Switching to a more plant based diet.

Options
clyn90
clyn90 Posts: 45 Member
My boyfriend and I decided we want to start eating a more plant based diet and cut meat, eggs, dairy, and processed foods out of our every day life. We don't want to go vegan but want to incorporate more vegan meals into our diet. This decision is based 100% on our health. I got really bad food poisoning back in September which has triggered a condition called colitis. I suffer from severe swelling in my intestine which causes awful pain and discomfort. I think a more whole plant based diet would make a huge difference. We also recently can't stand the taste and texture of chicken from our local grocery stores. Something about it just isn't right and I just don't want to eat meat pumped full of *kitten* anymore. We've decided that when we do eat meat it's going to come from our local meat market which buys from small local organic farms. Our goal is to really only eat meat once or twice a week, eggs on the rare occasions we go all out for brunch, no more milk at all (he will probably still eat yogurt) and to use cheese sparingly. Like I said, not looking to go vegan but want to lean towards eating more vegan meals than not. I've gotten to a point in my life that I can no longer just eat what ever I want and not be effected by it. I need to start thinking more about my health and the way I feel and less about weight and how I look. Those things are still important to me and I know a calorie is a calorie but I need to start focusing on what I eat, not just how much I eat. Anywho, I'm looking for friends (with open diaries so I can be a copycat) who eat similar to this. Vegans and veggies are welcome too!

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    "meat pumped full of *kitten*" sounds so wrong :lol:

I am a vegetarian (although I had to implement some meat recently for health reasons, and I am now just finishing up the leftovers now and then as I don't throw away food) and eat a lot of vegan means still since I used to be vegan :)
  • clyn90
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    "meat pumped full of *kitten*" sounds so wrong :lol:

I am a vegetarian (although I had to implement some meat recently for health reasons, and I am now just finishing up the leftovers now and then as I don't throw away food) and eat a lot of vegan means still since I used to be vegan :)

I totally forgot that it changes swear words bahaha
  • oburley89
    oburley89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting to make the transition too. He suffers from severe acid reflux and I feel like a more plant based diet will be beneficial for him in the long run. I'm doing it with his to be supportive so he's not doing it alone.
  • clyn90
    Options
    My wife's most recent bout of food poisoning came from a cucumber salad from a restaurant.

What I'm saying is, bon appetite, but sanitary preparation methods are more important to food consumer health than mere slavish devotion to youtube or Netflix videos.

I don't think OP's decision is about fear of future food poisoning, it's more about her impression that eating more plants will help manage her colitis.

Exactly! While I do fear it to an extent my diet is not changing because of that. My fear of it has only changed how cautious I am in food prep and kitchen cleaning! I am changing my diet to hopefully avoid flair ups of colitis which is incredibly painful.
  • clyn90
    Options
    oburley89 wrote: »
    My husband and I are starting to make the transition too. He suffers from severe acid reflux and I feel like a more plant based diet will be beneficial for him in the long run. I'm doing it with his to be supportive so he's not doing it alone.

I feel like having buddy in the house is key!
  • ilvme
    ilvme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I are kinda the same. We don't want to be vegan but will eat vegetarian or vegan meals more now. We hate chicken now, it's just gross unless I make chicken soup (with organic chicken) soo weird. I rarely eat red meat but we still love ground turkey. One thing we can't let go of is seafood. I'm always suffering from gut problems. I get bloated, or my tummy just hurts when I eat processed food or lots of cheese. Now I'm beginning to get acid reflex...ugh.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm a recent vegetarian (almost a month in) with an open diary who's always looking for ideas on what to eat. I'm also fairly lactose intolerant, so I generally avoid dairy, though I'm not super strict about it.

My boyfriend is an avid carnivore who will happily eat whatever I cook, unless I point out it's vegetarian then he thinks it's torture. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    clyn90 wrote: »
    My wife's most recent bout of food poisoning came from a cucumber salad from a restaurant.

What I'm saying is, bon appetite, but sanitary preparation methods are more important to food consumer health than mere slavish devotion to youtube or Netflix videos.

