Protein wake-up call

Options
Wow, I guess I really don't know how to eat! My daily goal for protein is probably less than half the protein I was eating before I started tracking here. Just to keep from going "too far" over I've had to have vegetarian dinners.

Now...what problems will I have losing weight if I keep a calorie deficit but go way over on protein? Or will I lose weight but have other health concerns?

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I don't think it's as big a problem as people make it out to be. You should just be able to process out the excess protein, as long as it's lean. If you're doing a weight routine you'll probably add more muscle mass, but there are more factors than just eating over your protein.

Your body uses what it can use and discards the rest. Sugars and fats are generally what stays stored.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If you are over on protein, make sure you drink a lot of water to help flush the protein through your body. I know that extra protein, over time, can be harmful to your kidneys. Not to think of all that saturated fat that helps clog arteries.

I would try to be more cafeful with it....but, that's my opinion.
    Good luck!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's not likely that you are taking in so much protein that it would be harmful.

People don't usually eat enough and this website way underestimates your needs for growth. If you are in a caloric deficit, protein needs actually increase.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I really don't know how to eat! My daily goal for protein is probably less than half the protein I was eating before I started tracking here. Just to keep from going "too far" over I've had to have vegetarian dinners.

Now...what problems will I have losing weight if I keep a calorie deficit but go way over on protein? Or will I lose weight but have other health concerns?

How much protein are you getting?

Truth is, MFP sets the protein at more of a minimum than a maximum. You're only going to experience kidney problems from protein if you're excessive (I'm talking SUPER high) or if you have a pre-existing condition.

I reset my MFP macros to what I have researched to be a healthy goal for me -- 40% daily calories through carb, 30% through fat, and 30% through protein. To give perspective, carbs have about 4 calories per gram, fat has about 9 per gram, and protein has about 4 per gram. With exercise, I should be intaking between 100-140g protein daily, and this is typically what I hit.

As for the saturated fats --- there are lots of ways to get protein without the saturated fats. Go for lean meats, and use protein supplements. I also love egg whites.

Long story short, I wouldn't worry about going over on protein so much. Many experts advise that the best protein intake for maintaining lean muscle mass is 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean muscle mass.

You can find your lean muscle mass by calculating your body fat percentage. Your Weight - (Your Weight x Body Fat Percentage as Decimal) = Lean Body Mass. You may use calculators to help determine your body fat percentage such as the one found here: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • BerkleyJL
    Options
    It's not likely that you are taking in so much protein that it would be harmful.

People don't usually eat enough and this website way underestimates your needs for growth. If you are in a caloric deficit, protein needs actually increase.

This makes a lot of sense to me, since I've continued to eat the way I did during my Marine Corps years. I deduce then, that as I increase my activity (running, calisthenics, etc) that my body will use that protein to build muscle and as I burn off the fat we may someday see my now-absent six-pack. :D
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I agree with the others about getting at least 1g of protein per lean body mass. For me that's roughly 130grams.

As for saturated fat. It is not bad for you. It is actually good. After muddling through all the broscience and big pharm deception, I quadrupled my saturated fat intake. I go for nice juicy T-bone stake, chicken leg and thigh, bacon, sausage. I bath my food in coconut oil. After 3 months, my LDL went down 65 points. I was pleasantly shocked.