Favourite type of cardio

niamhdean97
niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
What is your favourite type? Would love to lose some body fat around my tummy, arms and armpit area but I know you can't spot reduce. What cardio do you like? I have a 6 month old and work out at home so nothing too long would be great for me

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Running for me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I mostly cycle....usually 3-5 days per week. I also like hiking and a bit of rock climbing.

When my kids were smaller, I used to put them in a bike trailer and take them with me on my rides. My wife is a runner and she'd take them in the jogging stroller.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I like Bollywood inspired Zumba. There are some great videos on YouTube, nothing over 5 minutes long.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    My favorite cardio in the gym is rowing, it's the easiest for me to zone out on and still feel like I'm getting a good workout. For purely enjoyment purposes, my real favorite cardio is skating, there just aren't many places in my area to really skate though.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Run like Forrest Gump
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    swimming <3
  • jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    I like rowing in the gym. All cardio is a necessary evil.
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Hiking/trail running.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Favorite family-appropriate cardio would be tabata sets of varying cardio moves (1 set elliptical, 1 set jogging in place, 1 set shadow boxing, 1 set kettlebell swings, etc). I try to make my steady state cardio either something productive like raking or mentally enjoyable like going for walks outside. I just CAN NOT DEAL with more than 5 to 10 minutes of the same move on a regular basis. The tabata-like sets fixes that.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    hiking, especially when there is a great destination!
  • heatherjohnson1980
    heatherjohnson1980 Posts: 7 Member
    I've been doing HIIT (High intensity interval training) workouts on YouTube, specifically Blender Fitness. They have a variety of different workouts, different lengths, and most don't require any kind of equipment besides a yoga mat, but carpet would probably be okay. I've been doing different workouts to keep myself from getting bored. My heart rate REALLY gets going good with these workouts. I'm down 6lbs and 2 inches in my waist. My arms are getting toned, not bulky.
    I just started integrating LISS workouts (low intensity steady-state cardio), too, just for something different.
    I'm enjoying all of the free content on YouTube. Saves money AND I don't have to leave the house!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Boxing.

Real boxing, with 16oz gloves against an opponent.
    Not a cardio class wearing 4 oz gloves and hitting a free-standing "bag".
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Walking
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    I like Insanity by Beach Body (the original) and I also run. Love to hit the road!
  • cqbkaju
    edited April 2018
    I guess we might need to clarify the difference between "activity" and *cardio* for some people.
    The terms are not interchangeable.

"Physical activity is defined as movement that involves contraction of your muscles. Any of the activities we do throughout the day that involve movement — housework, gardening, walking, climbing stairs — are examples of physical activity.

Exercise is a specific form of physical activity — planned, purposeful physical activity performed with the intention of acquiring fitness or other health benefits, says David Bassett, Jr., PhD, a professor in the department of exercise, sport, and leisure studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Working out at a health club, swimming, cycling, running, and sports, like golf and tennis, are all forms of exercise."

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/basics/difference-between-exercise-and-physical-activity.aspx
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I guess we might need to clarify the difference between "activity" and *cardio* for some people.
    The terms are not interchangeable.

"Physical activity is defined as movement that involves contraction of your muscles. Any of the activities we do throughout the day that involve movement — housework, gardening, walking, climbing stairs — are examples of physical activity.

Exercise is a specific form of physical activity — planned, purposeful physical activity performed with the intention of acquiring fitness or other health benefits, says David Bassett, Jr., PhD, a professor in the department of exercise, sport, and leisure studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Working out at a health club, swimming, cycling, running, and sports, like golf and tennis, are all forms of exercise."

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/basics/difference-between-exercise-and-physical-activity.aspx

True, but some "physical activity" can be modified to become actual cardio exercise. My husband and I have this debate often. He says he gets exercise in because his job is not sedentary. I tell him, no, he doesn't. He gets activity in, but not real exercise.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Running on the beach is my all time favorite but due to injuries I can't run right now. So for now I hit the Elliptical as much possible.
  • cqbkaju
    edited April 2018
    True, but some "physical activity" can be modified to become actual cardio exercise. My husband and I have this debate often. He says he gets exercise in because his job is not sedentary. I tell him, no, he doesn't. He gets activity in, but not real exercise.

Unless his job involves being part of an exercise class then you are right and he is wrong.
    His activity level might be higher than average but that does make it exercise.
    Exercise is measured by things like VO2 max, Time Under Load and such.

Activity will not "become" exercise unless you raise the intensity and/or volume of something to high levels of effort for extended periods of time, with a high degree of frequency and some sort of measurable goal or outcome.

If you are not out of breath doing an activity and you are not doing it consistently enough to cause a physiological adaptation then it is NOT exercise and will not "become" exercise.

In other words, walking 2 flights of stairs at work occasionally is not exercise, no matter how winded you might be.
    RUNNING 2 flights of stairs 3 days a week, EVERY week, adding another flight of stairs in 2 months, with the eventual goal of running 4 flights of stairs in 6 months could be exercise.

Walking 1 mile, adding a bit every few days, with the goal of walking 2 miles is still activity because VO2 Max, muscle power / performance, etc. is not being challenged or improved.
    Endurance might be improving a bit but that is not enough.

Running 1 mile, while running a little farther each few days, with the goal of running 2 miles is exercise.