Healthy Food for people who don't know how to cook?

Options
I'm avoiding fast food but i feel like have nothing else but fruit to eat ....I'm saving lots of money by not eating out though...any tips?

Replies

• merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    How about grilled chicken and salad? Whole grains, home made salsa, pita bread and hummus, fish and beans are all yummy too!
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Amy's frozen foods; mostly organic, lots of veggie options, some low sodium options; 5 minutes or less in the microwave; available at Wal-Mart - doesn't get any better than that for non-cooks.
  • reneexnae
    reneexnae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I run into this same problem. I work full time and Im rush, rush, rush in the morning. I started planning my meals for the week which helps but it still isn't easy.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    great advice!
  • bonesfan
    Options
    rotissorie chicken, veges, nuts, cheeses

One of my fav meals is a bagel with plain cream cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, (or any other veges you want), chicken (optional), with a little mozzarella cheese. Toast the bagel, then put the other things on top of it, and stick in a toaster oven until the cheese on top melts.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Please learn to cook. It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself and the people in your life. It's not hard, I promise. Buy a beginning cookbook. Something that specializes in, maybe, in 5 ingredients or less. Or meals in 30 minutes. Please learn to nourish yourself. You will have so much MORE success if you don't get bored with the food you eat. It is very satisfying, even rewarding.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    idk how "good" this advice is because like the topic says I DO NOT COOK, lol. Sadly I thought I was gonna get some help for my misfortune. Alas, I have some advice, lol

Yogurt: so many different brands, flavors, organic, non-organic - find one or some you love and stock up, just watch the expiration date on it, and you'll be fine.

Instant Oatmeal is a God send. I just add the boiling water, and it holds me over quite well. So simple.

Bagels {I LOVE CARBS} and cream/cheese. keep that light though.

Protein shakes, protein bars, fiber bars are good: again, so many different kinds, pick what you like, and experiment. I like EAS CARB CONTROL {goes against my carb principles I know} I think it has 1/2 carbs, and no sugar, and 17 grams of protein, low calories so you can't beat that.

NUTS, NUTS, NUTS! Try to get these unsalted seeing as many don't have sodium occurring in it naturally anyway like almonds. Peanuts, Brazil Nuts, any nuts. They are high in calories, keep you pretty full.

Buy pre-washed salad mixes. I don't really like anything pre-washed/packaged except spinach. I buy the walmart or organic girl baby spinach. it's like 4bucks, and lasts for maybe 1-3 salads depending on how much you like.

go to the deli and have them slice you up some turkey/chicken for the protein, and it tastes good too, and won't spend a lot of money. careful, has a lot of sodium though.

you have the fruit down, drink all your water. maybe add some veggies you like.

last note: I still spend the same amount, maybe more eating fast food because i try to eat a salad every day. so I'll get one from chik fil a or wendys or subway and still feel good about my day.

let me know if any of this helps, I've poured my heart out, lol
  • leopardvice
    Options
    turkey sandwiches on wheat with lots of spinach, no mayo or cheese.
    yogurt and berries
    steamed fresh veggies
    tuna sandwiches

i always grill chicken and roast beets and bell peppers during the weekend when i have time and then make myself chicken salads for the rest of the week. that might be too much cooking for you.

if you did decide to try cooking skinnytaste.com has a lot of really good recipes ive only just started cooking since ive moved into a bigger house with a nicer kitchen.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You've heard of YouTube? Search for cooking lessons. If you have an idea what you want like say, smoothie, then go here http://foodblogsearch.com/ and search food blogs for suggestions. Most of these bloggers have good photos and step by step. And yeah, take cooking lessons--home cooking is cheaper and healthier.
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    When my daughter was 6 years old I started teaching her to cook. At 7 years she could make omelets, brown meat and make most simple 5-7 ingredient recipes. If a 7 year old can do it, anyone can!

Grab a beginners cookbook, watch some YouTube videos.

You have to eat for your whole life, you might as well learn to make the things you like with real, whole food!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was 6 years old I started teaching her to cook. At 7 years she could make omelets, brown meat and make most simple 5-7 ingredient recipes. If a 7 year old can do it, anyone can!

Grab a beginners cookbook, watch some YouTube videos.

You have to eat for your whole life, you might as well learn to make the things you like with real, whole food!

