Starvation Mode- How to know you're in it and how to get ou

Options
2»

Replies

• nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump. There is great advice here and support!
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I know there are all kinds of opinions out there but the best advice I can give you is eat AT LEAST 1200 calories!! According to a lot of people on this site you need 1200 net but at the bare minimum everyone agrees that you need to eat AT LEAST 1200 calories. Good luck to you and eat some food! :)
  • ilovemyheart
    ilovemyheart Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ended up in starvation mode gradually by cutting calories to lose weight......... and when i stopped losing i would cut more calories until i was down to less 600 calories a day. I am now up to 1800 calories a day and am losing weight a much more healthy way. I'm not going to lie to you..... when you increase your calories your body will store them because it is scared you will starve it again.,.,., however give it sometime and it ballences out and the weight will start coming off. I added the calories fairly fast..... but offset it by increasing my exersise( believe me you will actually have energy to do this :) ) good Luck!!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You look at your caloric intake & see it. 462 calories eaten today? If you are truly ready articles then you are paying attention to them. Sorry, but you need to eat nutritional meals. Is this a for real question?
  • Ruddielle
    Options
    Hi. :) Don't want to gatecrash the thread but just wondering, is it possible to reverse the effects of starvation mode?

To the OP, you could try upping your portion sizes and maybe adding things to the foods youre already eating. Some salad dressing, honey in the yogurt, changing your fat free milk to 2% milk like someone already suggested. Little things like that start to add up. Good luck.
  • RedNeckGal1970
    Options
    "BUMP" You got a lot of excellent advise and info here today. I hope you will keep us posted on your health and progress in getting healthier. :)
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    its a myth dear..do some research..not just people say here. its all bro science

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE PEOPLE, AT LEAST READ THE MINNESOTA STUDY, PLEASE!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Please eat a cookie. Or a hamburger.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    its a myth dear..do some research..not just people say here. its all bro science

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE PEOPLE, AT LEAST READ THE MINNESOTA STUDY, PLEASE!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

This is such a terrible research study. It contributed to further research on nutrition, for sure, but the population and methods are so wrong and unethical. And it does not prove that "starvation mode is a myth". You should go back and read the results section. Do some research.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    You look at your caloric intake & see it. 462 calories eaten today? If you are truly ready articles then you are paying attention to them. Sorry, but you need to eat nutritional meals. Is this a for real question?

If you noticed, that was before dinner. I'm not saying after dinner was much better, but it was a lot more than 462. I obviously didn't finish my diary yet. I'm probably in a different time zone. Yes, it's a real question.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    W.T.F. ... I don't know how the wiki page on the MN study was supposed to prove "starvation mode is a myth" ... here are some quotes about the psychological findings:

"The full report of results from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment was published in 1950 in a two-volume, 1,385 page text entitled The Biology of Human Starvation (University of Minnesota Press). The 50-chapter work contains an extensive analysis of the physiological and psychological data collected during the study, and a comprehensive literature review.

Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) (a standardized test administered during the experimental period). Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression.[1]:161 There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation (one subject amputated three fingers of his hand with an axe, though the subject was unsure if he had done so intentionally or accidentally).[4] Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation.[1]:123-124 The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity. There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate. Some of the subjects exhibited edema (swelling) in their extremities, presumably due to the massive quantities of water the participants consumed attempting to fill their stomachs during the starvation period."

Here's the most important quote, IMO:

"One of the crucial observations of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment discussed by a number of researchers in the nutritional sciences—including Ancel Keys—is that the physical effects of the induced semi-starvation during the study well approximates the conditions experienced by patients afflicted with a range of eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. As a result of the study it has been postulated that many of the profound social and psychological effects of these disorders may result from undernutrition, and recovery depends on physical re-nourishment as well as psychological treatment."

... not only that, this study was conducted in the 1940s on men in generally good health, who had active jobs and were required quite a lot of physical work .... not a young woman in current times who has access to innumerable amounts of fast food and processed foods...

I must have misunderstood the purpose of posting the link.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    I ended up in starvation mode gradually by cutting calories to lose weight......... and when i stopped losing i would cut more calories until i was down to less 600 calories a day. I am now up to 1800 calories a day and am losing weight a much more healthy way. I'm not going to lie to you..... when you increase your calories your body will store them because it is scared you will starve it again.,.,., however give it sometime and it ballences out and the weight will start coming off. I added the calories fairly fast..... but offset it by increasing my exersise( believe me you will actually have energy to do this :) ) good Luck!!

Thank you for your personal experience. I know it's not going to be easy, but I have to do it instead of being reprimanded 24/7. I don't want to hurt myself.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    W.T.F. ... I don't know how the wiki page on the MN study was supposed to prove "starvation mode is a myth" ... here are some quotes about the psychological findings:

"The full report of results from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment was published in 1950 in a two-volume, 1,385 page text entitled The Biology of Human Starvation (University of Minnesota Press). The 50-chapter work contains an extensive analysis of the physiological and psychological data collected during the study, and a comprehensive literature review.

Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) (a standardized test administered during the experimental period). Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression.[1]:161 There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation (one subject amputated three fingers of his hand with an axe, though the subject was unsure if he had done so intentionally or accidentally).[4] Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation.[1]:123-124 The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity. There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate. Some of the subjects exhibited edema (swelling) in their extremities, presumably due to the massive quantities of water the participants consumed attempting to fill their stomachs during the starvation period."

Here's the most important quote, IMO:

"One of the crucial observations of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment discussed by a number of researchers in the nutritional sciences—including Ancel Keys—is that the physical effects of the induced semi-starvation during the study well approximates the conditions experienced by patients afflicted with a range of eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. As a result of the study it has been postulated that many of the profound social and psychological effects of these disorders may result from undernutrition, and recovery depends on physical re-nourishment as well as psychological treatment."

... not only that, this study was conducted in the 1940s on men in generally good health, who had active jobs and were required quite a lot of physical work .... not a young woman in current times who has access to innumerable amounts of fast food and processed foods...

I must have misunderstood the purpose of posting the link.

Yes, thank you. Everything I was too lazy to quote. :smile:

Most people quote this when talking about "starvation mode". I have no idea why. There is real research on it out there, I just don't know why everyone turns to this super old unethical study.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, I don't know how how this study even relates to slowed metabolism (from starvation mode) causing the symptoms Colbiegirl posted about, or stalling out weight loss.

Rachel (I forget the numbers after her name, but it's a blue shirt in her avatar) posted a link to a MFP thread about starvation mode in modern-day women, and it's a great read. It doesn't completely apply to OP, but it does address how starvation mode happens and why it's so hard to recover from.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    We don't mean to reprimand you. I'm sorry, I might have been a little short in my reply, but I've discussed this with you before and you said then, maybe two weeks ago, that you'd add in more food slowly and I don't think you have. I think you are still afraid to gain weight back, and that is a valid fear because you probably will. But you are young, so young. You need to think of your health first, okay? The weight will come back off eventually.

Set a goal for tomorrow. Net 1000. Start with eating more at breakfast. Add a hard boiled egg or even TWO scrambled eggs. No more excuses. You know what needs to be done. Now just do it. We are all here to support you.