Most efficient way to cook chicken

Options
2»

Replies

• iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I buy the bone-in skin-on breasts, season them generously under the skin, and put them in the crock pot for the day. When they are tender and cooled, I remove the skin, de-bone them, and then shred, chop, or dice however I want and toss the meat in a container for the week. When the weather is nice, I do the same thing, but throw them on the grill until they are done - for that amazing summery smoky flavor.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why sous vide would be efficient unless you're talking about active cooking time (as opposed to passive). Even then it isn't anymore efficient that a crockpot/slow cooker. Sure it tastes great, but efficient it is not.

Efficiency is a measure of 'bang for your buck' in terms of effort vs. result.

Even at a similar effort level, the quality of sous vide cooked meats is generally better than what you'll get out of a slow cooker. The end product is also more versatile.

That said, the fact that food to be cooked sous vide can be portioned into individual servings/bags before cooking and then refrigerated/frozen/reheated directly in those bags is a nice little kicker.
    Yeah I think it depends on what you're looking at in terms of efficiency - active and passive cooking time, energy (as in kilowatts), etc. Cooking anything in a pressure cooker would beat sous vide hands down given the whole point of cooking most things sous vide is cooking food slowly, at a controlled temperature, and in a very closed environment (the bag you're cooking them in). A pressure also likely uses far less energy (which I was counting towards efficiency) but don't quote me on that.

Don't get me wrong, I like cooking sous vide and have been doing so for about 8 years, it's just not as quick as something like a pressure cooker in most instances.

edit: that said all of this assumes the OP has a sous vide appliance or a pressure cooker and thus could very well be a moot point.
  • broomjoanna2
    broomjoanna2 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I put mine in the crock pot- usually with broth- sometimes I pre season - ranch packet and taco seasoning maybe makes it taste like cool ranch doritos- usually just shred it after
    If I bake I pour jar of picante in top
    If I’m eating when it’s done and not meal prepping I brush with Cajun season and put in oven under broiler for 15 minuets flipping halfway through and dip in organic ketchup
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Propane grill. Quick, easy, and tasty.

Even better yet - smoked in a kamado cooker such as a Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg, etc. The chicken stays nice and juicy, and the wood-smoked flavor is amazing. Definitely not the most efficient in terms of time, but it's the best tasting chicken I've ever eaten. I do 10-12 pounds at a time (usually a mix of breasts and thighs), put some in the refrigerator for immediate use and freeze some of it in the vacuum-seal bags.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This is my favorite of all!

(I don't make the cheese sauce)

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/crispy-cheddar-chicken/641223c4-5096-4022-a5b8-583a1845bad8

0922e9d3-67d2-48e1-b410-e8ffea930695.jpg

I serve with these...

https://www.skinnytaste.com/garlic-cheddar-biscuits/

Easy-Garlic-Cheddar-Biscuits-550x388.jpg

Then throw in some green roasted veggies.

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    @Annie - Those both look so good! Thanks for posting. I'll definitely make those soon.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    @Annie - Those both look so good! Thanks for posting. I'll definitely make those soon.

I am having that on Friday. Both recipes are quick and simple to make. I make them about every two weeks. Both are also good as leftovers.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I find baking them in a dry rub (with whatever seasoning you like) is tasty and versatile.