Help, I've been sidelined....

Options
Ok, so I saw my orthopedic doctor today and I have shin splints. I love to run, am currently into my second round of Insanity and I love to work out in general. I was told no running, jumping or anything high impact for at least a month until I see the doctor again in September. He said I can swim or bike. I am a terrible swimmer and my tiny gym in my apartment complex only has a recumbent bike. I feel like this is not enough to satisfy my need to work out and get some cardio.

Taking any and all suggestions for what, if anything I can do in terms of working out. Please help, I am super bummed out right now.

Replies

• BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What about the eliptical? Thats not hard-impact.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What about hitting the punching bag?? I don't think there's any jumping involved and it will definately give you a cardio workout. Good luck and hope your shins heal quickly.
  • kerry1513
    kerry1513 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try some pilates or yoga. You can get a really good workout from those and work up a great sweat!
  • traceywaugh
    Options
    kettlebells are a good option i hurt my leg lst wk and was still able to do them and pump
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Aqua jogging. Sounds lame but I know a lot of elite runners that do it. You won't lose any of your fitness and you still use all the same mechanics.
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was told the same thing a couple months ago for hip bursitis. I ended up doing a very modified 30DS (toe touches instead of jumping jax, step touches instead of butt kicks, etc) and the upper body only for Wii Just Dance. It was still frustrating because I was on wk7of C25K and I would have to go back as many wks as I missed. Ugh! Anyhoo, it satisfied enough of the urge and as I got better I was able to add a bit more in. I'm just now running again. Slowly, but surely. Hang in there and let your body heal. Good luck!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    zumba isn't high impact

I have a stress fracture in my left calf and I can handle zumba and the elliptical just fine without it hurting at all
  • corbansmom
    Options
    Interested what others suggest...having similar issue.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Doc said probably no to the elliptical....I do have p90x and I recall that yogax was a good sweat workout...might look into that. Thanks for the ideas all.