Shin Bruise Advice?

Options
So a big bottle of shampoo fell right on my shin the other day and while I thought nothing of it at the time, I've developed a pretty painful bruise right on my shin. It only bothers me when walking/running, but sadly I was just getting into the treadmill so I've had to shift back to the elliptical for the time being.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice on things I can do to help it heal faster or help the pain go down so I can get back on the treadmill ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lilcuteness
    lilcuteness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Arnica...get the gel or the tablets. Most pharmacies & chain stores like CVS & Rite Aid have it.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    A hot compress with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water (as hot as you can stand it without burning) for about 15 minutes. Do that once per day and it should fade pretty fast. :)
  • allready_gone
    Options
    Ugh! The chance of a stress fracture from a shampoo bottle is slim but not impossible. If it hurts to walk/run don't do it. Stick to low impact stuff for two weeks and see what happens. If it improves try a small amount of walking/running and work back up slowly. If it doesn't improve...have a Dr check you out and remember that x-rays rarely pick up stress fractures unless they've already started to heal. Ice ice ice will help too!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Ice pack (10-20 minutes a couple times a day) for the first 48 hours - will reduce swelling/pain. Then HEAT (heating pad/warm compress) a couple times a day to increase blood flow to the area and help flush away the leaked blood cells, speeding recovery.
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    I agree with the heat compresses, NSAIDs and the possibility of a stress fracture. You didn't say how high on your shin, but I have a suspicion this may actually be a muscle bruise as well. This takes time to heal--up to a week or more.

What does this mean? It means you have to cut back on intensity, and possibly time. This means you will not lose as fast, but there are other methods to exercise. While you are healing you can swim, water walk, do water aerobics, do chair aerobics, ect. You may have to be inventive.

There is a difference between pain and muscle fatigue. The whole "no pain, no gain" idea is crap that actually causes problems. You should NOT hurt while exercising. Don't push your shin. If you can not tell a noticeable difference within a week, you should definitely get it looked at and x-rayed.
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah, I really don't want to be the "stress fracture from a shampoo bottle" guy at the doctor's office...lol.

Thanks for the advice. Since this happened about 4-5 days ago I guess I am past the ice part, I will try the heat and see if that helps and check out the Arnica suggestion.

I can do the elliptical with little to no discomfort.

Funny enough the walk to and from the gym is the real killer. The bruise is about 2-3 inches above the ankle and just walking is what really makes it hurt. Just a sharp pain when I am in motion, so I think maybe it is a muscle bruise too. And trust me, I tried to do the treadmill on Monday and that was enough for me to know I had to switch my routine for the time being.