Why can't I?

Options
So I'm a huge My 600 pound life fan and the more i watch the more I can't figure out how they are able to lose hundreds and I can't seem to lose 35 and keep it off. I need my mojo back. Got on the scale this morning and I came in at 188 on my 5"3 frame!! Help!!!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Good analogy. But the habits of a 600 pounder are also way more destructive and ingrained than yours. Practice gratitude.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh, the more you burn, the more you lose, the less you weigh, the less you burn the more you have to do to lose etc I went from 308lbs - 220lbs still losing well trying to lol as I want to reach 140lbs and under but I have learned some things, it's quite eye opening and was disheartening at first, the more I lose the more exercise I have to do to burn the same amount and more to keep within my calorie goals, try not to get too upset, watching that show myself made me feel good at the time, motivated me but it then depressed me, losing the weight shouldn't be rushed, I would love to be your weight, I'm guessing those on that show would also, I'd be focusing on toning up more perhaps?, this journey is a lifetime thing,losing, gaining, maintaining, gaining, losing, maintaining again etc etc.. I hope this makes sense and I'm not talking BS and rambling on lol wishing you all the best ^_^
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't have a doctor telling you to lose weight or you're going to die, you don't have a camera crew following you around, and you're not carrying around so much extra fat that your body is begging to get rid of it.

Set your goal to lose 1 lb per week, take some time to figure out how to eat for the rest of your life in a way that's practical and enjoyable, and be patient. :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN do this. Find what it is that keeps holding you back. You state 'I can't seem to lose 35 and keep it off', does this mean that you have lost before? If so you know how to lose it, go back and determine what necessary steps in the weight management process that has you going back to old ways.

Do it slow, you want to be as comfortable as you can when losing weight. No need to revamp your diet so much that you cannot sustain it, keep eating the foods you eat now if you want, just need a little less of it every day.

When we reach weight loss goals, its not the finish line, you keep going and improving upon what you learned through weight loss and apply it to maintaining weight.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Kevin hall is a brilliant researcher, maybe watch this. https://youtu.be/hPi1LQHBWBk
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. All those months you are losing you aren't gaining. You might be going up and down but it's sure a lot better than a steady slog uphill.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Have you done things to lose weight that you can realistically sustain long term in your world?
    I know for me it is unrealistic to think I will go to a gym every day for hours or not eat foods I have eaten and enjoyed all my life.

Some people can lose by making big changes and some with just smaller changes. What I have observed is the big change people do great for awhile but then life happens and they start to regain and feel out of control. They seem to have a very hard time getting back to a rigid restrictive plan. Smaller change people seem to be able to go with the flow a little easier and get back to their weight management plan easier after a bump.
    I don't know that people doing big fast losses for tv shows are doing healthy sustainable things so may be poor role models.

I think viewing weight loss as something you do for a set period of time and then you are magically free and life will be greqt trips up a lot of people. You need to do something you can sustain long term. You only need to eat a couple hundred calories over your maintenance level on a regular basis to gain weight. Continuing to track food/watch portion sizes, weigh regularly, be active are helpful to managing weight long term. If something changes about your activity level you are going to need to adjust your intake.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you have body composition goals, eat and live like it's your job to be lean. It's no different than what people on the show do. They are being monitored and at the expense of being recorded of all their successes and mistakes, and they are mindful of that. Be your own monitor. Record yourself if you want. But you are accountable for all your actions.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Something I've found very helpful has been studying the habits of people who successfully lose weight and keep it off. The maintainers forum here has a lot of great insight, as does the National Weight Control Registry. I also found the book Thin For Life to be a great resource. I think people figure that losing weight is the hard part and they'll figure out how to maintain their loss when they get there, if they even think about it at all. I disagree, and think that it's incredibly important to lose weight in a way that focuses on successful maintenance as a primary goal. Good luck!