Weighing portions

Options
So Wow,
I'm on my week 2 of calorie counting. I was a bit confused with how to weigh my pasta. I just learned that I'm supposed to weigh my dry pasta first then cook and weigh again due to the water weight will throw the original weight off. So I have been shorting myself.... :(

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    You can find entries for wet and dry. Accuracy can vary, of course; look for verified (green check mark) as those are more likely to be correct, though I have had a number of them not match the nutrition info on packages I scanned. But they usually are pretty close.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Let's say you weigh out 57g dry pasta, which has about 211 Calories.
    You cook that pasta in water, which adds zero Calories.
    The cooked pasta now weighs about 134g. It still has 211 Calories.

The only time I log cooked pasta weight is when I can not weigh it dry before it is cooked. In that case, I weigh my portion of cooked pasta and choose a MFP entry for cooked pasta.
  • pechez1972
    pechez1972 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks ill have to pay attention to the entriea because i havent noticed the option for cooked pasta.
  • pechez1972
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Question...I know its a dumb quearion but really i dont understand. When it states " .8 c or 2oz dry" does the .8 c mean cooked??
  • pechez1972
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

The only time I log cooked pasta weight is when I can not weigh it dry before it is cooked. In that case, I weigh my portion of cooked pasta and choose a MFP entry for cooked pasta.

Right right...i wasn't weighing anything dry before just cooking a bunch n then weighing after
  • pechez1972
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    pechez1972 wrote: »
    Question...I know its a dumb quearion but really i dont understand. When it states " .8 c or 2oz dry" does the .8 c mean cooked??

No - it's a measurement for dry pasta. If you measured out 0.8cups of pasta then weighed it, you'd likely find it was more than 2oz which is why weighing solids is more accurate than measuring