For those of you that have had any sort of success...

Options
2»

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Go with what feels right for you.
    I am working out at least 4x per week (mon- thurs evenings) as I have scheduled classes that I attend. In addition I try to get another two workouts in Friday evening and Saturday morning. This leaves me Sunday for rest.
    To get to this I started with a once a week class. Then to 2x per week. And so on.
    If you are new to your work outs then a day of rest between each workout is great. If you find, like I did, that eventually you need new and more intensive challenges. Add something to your week.
    What I would suggest is that what ever you chose to do. Try and make it a regular part of your week. For me, once I joined classes that had specific scheduled times. I made a point of going to every class. Kind of like going to work at the same time every day.
    This was my way of making a serious commitment that provided me with no excuses for skipping a class.

Good luck!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. So far I have been doing every day this week. I've really only just started exercising this past week, before it was whatever exercise I got at work 3 times a week. Then I started changing my eating habits, and now I've been jogging, doing lots of cardio. Even just changing the way I've eaten, without any exercise, I lost 7 lbs. in 3 weeks. I think every day is working for me though. I'm getting better at pushing myself. I looked at the calories I had burned on the Wii Fit (269) and we had a little battle. I wanted to stop, but I knew I could go just a little longer and burn a few more, so I did. I'm not doing strength training just yet, I want to lose some fat before I try to tone my muscles ;)

Great job! Strength training will only accelerate your fat loss. Muscle burns calories even when you're resting. Consider adding some weights to your routine.
  • mp09aap
    mp09aap Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    what works for me is walking a bit more but the main thing is that ive got no sweets in the house and most of the time no cheese. this means that im less likely to be tempted by things. it realy work. keep trying its worth it.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Your body does need some time to rest/recover.
    I have shed over 100 pounds and, for me, what has worked best is to exercise for 45-60 minutes 5 or 6 days a week - some days are very high calorie burn days (like when I do Zumba), some are low calorie burn days (long walks), and others are more focused on strength training. A balance works best for me, but my body does do best if it gets at least one day off.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 85lbs, 50 with mfp. I found switching it up helps but mostly listening to my body. If I felt like working out 6 days a week, I did...when I needed 4 then I did and when I tore the back of my foot off and needed a week off I took it. I also had to find things I enjoyed and could stick with and see myself doing for life and not just "until I drop x amount of pounds"....good luck!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    This is, sadly, not a success story, but a question to those who have had one. Did you find that working out every day vs. the recommended three times a week helped or hindered your weight loss/inches loss? I personally have been working out every day, and I have lost 7 pounds. I know eventually I'm going to hit that plateau but for now, should I do 3 times, 4 times, every day, or just what works for me?

I'm doing 6 times a week. I have divided my workouts to target certain areas of my body:

Shoulders, Back, Chest, Arms
    Butt, Hips, Legs, Full Body
    Abs / Core
    Cardio

I have a rest period of 3-4 days between each of the areas of focus. And, regardless of the focus area, I'm doing enough cardio to warm up (I usually use the treadmill or elliptical until I hit 150 calories) and then I focus on the area I need to. I use a calendar to color code which areas I work on for a given day. And, I never workout on Sunday... I need to rest completely at least one day. I use a website (http://www.acefitness.org/exerciselibrary/default.aspx) to help me figure out how to hit those different areas -- check it out, it is awesome for a workout novice like me.

I've noticed I blew through my last plateau and I'm just about 1/2 lb from my goal weight now. By next summer, I plan on sporting an awesome beach bod.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Your body does need some time to rest/recover.
    I have shed over 100 pounds and, for me, what has worked best is to exercise for 45-60 minutes 5 or 6 days a week - some days are very high calorie burn days (like when I do Zumba), some are low calorie burn days (long walks), and others are more focused on strength training. A balance works best for me, but my body does do best if it gets at least one day off.

Great advice and great progress.
  • cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and find what works for you. I started at 3x and now I work out 7 days a week, BUT when my body feels like it needs a rest I give it a rest!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I workout at the gym 5 days a week (2 days step class, 1 day Boot Camp, 1 day low impact aerobics/strength interval and one day just strength) - 2 of those days I also run in the a.m. and I run on Saturday or Sunday - in a normal week, so I take 1 day off. This week I have a 5K so I ran both Saturday and Sunday.

Do what feels right for you. I think 3 days a week is minimum recommended.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I had a gym membership and I hated it. I work with people all day and as an introvert, I can't do it on my free time. I want to hide in the corner and not talk to strangers. lol

So, we rearranged the house so I can exercise in the living room on a treadmill. This works for me.

I travel for work pretty often, so the weeks I'm gone, I might make it to the hotel's gym or swimming pool, but pretty often I'm working 12 hour days and don't make it much of anywhere. Worst case scenario I'll go to a store and walk around trying to keep about 2.0 mph pace. Much faster and security watches me. lol People leave other people alone in stores. It's great. And since I'm booking it, people assume I'm in a hurry and really leave me alone.