EXACTLY! This is exactly how I learned.
  • PatientBear
    Options
    I like to forage for food in the woods. Lift up some logs...lots of grubs and worms under there....mmmmm. Yummy and LOTS of protein. Also, there are many berry-bearing plants around and you can always climb a tree and get some honey out of a beehive. All of that keeps my healthy and doesn't cost a cent. Plus, it makes my fur shiny.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also don't cook much-- used to try then my husband started discouraging it. Some of us just don't have that skill set. :)
    Anyhow, I am often on my own for dinner (he works nights) and have tried to do away with as much fast food as possible.
    Some of my favorite low-cal stuff:

-Frozen pre-grilled fish (I think the brand I get is Gordons). Probably about 100 cal, there's a few varieties, and it takes about a minute or so in the microwave.
    -Tyson's Grilled & Ready chicken breasts. 110 Cal & Microwavable. Be careful not to overcook bc it gets rubbery.
    -Frozen veggies-- just toss in the microwave. I realize they aren't as good as the fresh stuff but it's better than nothing!

This summer, I have also ventured into the world of omelettes. I was hesitant at first bc it requires the top of my stove, but my frugal nature won out (eggs are cheap, protein-packed, and filling!!). Best summer purchase-- a mini-skillet. I think it's 7" or something-- Idk, I picked it up at the supermarket for a few dollars.
    Anyhow, this is what I do....

Spray cooking spray on the mini-skillet & turn on the burner (Mediumish?)
    crack 2 eggs into the skillet (140 cal) and break them up with a fork
    leave it alone for a few minutes (but don't start doing laundry in another part of the house. seriously).
    while it's doing it's thing, toss maybe 1/2 cup frozen spinach or peppers or whatever into the microwave for about a minute
    when it looks like the eggs are solidifying a bit, pour the veggies on top
    toss on a slice of cheese (I use nutritionless American for 45 cal) to glue the veggies to the eggs
    let the cheese start to get soft and the top of the eggs to get congealed
    grab a spatula or something to get under it
    fold it in half so the veggies are in the middle... kinda like a taco. It's ok if it breaks open a little.
    let it sit for a moment on that side then flip it so it sits on the other side
    remove from heat and enjoy!

Oh.... peanut butt & jelly (about 300 cal depending on choices) is always a good go-to :)
  • tinawhitlock
    Options
    You can make so many healthy meals for around $2.00 per serving with The Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker. Many of the meals are 30 mins or less also. You can even cook meat in it, in the microwave, and it isn't dry, rubbery, or chewy. Just an idea to save time and money while eating at home.

www.pamperedchef.biz/whitlockskitchen
  • martinezrl
    martinezrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a ton of vegetables in my house, specially because local farms are teeming with them. I often end up with stuff I've never seen before (Kohlrabi looks like the Toy Story aliens' heads.) but I take it as a challenge and look up really simple recipes online. I try to keep salads interesting by using a lot of different veggies and occasionally fruits and nuts and cheese. When veggies start to wilt, I put them in a quiche (which is like scrambled egg pie for dummies. Super easy if you buy pie crust). If you're trying to drastically increase your veggie intake, pick super foods like spinach, broccoli and kale, which have a ton of fiber. They also taste great when steamed with garlic or mixed in with pasta!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Years ago I went on Weight Watchers - that was back before there were points and frozen dinners that listed them. I HAD to learn to cook.

You can find cooking lessons all over the internet and on YouTube... go for it! You'll be much healthier for it!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruit/berries are a great on the go food. Sandwiches on whole grain bread chock full of veggies and hummus are soooo tasty. Peanut butter and apple slices on whole grain bread. Think of foods that require more assembling than cooking.

If possible invest in a steamer. It pretty much cooks for you. We stick corn on the cob, broccoli, carrots, etc in there and either eat as is or add a bit of teriyaki sauce. One of my other not so much cooking tricks is to get some aluminum foil, put some sweet potato chunks, carrot chunks, and parsnip chunks in the center. Drizzle with olive oil and pinch up the foil at the top to make a parcel. Stick in an oven at 350 degrees and poke with a fork every 15 minutes to check for softness. I know that is cooking, but if you're feeling adventurous, it's a good beginning :)
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ...I'm 21 its def time i learned *sigh* lol