Planning Ahead- For the First Time EVER

Options
13 day streak! I think that's literally (literally literally, not figuratively) the longest I've ever stuck with anything, let alone a dietary change. I've only had one slip-up day so far, and I've resolved not to feel too bad about it. I am recognizing some consistent day-to-day struggles though.

For one, while I have been meeting my calorie goals, I can't say the same for my macro nutrients. Invariably, I am over on at least one category. Sodium is also a thing I struggle with. Another problem I have is I am always running out of things I need, or have overbought and as a result stuff spoils and goes to waste. And lastly, one thing I'm not proud of (but I have to keep it real), more than once I've had no clue what to eat and got fast food on impulse.

So, in an attempt to solve all these little issues, I've done something I've never tried before; I wrote a meal plan! Yep, I sat down, looked at where I was struggling, and planned out a full week of meals and snacks that should (hopefully) keep me within my calorie limit AND stay closer to my macro goals.

I figured out approximately how much meat, produce, carbs etc... I need every day and wrote out a plan that includes specific options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and up to two snacks (as needed, really.) Rather than have an iron-clad schedule, these meals can be swapped around to match my needs. If I have a high-protein breakfast, I have a produce-centric lunch option, and so on and so forth.

Probably the greatest benefit to this is I have something ready for every day of the week, and plenty of options for healthy snacks, so I have NO EXCUSE to get fast food whatsoever.

I'm actually fresh from the grocery store with my haul for the week as I write this. I've never done a meal plan before, so I'll post an update at the end of the week, (the end of my week is thursday, don't ask why) and we'll see how I did. I'm so excited to get started, I've picked out some good meals for this week. :)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you are over on one macro one day, but a different one the next, then you are doing OK.

The meal planning is great for balancing nutrition AND for having a plan when life tries to throw an obstacle in your way. Make sure you plan includes things you like. It will make it easier to say no to an unexpected temptation if the full thought process includes "I am going to have pizza on Friday" rather than pure denial.
  • AllPositive1
    AllPositive1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    13 day streak! I think that's literally (literally literally, not figuratively) the longest I've ever stuck with anything, let alone a dietary change. I've only had one slip-up day so far, and I've resolved not to feel too bad about it. I am recognizing some consistent day-to-day struggles though.

For one, while I have been meeting my calorie goals, I can't say the same for my macro nutrients. Invariably, I am over on at least one category. Sodium is also a thing I struggle with. Another problem I have is I am always running out of things I need, or have overbought and as a result stuff spoils and goes to waste. And lastly, one thing I'm not proud of (but I have to keep it real), more than once I've had no clue what to eat and got fast food on impulse.

So, in an attempt to solve all these little issues, I've done something I've never tried before; I wrote a meal plan! Yep, I sat down, looked at where I was struggling, and planned out a full week of meals and snacks that should (hopefully) keep me within my calorie limit AND stay closer to my macro goals.

I figured out approximately how much meat, produce, carbs etc... I need every day and wrote out a plan that includes specific options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and up to two snacks (as needed, really.) Rather than have an iron-clad schedule, these meals can be swapped around to match my needs. If I have a high-protein breakfast, I have a produce-centric lunch option, and so on and so forth.

Probably the greatest benefit to this is I have something ready for every day of the week, and plenty of options for healthy snacks, so I have NO EXCUSE to get fast food whatsoever.

I'm actually fresh from the grocery store with my haul for the week as I write this. I've never done a meal plan before, so I'll post an update at the end of the week, (the end of my week is thursday, don't ask why) and we'll see how I did. I'm so excited to get started, I've picked out some good meals for this week. :)

Sounds like you're on a great track. I think I need to follow your lead. Good luck!
  • forumromanus77
    forumromanus77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are over on one macro one day, but a different one the next, then you are doing OK.

The meal planning is great for balancing nutrition AND for having a plan when life tries to throw an obstacle in your way. Make sure you plan includes things you like. It will make it easier to say no to an unexpected temptation if the full thought process includes "I am going to have pizza on Friday" rather than pure denial.

Everything included in my plan is stuff I like (or slightly tweaked versions of stuff I like.) Except the steamed vegetables, but hey, maybe if I start eating them on the regular I'll hate them less. XD
  • forumromanus77
    Options
    So, it's been a week. We stuck to the meal plan (sort of.) I had left one day open to go out to eat, because we usually do after pay day, but then later in the week we had sort of a.... disaster.... with one of the dinners and ended up ordering in. That aside, the plan DID help. Having meals prepped, and snacks built into my day made it a lot easier and more convenient for me from day to day. The husband and I are the kind of people who never know what we want to eat, so having a written plan to follow helped heaps. Overall, I think it was a good idea, and that I want to keep doing it week to week.

I DID end up with less waste, because everything I bought had a purpose in a meal I'd planned. One of my biggest problems is overbuying (because I don't really know what I want) and having stuff spoil, and that didn't happen this week. I spent MUCH less money, which y'know, is always a plus. :smile:

So... yeah. I'm gonna go look for some new healthy recipes, write out a new plan, and do my shopping for the coming week. This is awesome!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You're saying you don't know what you want. You don't have to answer, but I'm curious. How do you plan, when you don't know what you want? How do you order in, when you don't know what you want?
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    My daughter started meal planning for financial reasons. I like the idea of it, but like you and your husband my husband and I never know what we “feel like” having that day. How do you get past that?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You sound enthusiastic and committed! Remember, you don't have to change everything at once.. Make a couple small changes each week and you'll do great. It's a life long process of learning and tweaking.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Everything included in my plan is stuff I like (or slightly tweaked versions of stuff I like.) Except the steamed vegetables, but hey, maybe if I start eating them on the regular I'll hate them less. XD

I can state, from my own personal experience, your taste buds do change some. I now crave certain vegetables that I never liked in the past. Also, take it slow as stated above. I went too fast and I have had to play catch up! I would mention one thing, try to hit your protein goal every day of you can. Protein fills you up and will help stop lean mass loss. Cardio, just walking is great! Adding some resistance training is even better! Best of luck!
  • forumromanus77
    Options
    You're saying you don't know what you want. You don't have to answer, but I'm curious. How do you plan, when you don't know what you want? How do you order in, when you don't know what you want?

When I wrote the plan I just picked 6 things I knew I liked, and decided that's what we were going to have. It's when I'm put on the spot that I can't decide, really.
  • forumromanus77
    Options
    My daughter started meal planning for financial reasons. I like the idea of it, but like you and your husband my husband and I never know what we “feel like” having that day. How do you get past that?

Genuinely? I just picked at random, from things I knew we both liked. I did it in such a way that each day, I had a couple of things to choose from, from what I'd bought supplies for, and as the week went on I just prepared whichever options were left, if that makes sense. :smiley: I made lunches and things interchangeable so I'd still be able to get roughly the right amounts of my macronutrients and such.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

When I wrote the plan I just picked 6 things I knew I liked, and decided that's what we were going to have. It's when I'm put on the spot that I can't decide, really.
    And that's exactly why we plan meals ahead :)