Healthier alternative to Peanutbutter?

Options

Replies

• tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I eat pnbutter every weekday before going to the gym. Smucker's Natural Creamy - nothing but peanuts.
  • fragilebeauty17
    Options
    I agree with PB2 for sure. organic almond butter is yummy too(:
    but if you're going to go for peanut butter I'd go with natural/organic pb instead of regular skippy or Jif
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    To all those posting "Just eat peanut butter, or What's wrong with Peanut Butter, or Peanut Butter is great", please keep in mind that there is a large population of individuals who have severe allergies or sensitivities making this impossible.

Recommended practices for dietary intake need to be accounted for ALL, and not just a %age of the population.

While we don't know what their reasoning is, the original poster was asking for alternative solutions and it's quite possible that allergies may be a factor (even if it's not stated).

the tittle is Healthier alternative to peanutbutter, not not allergy. and there is nothing not healthy about peanut butter

While that may be true for many people...it is not true for everyone...hence anyone giving nutritional advice needs to be concious and aware as to if given recommendations can be adopted by everyone and not just a select group.

For someone with severe allergies, Peanut butter would be most unhealthy. It is also unhealthy to assume that anyone can consume peanut butter without any complications, regardless of if it is nutritionally sound.

It's about being sensitive to all possible populations.

and if the OP asked about allergy alternatives that would be addressed I am sure, THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION. people gave opinions on the question asked.

let us not make things more complicated then they are
    oh and get over yourself
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    To all those posting "Just eat peanut butter, or What's wrong with Peanut Butter, or Peanut Butter is great", please keep in mind that there is a large population of individuals who have severe allergies or sensitivities making this impossible.

Recommended practices for dietary intake need to be accounted for ALL, and not just a %age of the population.

While we don't know what their reasoning is, the original poster was asking for alternative solutions and it's quite possible that allergies may be a factor (even if it's not stated).

the tittle is Healthier alternative to peanutbutter, not not allergy. and there is nothing not healthy about peanut butter

While that may be true for many people...it is not true for everyone...hence anyone giving nutritional advice needs to be concious and aware as to if given recommendations can be adopted by everyone and not just a select group.

For someone with severe allergies, Peanut butter would be most unhealthy. It is also unhealthy to assume that anyone can consume peanut butter without any complications, regardless of if it is nutritionally sound.

It's about being sensitive to all possible populations.

Without a full explanation of the dietary needs of the OP, no one would know the reasoning behind the need to ask for an alternative. Additionally, everyone's bodies are different and it would be impossible to offer any suggestions that can account for the dietary needs of ALL of the population.
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There is nothing unhealthy about peanut butter. Anything can become "unhealthy" if it means you go over your daily maintenance calories.
  • runnergirljaime
    runnergirljaime Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree, PB2 is a good alternative, but I personally like Maranatha organic peanut butter. It is so yummy :-)
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    PB2 (you can find it online). It is actually powdered peanut butter. It is healthy because most of the fat has been removed. You just add water and it tastes like regular peanut butter.

Nonfat food(s) are not automatically healthier. In fact, they are often filled with other nasties in order to take the place of the fat. Whereas, fat(as a macronutrient) is actually something our body needs to survive.

Ingredients: Peanuts, sugar (very minimal amount), salt (very minimal amount). Much healthier than regular PB which is what the OP asked.
  • Julianacaceres
    Options
    Make your own!
    For a nuttier taste roast some raw peanuts in a non-stick pan , stirring or shaking over medium heat without any added oil.
    In a food processor mix with extra virgin olive oil adding until it turns into a paste add salt and sugar to taste, or not if you dont mind the natural taste.
    That way you control what goes in it. You can also try it with almonds,sunflower seeds,hazelnuts or cashews yum!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well thanks to everyone who gave factual answers instead of just opinions or asking why.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    Trader Joes & Whole Foods carry a brand of Peanut butter that is called "Better than Peanut Butter"
    Here is a link to the website, I actually like it better than real peanut butter.
    http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php

Yuck. I hate that stuff no offense but it's nowhere as near as good as real peanut butter. Almond butter is awesome too. I agree go organic.
  • Ruddielle
    Options
    Anyone else really craving peanut butter on toast now? Yum! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Farmers actually farm peanuts to clean out the soil, and those peanuts are still used for public consumption. That measn that peanuts are full of toxins!

No, that's not what it means.
  • jessrentcome
    Options
    Fresh almond butter or cashew butter is great. Not nearly the same amount of sugar and all of the fat is the "good fat" for your body. Also there is sunbutter, which is made from sunflower seeds, and it tastes almost exactly like peanut butter. you can find all of these fresh at a HEB, Central Market, or Whole Foods.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Well thanks to everyone who gave factual answers instead of just opinions or asking why.

The reason why several of us asked why is because "healthier" is a very vague term. It's not really possible to give an empirical answer with any level of confidence without some sort of clarification and context for your question (and those that did give you the "factual" answer you were looking for was pretty much just coincidence).

If your question was "what are healthier alternatives to Oreos" then, of course, your intent is more obvious, because Oreos are obviously not very healthy, but your question was healthier alternatives to something that is already quite healthy. A better question for next time would be something along the lines of "I really like peanut butter, but I'm worried about the fat/sugar/oil/additives content. Are the other alternatives?" or "I really like peanut butter, but I seem to have a slight allergy to them. What else would you recommend?" or "I really like peanut butter, and I know the fat in it is "good" fat, but I still need to cut down on my fat intake. Are there an alternatives that have less fat in them?"

Check out this page - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/how-to-ask for some tips on asking a good question. The page itself is for a tech-oriented Q&A site, but its tips are useful in any kind of Q&A circumstance, such as this one.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    PB2 is great for counting calories bc you get 2 T for only 45 calories, instead of regular peanut butter 2T for 190 cals.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i like the jif natural, has less sugar and salt and i think i tastes a little better.
  • meaganobryan
    meaganobryan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    PB2 all the way! Especially if you aren't the best with portion control. It's a no brainer. Tastes great and there's a chocolate version :)
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    PB2 all the way! Especially if you aren't the best with portion control. It's a no brainer. Tastes great and there's a chocolate version :)

Went back 3 years to get this one?

Anyways, where is my jar and my spoon because I eat it like that all the time.

Love peanutbutter, don't need an alternative.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    PB2
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    0DH1926-4_with_zombie.jpg
    ^To answer the question and sound the zombie thread alarm at the same time...