Do you think getting a DXA scan is worth it to calculate bodyfat % (especially if starting out)?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What does it matter, look in the mirror, if you're not happy with what you see, keep going until you are, if you are happy...stop and maintain.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    neely47 wrote: »
    rollerjog wrote: »
    Here is a good link for mobile body fat testing http://www.bodyfattest.com they have many locations in the united states, i see your in BC, I have used body fat test .com many times and they are really good, the person i have used is brain lee he is located in the seattle area, i think its a good idea to get a dexa or hydrostatic body fat test done, it gives you a good starting point, good luck

Thanks. But what is the difference between DEXA and hydrostatic body fat test?

One uses a machine to scan you. The other you get dunked into water to get your results. DRY/WET
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? If it's health, observe health progress. If it's looks, use the mirror and your own subjective satisfaction with the way you look. If you're looking to lose fat in general, a combination of scale weight, measurements, and progress pictures should be enough. If you're looking to achieve a specific body fat number for competing, then DEXA may be worth it to you.

I personally don't find it worth my money, but ultimately, you pay for what you feel is worth paying for. Even if your goals don't depend on knowing your accurate body fat you could still feel it's worth it to pay for a DEXA, and that's completely fine. What other people think is irrelevant.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    neely47 wrote: »
    rollerjog wrote: »
    Here is a good link for mobile body fat testing http://www.bodyfattest.com they have many locations in the united states, i see your in BC, I have used body fat test .com many times and they are really good, the person i have used is brain lee he is located in the seattle area, i think its a good idea to get a dexa or hydrostatic body fat test done, it gives you a good starting point, good luck

Thanks. But what is the difference between DEXA and hydrostatic body fat test?

DXA uses a form of x-rays to calculate the measurements based on tissue density.

Hydro measures the difference between your weight normally and under water; fat floats.

DXA is the most convenient because you just get undressed down to your skivies, lay down and get scanned.

W/hydro, you have to wear a bathing suit and drunk yourself under water and blow out as much air as you can out of your lungs (because air makes you bouyant and throws off the fat measurement) and you have to do this 3 times.

My hydro tech says that blowing out the air is the biggest problem for most people. The less air blown out, the higher and more inaccurate the BF reading.

So, for comfort and convenience, DXA is best but, if you're comfortable under water and have no difficulty blowing air out of your lungs, hydro probably will give you a lower BF%, as it does for me.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I found a Groupon for a scan close to my home that's originally $150 USD for $90. Don't think I'll buy it now since I can get In body Analysis for free at Mayo Clinic (not as accurate, but I'm not focusing on bf% at the moment). Anyway, my point is check to see if you can find a good deal on it first, and then decide whether it's worth the price.

DEXA scans only cost me $50...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I’m planning on getting one when I hit my goal weight. I love numbers and am curious not just about body fat, but bone density as well. I could see doing it yearly for progress markers after that.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're necessary at all, but it's a nice to have if you have the extra cash lying around. However, even dexa scans are not super accurate. See this article by James Krieger before you decide https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-6-dexa/

The whole series on bodyfat measurements starts here https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-1

It's an interesting read!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    No. I can't see the point. There are other ways to measure body fat % that don't involve what is in reality a medical procedure. Better yet, look in the mirror and judge from that. Not "trusting" other methods is not a reason for this.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I had a Dexa done and brought my Aria scale with me so I could see the variance and calculate accordingly on an ongoing basis.
    Turns out my scale is less than 1% off, so I'll wait until maintenance to get anothet scan