Suspension Training

Options
Looking for some people that are new to suspension training or have been doing it for a while. Basically wanting a group to chat with for tips and tricks to help each other get better. So hoping this becomes a great discussion!!!

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I just bought a suspension trainer this week! I've been doing a lifting program that includes pull-ups but don't have anywhere to do them, so I've been looking for alternatives. Just a week or so ago I realized that there's a beam in my basement (where I workout) that would make a perfect anchor for suspension straps, and then my in-laws sent me some cash for my birthday, and everything just came together. I've only done one workout using the straps for inverted rows, but it worked quite nicely. I'm not sure what else I'd use it for right now, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I also got a TRX this week too. Haven’t used it yet though but at least I knew enough to get the door anchor too. I have used it elsewhere and it can be a challenging workout. Thanks for starting this!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I use my tax at home every day. mostly for stretching
  • MattedTrain
    MattedTrain Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey guys responding to everyone without tags so hope you get this I like that everyone is newish and trying it out. I am glad people are actually happy to see a discussion on it and wanting to spread knowledge on it thank you to all that commented. I loved the workout you posted as well as think everyone’s ideas are great keep up the good work I’ll keep responding as much as I can.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

I’m curious about the stretching applications. Do you have any links to workouts/guides that you use, or do you largely freestyle it?
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I found this to be a short and sweet tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRRaPsrbtu4
  • MattedTrain
    Options

I’m curious about the stretching applications. Do you have any links to workouts/guides that you use, or do you largely freestyle it?

TRX app gives a free two weeks and it gives all their workouts for free.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

I did a Google search for "TRX stretches" and got a ton of articles and visual guides. I wouldnt make up your own ideas til you are well familiar with proper form issues.

Three key factors in all suspension training are body alignment, whether you're facing toward or away from the anchor, and proper strap length. These things are different for each exercise and stretch.
  • RaenaLynn
    RaenaLynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in installing a TRX system in my den. Has everyone here done it themselves, or hired a handyman?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The most you would have to do is screw the anchor into the wall or ceiling, properly secured of course . Mine is wrapped around a rafter and many use a door anchor that requires no installation.
  • MattedTrain
    Options
    Thank you lorrpb for all the information your giving!!! I’m glad people are getting use from this.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have an off-brand TRX (woss, maybe?) that I bought after taking TRX classes at the gym. You can find a lot of videos on YouTube and whatnot, but mostly when I use it I just follow the class formats I'm familiar with. Although when I really want to kick my own butt I have some TRX "force tactical" videos that I found online. My favorite part of suspension training how it works the core. I tend to neglect core work, but I do love doing mountain climbers, reverse crunches, etc.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The most you would have to do is screw the anchor into the wall or ceiling, properly secured of course . Mine is wrapped around a rafter and many use a door anchor that requires no installation.

I wrapped mine around a beam in my basement. The only tricky part was clearing out 115 years of dust.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I bought mine a while back. There are hooks you can get on Amazon so you can use a wall or ceiling. You just have to make sure you sink it into a stud or a beam.

I've been finding a lot of workouts on Pinterest as well.