Losing a pound a week just by doing jump jacks?

Options
Besides the obvious eating healthy and drinking water and all that, I heard that if you do 1000 jumping jacks every day (after a week, doing 7000) you'll lose a pound a week. The logic is that you burn 1 calorie for every 2 jumping jacks, so 7000 jumping jacks would equal 3500 calories. Is this true?

Replies

• jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I could definitely see that...I mean you are moving all of your body weight around and eating healthy... So I would go along with that one.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Besides the obvious eating healthy and drinking water and all that, I heard that if you do 1000 jumping jacks every day (after a week, doing 7000) you'll lose a pound a week. The logic is that you burn 1 calorie for every 2 jumping jacks, so 7000 jumping jacks would equal 3500 calories. Is this true?

Good luck keeping count...lol
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

haha!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    it is tough keeping count! I go in spurts of 25, and mark them on a small pad of paper I use for my exercise log. after 40 marks you are done for the day!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I believe that a healthy person can lose

a pound a week just by correct ; Food / H2O intake

and walking around the block 30 minutes a day!

just sayin'!
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could do that. you're working your whole body and keeping your heart rate up, so that will def burn some calories (just like running, jump roping, and swimming) it's going to be hard on your legs though. and it def won't be easy to do!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You would have killer calves by the end of it. I struggle just doing the 30 seconds worth on 30DS... I don't know how I'd get through 1000!!!!
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options

LOL so true. This sounds interesting though and could easily be done throughout the day. :)
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    While it sounds like a great way to lose pounds, I somehow doubt that my downstairs neighbours are going to be overly thrilled by my 300 pound frame bouncing above their heads, lol
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    GOOD QUESTION. WHY DONT YOU TRY IT AND GIVE US AN UPDATE? OR WHY DONT WE DO IT TOGETHER AND FIND OUT? IT MIGHT BE FUN.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    get yourself a really good sports bra chica
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I guess it could work.....I might try it out and see!! I like experiments!!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    In theory yes but remember that 80% success in fat loss is nutrition. If you did jumping jacks to a cadence of 80 bpm you can knock out 1000 jacks in 12.5 minutes - that's actually a great warm up or a nice workout if you are pressed for time. Best of luck and blog about your jumping jack progress.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

Good luck period!!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The arthritis in my shoulder yells after 15 of them! (actually before, but I don't listen right away!)
  • traut101202
    traut101202 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Very interesting....might have to give this a try!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I just added jumping jacks to my routine doing 30 in 30 seconds four times. So after doing them I thought is there a right way to be doing jumping jacks I dont want injuries. Looked it up on line and read that you should only do them every other day. I think I'll keep doing them evey other day, because they really raised my heart rate.
  • mjhuff1121
    Options
    I heard/read the same thing, and I'm trying it. I figure what do I have to lose anyways?! Besides weight. If I hurt, I'll stop. But I do 10 sets of 100 thru-out the day, and mark it on my exercise journal on here. I do 1 per second, so it takes me less than 2 min at a time to do a set. I do those while I'm waiting on the microwave, during commercials, and, since i work basically alone and in casual attire, I do them at work, waiting on the copier, or just needing a break from the computer. This is only my 2nd week, and last week, I manage 1000 on the first day, and only 250, and 350 on the following days I was sooooo sore in the calf!
    However, just in case it isn't accurate, I don't "eat back" those calories... Just sayin! :) Best of luck to you and I both! :glasses:
  • jojojosie343
    Options
    I read the same thing on pinterest and decided to give it a try too! It's only my second day so I guess we'll see but don't do 1000 all at once. Do 10 sets of 100 throughout the day and it's not as bad as it sounds! But like the others said don't eat back the 500 calories you're losing and drink water and eat right as well. Good luck!! :)
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me! It sounds similar to jumping rope for a workout.