Vegetarian protein and iron source for college students??

Options
*edit* sorry i didnt make this clear first, but a) i can only have a microwave and fridge in my dorm, b) I'm a true vegetarian, which means I don't eat any pig, cattle, seafood, poultry, etc! thanks for the awesome suggestions!!

I always have trouble getting enough protein and iron, I'm usually short of my recommended 52 grams of protein, and less than half of my 100 grams of iron. I don't have much money to get my own food, and nothing but a microwave. my college cafeteria inconsistently has chickpeas, but they do have dark green salad mixes and sunflower seeds I like.

what kind of things would you recommend to keep in my dorm room? I was thinking of protein bars for breakfast or something like that, as I like something small and quick in the morning, and learn to make quinoa in the microwave. any suggestions?

Replies

• joycieg
    joycieg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about protein shake/powders that you add milk or water to? I also take a women's vitamin with iron and an extra iron pill.
  • allready_gone
    Options
    Can you have a rice cooker in your dorm? If you can you can cook Quinoa in that. Beans are excellent complex carbs and protein....not sure about iron....I tend to not pay attention to it because it's not something I ever have trouble with. Do you have a fridge? Turkey and eggs (eggs are microwaveable) are good sources of protein also depending on how vegetarian you are. Some people will eat turkey and chicken, some won't eat anything with a face. I don't know what you prefer but if you eat fish then tuna is a FABULOUS protein source!!
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You could buy beans - I buy canned no salt added pinto. I mix them with salsa and dip rice crackers in it.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I really don't eat much meat. I rely on eggs, beans, quinoa and greek yogurt for my protein. Most days, I exceed my protein goal. Honestly, I enjoy these non-meat protein sources much more than meat. As for iron, I take a women's multivitamin every morning.
  • mdagenb
    mdagenb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds are a good source of protien and good fats :-)
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my go-to snack for protein. I also like cottage cheese (if you have a fridge you can use). Not sure what they're like for iron though.
  • Maxbjd
    Maxbjd Posts: 14
    Options
    I use Whole Food Soy Protein with Spirulina and mix it with Almond milk and fruit to make a protein shake.
    You might want to use a protein bar in the evening also. I recommend thinkthin protein bars.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 70 protein powder.
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    oh um dark green spinach has lots of iron and beans are good for protein and so is peanut butter
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Foods high in iron: lentils, adzuki beans, soybeans, garbanzo, pinto, kidney, split peas, rye, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, dried figs, apricots, and prunes, blackstrap molasses (controversy on the benefits of this)

Foods high in protein: beans, various nuts esp. almonds , pine nuts, pumpkin ans sunflower seeds, tahini, brown rice, broccoli, hemp seeds, green leafies

You could create a trail mix type of thing - being mindful of your calories - to get in more protein and iron.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave, then you can cook quinoa. It's cheap-ish and next to the rice in the grocery. Sure, it's not going to taste as awesome as it would if you were cooking on a stove, but it'll do. Make some, take it down to the cafeteria, mix in some veggies. Boom, dinner. It's similar to rice, but tastes a little nutty.

Quinoa serves as a complete protein, which is great. As others have suggested, you can keep a container of powdered protein mix in your room. The Pure Protein Whey chocolate one is pretty tasty. Jillian Michael's natural whey chocolate was terrible, imo.

As far as iron is concerned, you can take a multivitamin, eat a bowl of Total cereal, or keep a stash of iron-rich foods in your room. Morel mushrooms are high in iron, as are sesame and pumpkin seeds,
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    protein shakes....you can get ones that mix with water or juice/milk and they easily add 20-26 grams of protein per serving. I've used several different whey proteins that have only 100-130 cal and 2 carb, 1 fat and low sodium too.

You could try greek yogurt (the one I used to eat had 0 fat and 130 cal but 18 grams of protein)

I am currently about to try a vegan rice based protein powder to see how it tastes/compare.
  • Phoebe77
    Options
    have u gotten a refrigerator/freezer in your room or have access to one that you can keep meals in like frozen meals and such? If so Amy's makes wonderful vegetarian burritoes which could be an option to get some protein in and you could keep chickpeas in your room or even ask the cafeteria to make more choices like that available you may be suprised to how they may actually listen to your opinion about making things available like that also I love kind bars, pure bars, and cliff makes a mojo bar that is really good although of course you don't want to rely on those to much for your protein but can usually find the cliff bars generally cheaper at many grocery stores and they could be great options for breakfast as you already stated lol. Amy's also makes organic vegetarian soups and chilis that are canned that you could warm and eat. I haven't been a vegetarian for very long so you may already know about these things and I may actually need to be asking you instead of giving advice. You might wanna check out the kind life website for other suggestions kindlife.com . It is Alicia Silverstones website and has wonderful info on food and includes a forum section and recipes section. I know it has really helped me with trying to stay on track and come up with ideas. I know it must be difficult being on a campus especially when the U.S. is so meat oriented! Hope I have helped some. Oh and the protein shakes or almond milk shakes even with protein powder could be an easy on the go option to like Joy stated. Also if you have a small refrigerator you might even try asking about being able to use the kitchen to prepare meals alot of campuses are doing that now as well but if the cafeteria isn't providing the vegetarian options like it sounds and you have a meal plan with them and money is an issue I would clue them in to different things and just see how it goes you might be suprised they may listen and start making those options available :) Hope I have helped some. Sorry for rambling. Phoebe
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    I'd go with fresh baby spinach (in the bag/plastic container) and lots and lots of beans! Beans are so diverse, you can do anything with them. They're cheap and tasty and they're a good source of iron and protein!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    They make protein shakes that are made from soy, so I would really suggest trying one of those. You'll generally get more protein and less calories and fat with a shake than in a bar. As for the iron, I would just take a good multi-vitamin. I'm a little anemic anyways, and I very rarely get the recommended amount of iron, so I just take a pill. If I don't then I find I get insanely tired...not good for workouts. Oh, for protein you could also try some of the meatless options? Morningstar farms products are really good, IMO.
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a flavorless protein powder. You can add that to just about everything. :)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I make 3 bean salad a lot. You could easily make a batch and stick it in the fridge. Like others have said, nuts are great. Do you eat yogurt? That's high in protein and good for breakfast. You can mix in some raw sliced almonds if you like crunch.

Get yourself a mini food processor. That will help you make mini batches of hummus or other beans spreads that are good to eat with veggies.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Tofurkey sausages have been an amazing source of protein for me, and they are delish! Also, nuts, and almond butter with wheat crackers. Yum!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    omg that helps quite a lot! i might be able to do something about using the kitchen, since one of the two biggest majors are culinary!
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Edamame are great. I buy them already shelled in the frozen food section. You can cook them in the microwave. I cook a batch and parcel them out into small zip-loc bags a 1/2 cup each and put them in the fridge. I eat them in the afternoon. 1/2 cup has only 120 cals, 11 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber. A very healthy snack.