mandy220750 Posts: 65 Member
Started trying to lose in July 2016

Stopped November 2016

Restarted May 2017

Stopped August 2017

Restarted November 2017

Stopped end February 2018

Restarting from tommorow

I am lighter by 60lb but could have been much lighter if I had`nt gone off track

Don`t seem to keep going for a long period of time

Still need to lose about 80 lbs. I am an emotional eater and recently I am going through a difficult time with health issues.

Any tips on how to overcome emotional eating and to keep on track?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See someone to get some help with the emotional eating?
  • mandy220750
    Options
    I want to try and help myself. I have support from family and friends.

Who would I go to for help for emotional eating?

Have spoken in the past to doctors re being overweight but just told to try a slimming class and exercise

Done both of those. But still cannot keep going long term
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The best advise I can give would be to try and find other ways to deal with your emotions. When you feel the emotions that make you want to eat, try for example to journal trying to find where those emotions are coming from, what caused them, and why eating at that particular moment won't help you. Also, try to find someone to talk to and help you handle your emotions.
  • mandy220750
    Options
    Thanks will try and write down in a journal when emotions make me want to eat and what the cause of the emotions are. Its so hard to lose weight and so easy to put in on!

Lots of people on here manage to get there. Just hope one day I am one of the success stories
  • glitterandsparkle8
    glitterandsparkle8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hiya ... you’ve basically explained myself there too.
    I’m an emotional eater also and can never go long term.
    Today is the first time in weeks I’ve found it hard to get through.
    Only way I’ve got through it is explaining to myself over and over how I’ll feel if I am to give in and wreck what I’ve done so far, I will feel terrible guilt, I’ll be in such a bad mood with myself
    So that’s what got me through is thinking of how good I’ll feel getting passed today and how bad I’ll feel if I don’t ...
    Feel free to add me as a friend as I don’t know how too yet. I’m newish
    You will get there
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A counselor who specializes in eating disorders would help with your emotional eating difficulties.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @mandy220750

Don't punish yourself for having a "bad" day.

That just makes you more emotional.

I've been maintaining my goal weight for 2 years, and maintenance is all about eating under your goal some days, and you also must eat over your goal some days. You know how to how to stick to an overall calorie limit, that's a huge battle won right there!

You've done absolutely brilliantly losing 60 lbs in that time! One of the reasons people fail is because they think they have to lose weight fast, and they starve themselves then can't last long enough to lose all they need to.

One of the General forum's "Helpful Posts" is all about the need for having diet breaks / refeeds.

It's highly recommended not to diet for long periods. It's also highly recommended to lose weight at a slow rate to last the distance.

You should pat yourself on the back for being a success story already!
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Try looking at hypnosisdownloads.com site you can download emotional eating hypnosis for a reasonable amount. You may find it helpful. They also have other dowoads too. Very effective if used regularly.
  • KellieLou84
    KellieLou84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i'm restatrting again as well... lost 40lbs but it all back on!! feel free to add me guys!!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Look into diet breaks. Lyle Mcdonald has done some talking about. Seems like what you have been doing. Nothing wrong with it.
  • mandy220750
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.

Have started back on the healthy eating and not binge eating now

Trying a herbal treatment for anxiety which may help my emotions

I am not setting a goal weight, I dont want to put pressure on myself

One day at a time, one pound at a time