46 and getting healthy!

Options
Just to say... Has is anyone else wondered why they've just realised in their 40's how important it is to try and be heathy?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    IDK. I just got fed up with the stress of never getting "enough" junk food and being overweight.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    bisto1971 wrote: »
    Just to say... Has is anyone else wondered why they've just realised in their 40's how important it is to try and be heathy?

I hear women my age and older blaming their age on their lack of success. It's yet another excuse in my opinion.
  • bisto1971
    bisto1971 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »

I hear women my age and older blaming their age on their lack of success. It's yet another excuse in my opinion.

I must say though in reply, since reaching my forties, trying to maintain weight is way harder...
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Not sure all that is true as I was 50 when I started and as long as I stuck to deficit eating and exercise I continue to lose weight and now readjusted goals as I am close to original loss I thought I wanted and now want more. I think society has gotten so used to being sedentary and eating such large meals we need to retrain the brain and it is much easier to sit there and say I am too old and it is too hard.

As my husband says "you really don't see a lot of old fat people". Now I am not saying it is always easy but I think you can lose at any age.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @Sparkeysworld ...Fantastic work my friend. Age is only a number. It's all about commitment and determination. Well done!
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    NanP135 wrote: »
    Not sure all that is true as I was 50 when I started and as long as I stuck to deficit eating and exercise I continue to lose weight and now readjusted goals as I am close to original loss I thought I wanted and now want more. I think society has gotten so used to being sedentary and eating such large meals we need to retrain the brain and it is much easier to sit there and say I am too old and it is too hard.

As my husband says "you really don't see a lot of old fat people". Now I am not saying it is always easy but I think you can lose at any age.

Are you trying to imply that "old people" are more fit than those younger, due to lifestyle decisions?

Personally, I see many "old fat people," and, often, losing weight due to advanced age has little to do with choice.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I'm a Dad to 5 and a Grandad to 2 - so I suppose you could call this a Grandad bod :D
    This was my first cut after 5 years off, back in 2013 (when I was 41).
    I went out to a social event, and the Wife showed me some photos a few days later, I was disgusted at how I'd let myself go (I have to admit I was ashamed).
    I was working long hours, eating rubbish and drinking far too much, I realised it was 'now' or never.

I started a cut the very next day, Just about 9 months between pics.
    And I've worked my butt off ever since.
    (first pic below is flipped, so they all face the same way, I've also had 11 sessions of laser tattoo removal, decent tan and you can hardly see them anymore).
    w5mifcvrasqw.png
    Pic below was 2015 somewhere around 8% BF.
    8dbadb8ga86i.jpg
    And the last one was last year somewhere around 6-7 %
    Sorry about the weird 'stalker' type smile, I find 'selfies' awkward :D
    bpwgcpm285o2.jpg

Currently 6 weeks into this years cut - 31.25 lbs down (2.23 stones).

Looking great, grandpa! Also, anyone who says selfies aren't awkward probably takes too many selfies.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Are you trying to imply that "old people" are more fit than those younger, due to lifestyle decisions?

Personally, I see many "old fat people," and, often, losing weight due to advanced age has little to do with choice.

I may be misreading, but I think they're more talking about "old" as people who make it into their 70s and above. Of course, I believe I've read studies that once you get into your 70s and above, being a bit overweight is actually a better sign of longevity than being a normal weight or underweight. I think the point is that obesity is more strongly linked to stuff that is likely to kill you before you're 70, and being underweight is more linked to stuff that will kill you over 70.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No. If anything just the opposite. Healthy is just a word since we are all dying technically every day. I wanted to enjoy life as much as possible.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

To the contrary, I think the implication is that fat people are less likely to live long enough to get old. Certainly, OTOH, disease causes many to lose weight precipitously shortly prior to death.

Me, I'm already somewhat old (62). Among my acquaintances, fat people around my age are on average notably sicker, less capable of routine daily life activities (yard work, stairs, moving a bookshelf, whatever), take more pills, are more often in pain, recover more slowly from injury or surgery, are more likely to feel negatively about themselves and their lives . . . among other undesirable side effects.

In response to OP: 40s are when lifelong bad health habits start to vividly come home to roost, for many. Smart people change. Not as smart people decline physically and intellectually more obviously and sooner. It's a choice. We all make choices. People making the "let's decline into disability and death" choice don't much post here.