My goal is a MINIMUM of 3 times a week, 20 minutes. Don't care how fast or slow as long as I'm up and moving. So I can do it even if I'm exhausted, etc. When I'm home, I might go 7 days a week, I might go for an hour. Who knows. As long as I hit my minimum, I'm happy. I'm also trying to gradually increase my speed/distance. Some days I try to beat my time/distance, other days I just get in my 20 minutes minimum. This works for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I typically do 6 days a week, but not every day is as strenuous. Sometimes I run for over an hour. Today I did a half hour, 120 calorie burn, of EA Active Sports. If I go to the gym, I usually burn about 400, with a half hour of cardio and a half hour of strength. I just mix it up a lot.
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work out six days a week... Three days strength training alternating with three days pilates/yoga on wiifit (about an hour everyday), ripped off with about an hour leisurely-paced walk every night... So fast, it's been working well for me, 63lbs lost since mach!! :-D but I agree you should do what's comfortable for you (well, a little past "comfort", but don't hurt yourself)... I started with only 15 minutes morning and night, and worked my way up from there...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    When I was working 1.5-2 hours a day, five days a week (varied workouts, some cardio, some strength) I didn't lose as much as I do now. I'm working out one hour a day, six days a week. It's actually a bit less exercise, but still six hours a week.. and now I'm losing at least a pound a week. I think it takes some time, trial and error to figure out exactly what works for you.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    Remember that not only is exercise good for you.. But it releases Happy endorphin's! It is a win win situation! Do what you enjoy doing! Weather it be dancing or walking... etc.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    when i first started i tried to do at least 4 days a week and then that went to 7 days a week because i was able to. now i workout every other day but i have been injured the scale is slowly moving down though.
  • browngirl74
    Options
    My goal is a MINIMUM of 3 times a week, 20 minutes. Don't care how fast or slow as long as I'm up and moving. So I can do it even if I'm exhausted, etc. When I'm home, I might go 7 days a week, I might go for an hour. Who knows. As long as I hit my minimum, I'm happy. I'm also trying to gradually increase my speed/distance. Some days I try to beat my time/distance, other days I just get in my 20 minutes minimum. This works for me.

Great Advice. Do what is best for you. I know that if i worked out 6 days a week i would soon lose interest. I started walking more, biking with my children, little things, but fun things that didnt seem like exercise. Just basically trying to move more. Take it slowly and at your own pace, dont try and do too much to start with and GOOD LUCK x
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. So far I have been doing every day this week. I've really only just started exercising this past week, before it was whatever exercise I got at work 3 times a week. Then I started changing my eating habits, and now I've been jogging, doing lots of cardio. Even just changing the way I've eaten, without any exercise, I lost 7 lbs. in 3 weeks. I think every day is working for me though. I'm getting better at pushing myself. I looked at the calories I had burned on the Wii Fit (269) and we had a little battle. I wanted to stop, but I knew I could go just a little longer and burn a few more, so I did. I'm not doing strength training just yet, I want to lose some fat before I try to tone my muscles ;)
    Don't forget that your body needs rest so at least 1 day do something less intense, and as for strength training - don't put it off as it will help you loose weight too, more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn after you train - so very worth it - having lost 73lb I know strength training and yoga has stopped me having loose skin, my cousin did a crash meal replacement and no exercise and she now needs skin removal surgery!!!!
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    6 days a week for me, three of those I have two workouts a day. Didn't start that way (obviously), have become an endorphin junkie of sorts. Natural high on working out is my drug of choice I guess.... Seriously, your body will tell you what is enough through results and how you feel (whether you need more exercise or are doing too much).

Carefully track what you do, as a reforming fatty I believe that most folks tend to underestimate what they eat and overestimate their exercise. what makes MFP such a valuable tool is that is forces us to account for both honestly. Just my two cents worth.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This is, sadly, not a success story, but a question to those who have had one. Did you find that working out every day vs. the recommended three times a week helped or hindered your weight loss/inches loss? I personally have been working out every day, and I have lost 7 pounds. I know eventually I'm going to hit that plateau but for now, should I do 3 times, 4 times, every day, or just what works for me?

How is this not a success story???
    You've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks, that sounds pretty darn successful to me.
    I think that a lot of weight loss is about attitude and if you start out so pessimistic you aren't giving yourself the best chance to succeed.
    Just experiment and you'll find what works for you - if you exercise more you need to eat more, so see how that sits with you.
    And don't start panicking about a plateau - just because the scale doesn't move down every single day doesn't mean you've failed. It means you need to keep going and after a while you probably need to change things up a bit.
    You've made a great start, keep going and you'll be posting another success story soon :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    As i can't see your diary, just thought i would we send you some advice as daft as it might sound if your not eating enough , you are more prone to pick or give up . so advice below on eating your calories back and what goals to aim for according to your bmi..
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!