Scoliosis

Options
Anyone out there have scoliosis? I just recently found out that I have it. I hear that there are special exercises that can help. Just curious if there's any activities I should avoid, and which ones I should focus on? Also do you think participating in a half marathon soon would be a problem?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I think a conversation with your doctor might be more helpful.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I think a conversation with your doctor might be more helpful.

RUDE!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Wise Orangutan

I have had scoliosis my whole life, while I was growing they kept tabs on the degree of curvature to make sure I didn't need a brace. But I ran cross country and played volleyball and soft ball. So, in my case it didn't affect my activity level.

But I think it depends on the severity of the individual case.

Good luck :drinker:
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I was told that I had scoliosis in middle school, but at that point the doctor said it'd be reversible. Now I don't notice it. But I did have to work on posture. Here's some stuff I did that helped me:

- Don't slouch. Keep imagining there's a book on your head and you always need to keep it from falling off while you're sitting. I actually used a water bottle on my head sometimes to help with this.
    - When walking, keep chest up, shoulders square, abdominals engaged, and avoid looking down.
    - Observe proper form of all exercises that you do, and correct any bad form you've gotten in the habit of doing.
    - Some light pilates and spinal rotations can really help the aches. In fact, starting every morning with just a few minutes of stretching and spinal warm-ups for pilates and yoga can make a world of difference in the day.
    - For the time being, go for low-impact exercises as often as possible (walking, swimming, biking). The half marathon is entirely up to you. I have a friend with scoliosis who did a full marathon, so I know it's possible...
    ... she did have to walk a portion of it, though, and pretty much lived on pain killers for the next month.
    I'd ask your doctor about the half marathon first, or just go with your gut.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Well he just said that I had a little scoliosis in my lower back and he recommended physical therapy. I also know someone who is going to show me some exercises that she just recently learned in physical therapy. I just didn't know if I should avoid anything particular activity.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I was told that I had scoliosis in middle school, but at that point the doctor said it'd be reversible. Now I don't notice it. But I did have to work on posture. Here's some stuff I did that helped me:

- Don't slouch. Keep imagining there's a book on your head and you always need to keep it from falling off while you're sitting. I actually used a water bottle on my head sometimes to help with this.
    - When walking, keep chest up, shoulders square, abdominals engaged, and avoid looking down.
    - Observe proper form of all exercises that you do, and correct any bad form you've gotten in the habit of doing.
    - Some light pilates and spinal rotations can really help the aches. In fact, starting every morning with just a few minutes of stretching and spinal warm-ups for pilates and yoga can make a world of difference in the day.
    - For the time being, go for low-impact exercises as often as possible (walking, swimming, biking). The half marathon is entirely up to you. I have a friend with scoliosis who did a full marathon, so I know it's possible...
    ... she did have to walk a portion of it, though, and pretty much lived on pain killers for the next month.
    I'd ask your doctor about the half marathon first, or just go with your gut.

Thanks. That was very helpful.
  • Kerry_v
    Kerry_v Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello :D, I also have scoliosis, osteoarthritis, curve of lower lumbar, and a fusion on L4-L5, a missing vertebrae on the right, that seems to have randomly grown just above my left hip. I am a fully qualified dance teacher and still dance everyday of the week. I've gained weight these past few months, as ive had an achillies injury along side more back issues, so havent been able to dance, just stand and teach :(. The things i struggle with are sit ups, and to be honest im in constant pain, but dance is my life and when i dance it doesnt hurt but the next morning im in tears trying to get out of bed, then take my tablets and i can dance again. So im a sucka for punishment really. I find a step machine is the only thing that doesnt agrivate it. Swimming did as it popped my hip out of place. Yoga didnt help because it was holding for long periods of time, (same as ballet does with me) But because i didnt find out till i was 16 and i wasnt giving up on dance no matter how many times ive been wheelchair bound since. I would suggest trying some activities, explain to the instructor who should accomodate you, and see how you go. But for me the pain free thing is a step machine and there are exercises for different parts of the legs/thigh/calf muscle that you can work on.. I would say dance, but with the amount of strain on a very healthy none slightly injured body its hard work. Good luck, and best wishes.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I have scoliosis since I was a kid. The best thing to do is swimming. While sitting I am also sitting on a ball which helps me to sit correctly. For walking I am using MBT shoe's that helps as well. There are also different exercises that you may want to ask from your doc as it is special for each person(it depends what type of scoliosis you have. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    My wife has it. Some exercises limit her, but she can do most of them. Pain would be your best friend here. If it hurts, meaning stabbing sharp pain, don't do it.
  • lilcuteness
    lilcuteness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've heard very good things about the video ( http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com/ ) marywilldiet mentioned from my friend whose daughter has scoliosis. She also used a Pilates instructor who specialized in scoliosis patients & this: http://www.schrothmethod.com/
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    My sister had Scoliosis (Dx: @10) because of the severity she did have to be braced for 3 years 24hours a day 7 days a week. As they lessened the amount of time in the brace her curvature got worse and had to have the surgery at 16. I know with the surgery they told her she can't horse back ride (jumping), skydiving, skiing etc due to the impact it has on the back. They also strongly advised against gaining large amounts of weight as it causes additional stress on the back and may increase the curvature over time (or if they have surgery it may harm the hardware they put in your back)

I know she still participated in gym class activities as normal, and they gave her exercises to do but i don't remember what they were as I was only 7 or 8 at the time. My mom said they told her to do a lot of abdominal/back exercises as that helps to strengthen the muscles around the spine.

Both my brother and I have it as well but not severe enough to be braced. They did not tell me or my brother to avoid any physical activities and i was very active (rock climbing, dance, color guard, etc)
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well he just said that I had a little scoliosis in my lower back and he recommended physical therapy. I also know someone who is going to show me some exercises that she just recently learned in physical therapy. I just didn't know if I should avoid anything particular activity.

I was told that too, just last year. I did PT for about 5 months and then decided to work on my own. I notice a difference once I have started strenghtening my core muscles. PT help because it showed me what I could do at first to help build the muscles up. Now I do basically everything that I did before and don't have a problem. Though it also depends on the person. I had a golf outing with work and told them about it and they said that I could participate as long as I listened to my body. I also played softball during PT.

Good luck!
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have severe kyphosis and was braced for two years as a teen. It has since returned (they later learned that it doesn't help to brace teens, gee thanks!) and I have completed two ironmans, several marathons, lots of triathlons and road races. So, what I'm saying is, it hasn't bothered me! It's always important to listen to your body, and if it starts to bother you, back off. It rest doesn't fix it, then go to the orthopedic dr.

The only think I can think of for scoliosis is your hips might be off which might create some issues running if your gait is uneven. You won't know until you try though!