Surfing keto newbie seeking new health peeps!

Options
bikini_bug
bikini_bug Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all, I’m here to improve my energy levels so I can surf bigger waves, longer! :-)

I’m attempting keto to help me get there. If anyone’s into surfing and keto, add me and let’s motivate each other.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    In my experiences and understanding, keto isn't the best way to do that.... But try it for yourself if you're determined to give it a shot!
  • karl317
    karl317 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In my experiences and understanding, keto isn't the best way to do that.... But try it for yourself if you're determined to give it a shot!

Wow, right out of the gate with the keto-downer :)

I wish you luck, bikini_bug. I do the keto thing myself with great success. Don't let the naysayers get to you. The best way to reach your goals is to do what's best for you. Take it all in, even the negative stuff. Come to your own conclusions.

• livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    karl317 wrote: »

I wish you luck, bikini_bug. I do the keto thing myself with great success. Don't let the naysayers get to you. The best way to reach your goals is to do what's best for you. Take it all in, even the negative stuff. Come to your own conclusions.

So I tried it myself, and read information about keto and exercise and came to the conclusion that it wasn't the best approach to take, then suggested the OP try it herself (because, that's the way we really learn what works for us or not).... But I'm a naysayer?

My post was almost the same as yours (except that my experience isn't positive) but without criticism of someone else's experiences.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My energy levels have improved greatly since starting keto last November. You can feel tired initially while your body adapts to running on ketones, but after that I found I simply have more energy. I don't surf but can now walk 10km at a brisk pace with no problem. I used to barely be able to manage 3k's at a steady walk.
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback and encouragement, all!

Nutrition is such a personal issue and the only way to know what works is by taking matters into our own hands, do our own research, and experiment things for ourselves.

I kicked off healthier living through paleo which has been a positive experience for me for the most part when I have been discipline enough to follow it. :-) Through paleo, I then discovered keto and appreciated how my macro intake can be tailored according to my goals (lean out, more energy). Excited to explore it and see if it truly takes my health to another level in a sustainable way.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    bikini_bug wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback and encouragement, all!

Nutrition is such a personal issue and the only way to know what works is by taking matters into our own hands, do our own research, and experiment things for ourselves.

I kicked off healthier living through paleo which has been a positive experience for me for the most part when I have been discipline enough to follow it. :-) Through paleo, I then discovered keto and appreciated how my macro intake can be tailored according to my goals (lean out, more energy). Excited to explore it and see if it truly takes my health to another level in a sustainable way.

Leaning out does not require keto, simply a calorie deficit. I didn't experience any better energy doing keto....I also felt deprived of vegetables and fruit, neither of which are unhealthy or should be that limited imo.
  • FalcnGrrl
    FalcnGrrl Posts: 26 Member
    Options

The keto-downer strikes again eh? She lit up my post as well.
  • FalcnGrrl
    Options
    @karl317 how do you handle not being hungry enough to eat all the calories the mfp app goal set?
  • FalcnGrrl
    Options
    Hi all, I’m here to improve my energy levels so I can surf bigger waves, longer! :-)

I’m attempting keto to help me get there. If anyone’s into surfing and keto, add me and let’s motivate each other.

Im in week 2. Im here for ya!
  • marion1978
    marion1978 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m doing keto too, struggle to keep protein up without resorting to powder. Want to keep it natural.
    All friends, advice and support welcome!
    XxX
  • FalcnGrrl
    Options
    marion1978 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m doing keto too, struggle to keep protein up without resorting to powder. Want to keep it natural.
    XxX

Im trying to get my protein down lol. You can try collagen peptides instead of protein powder. I heard its more natural
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    msHyde413 wrote: »

The keto-downer strikes again eh? She lit up my post as well.

@msHyde413, "she" lit up your post when questioning your decision to cut your calories just because you feel like it. Nothing to do with you doing keto.

If you read my post, I never said don't do it. I said I'd personally done it, and researched it, and found that, for me, it wasn't beneficial in the way the OP was wanting....then told her to try it herself.
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    XxX

Hi! I eat a lot of eggs, organic bacon from Applegate (although there’s also paleo approved brands out there) and grass fed steaks (on top of collagen powder that I add to my coffee). Maybe some of these will inspire your protein choices too? Good luck, and excited to learn from one another :)
  • bikini_bug
    Options
    msHyde413 wrote: »

Im in week 2. Im here for ya!
    . Yessss! Thanks lady :-)

• marion1978
    marion1978 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    XxX

Hi! I eat a lot of eggs, organic bacon from Applegate (although there’s also paleo approved brands out there) and grass fed steaks (on top of collagen powder that I add to my coffee). Maybe some of these will inspire your protein choices too? Good luck, and excited to learn from one another :)

Great advice, thanks bikini_bug

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group. It's one of the largest and most active groups in MFP and where many Ketophiles tend to hang out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group