200 cals total - Depends on the size of the fruit. Try a food scale.
    And what I am doubting is that your calories are correct. Cereal and milk for 200 calories would be a minute amount of cereal.

I just did one of those TDEE calculators, that suggests, with exercise 4 to 5 times a week, a figure of 2811. - Sounds like a plausible number.

Believe it or not, be and the digital kitchen scale are good friends! I always go from what's on the size of the box. For breakfast for example, usually Raisin Splitz. I weigh 50g into a bowl and add a splash of milk. And at lunch 2 x slices of Kingsmill, 90cals each. I weigh 10g of Clover Light and add a couple of slices of ham. It goes on...

So what are you suggesting I take away from this? I need to be disciplined with measurement and do what? Eat a lot more? The 2811 cals? More, less?

Thanks for your counsel.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Sorry, you are quite right! So many stats, facts and figures. I realise this info is important for your advice...
    I am a 35-year-old male.
    Currently, I weigh 82.3 kg and am 6'1" (185cm)

So, in your opinion, I'm not pushing my muscles hard enough

Absolutely!
    I always have a bad feeling when people state certain reps and weight - where's the progression?
    Those weights really are very light for your size and age. I'm a little old man ('ish!) and benching treble your amount for example. OK, I've been lifting since before you were born but you should be catching up rapidly.

But it's not just about the effort. A good program is also a smart program.
    The list of programs posted above is well worth a read.
  • quiksylver296
    edited March 2018
    Options

Believe it or not, be and the digital kitchen scale are good friends! I always go from what's on the size of the box. For breakfast for example, usually Raisin Splitz. I weigh 50g into a bowl and add a splash of milk. And at lunch 2 x slices of Kingsmill, 90cals each. I weigh 10g of Clover Light and add a couple of slices of ham. It goes on...

So what are you suggesting I take away from this? I need to be disciplined with measurement and do what? Eat a lot more? The 2811 cals? More, less?

Thanks for your counsel.

You eat 50 grams of cereal for breakfast, and that keeps you full til lunch? I am in awe.

Ok. Then, you need to eat more food like you said. Go for full fat dairy, fattier cuts of meat, ice cream, peanut butter, etc. Eat at your TDEE numbers and work a good lifting program.
  • chrisalanwest
    Options
    You eat 50 grams of cereal for breakfast, and that keeps you full til lunch? I am in awe.

Ok. Then, you need to eat more food like you said. Go for full fat dairy, fattier cuts of meat, ice cream, peanut butter, etc. Eat at your TDEE numbers and work a good lifting program.

Cool, thanks for that. Yeah, I became quite good at ignoring the hunger when I was dieting. I usually have breakfast, take the kids to school, go to the gym, go to office, have a fruit snack...

It seems I need to push myself harder in the gym and eat more (and appropriately).

It's funny because there are a lot of facts, figures and opinions on the subject. I've kind of gone with what the PT was saying to me, but he's never really been able to offer much advice when it comes to food. I've had this nagging suspicion that he didn't really know what he was talking about!! Money well spent!! :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m a fifty something grandma as weak as a kitten and your reps and weights seem low to me. My PT taught me to work until the muscles are close to fail at rep twelve. You should just be able to make it. If you are sailing through the reps you need heavier weights.

This is where the idea of a “progressive” program comes from. If your muscles are freaking out because all of a sudden more is required of them, that’s where you want them to be. Growing to meet greater demands.

Don’t skip leg day.