I don't think OP's decision is about fear of future food poisoning, it's more about her impression that eating more plants will help manage her colitis.

Exactly! While I do fear it to an extent my diet is not changing because of that. My fear of it has only changed how cautious I am in food prep and kitchen cleaning! I am changing my diet to hopefully avoid flair ups of colitis which is incredibly painful.

Wouldnt fibre cause issues - eating more plant based will surely increase fibre in your diet, which I would have thought would make your pain worse. (I had the worst digestive issues from eating too much plant food - I have to make an effort to reduce the amount and types of vegies I eat)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

Wouldnt fibre cause issues - eating more plant based will surely increase fibre in your diet, which I would have thought would make your pain worse. (I had the worst digestive issues from eating too much plant food - I have to make an effort to reduce the amount and types of vegies I eat)

This is what I was thinking. OP, you say
    I got really bad food poisoning back in September which has triggered a condition called colitis. I suffer from severe swelling in my intestine which causes awful pain and discomfort. I think a more whole plant based diet would make a huge difference.

With all due respect, it would be worth asking your doctor what dietary choices are likely to relieve/ameliorate/avoid triggering flare-ups, rather than relying on what you think -- unless you mean this is what you think after careful research and consultation with a medical professional. Has a doctor suggested, or have you considered, an elimination diet to actually determine what foods trigger the attacks?

My advice is in no way meant as discouragement for your food choices. I eat a diet similar to what you describe, for a variety of reasons, including that the foods I happen to enjoy preparing and eating fall naturally into that pattern.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation. I am eating the sort of mediterranean diet. 80% veggie, the remainder fish, eggs, almost no dairy can't give up cheese! a steak every so often. I got rid of chicken mostly, because its very processed and unpredictable and really I don't even miss it. My reason is similar to yours, I developed fat malabsorbtion, so fats were passing right thru me, and causing havoc when in certain combos. I took a long time to figure out that I needed to get rid of animal fats. I had already slowly increase my fiber thru beans and lentils, and supplements. Over time just trial and error I just had to figure it out. This site is helpful. There's of plenty online vegan, vegatarian recipes. But I will say this I wouldn't be quick to get rid of eggs. Eating plant based can be difficult to get protein. I supplement with one hard boiled egg per day, its a great food. And honestly help with my IBS symptoms. Dairy I'm with you, I think I might be becoming intolerant this is starting to become too common. :neutral: But I love lentils and black beans those help. Chick Peas are another solid protein staple.

Check out minimalist baker and vegangela!
  • mutantspicy
    Options

Fibre moves things thru your system, it cleans you out. So it will hurt at first if you go crazy. I would recommend not going overboard and just making a small shifts. Which sounds like what they are doing. Powder fibre supplements are helpful as well to help get your body ready for the shift.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I suggest changing your diet very slowly. Colitis can be made worse by high fiber intake and a plant-based diet is pretty high in fiber. Start with lower fiber things like bananas and gradually increase to find your sweet spot. Depending on your own particular case, you may or may not need to go on a low residue diet.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OP just to clarify do you have ulcererative colitis or Crohn's? Has this been diagnosed by a doctor and if so are you having a flare up or are recovering from a flare up?

I do plant based but not strict vegan. My diary is open. I like The No Meat Athlete cookbook and want to get the How Not To Die cookbook next.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    want to get the How Not To Die cookbook next.

:D I think we all want that one.

• clyn90
    Options
    OP just to clarify do you have ulcererative colitis or Crohn's? Has this been diagnosed by a doctor and if so are you having a flare up or are recovering from a flare up?

I do plant based but not strict vegan. My diary is open. I like The No Meat Athlete cookbook and want to get the How Not To Die cookbook next.

Yes it was diagnosed by a doctor. They said it was just plain colitis, not crohns and no ulcer. The doctors at the hospital said it was just an irritation from the food poisoning and should clear up in a week or so. When that didn't happen I went to my primary who told me this could be a permanent thing now. I was fine until 3 weeks ago when my kids brought home a stomach bug and I've been bloated and uncomfortable since. When I say bloated I mean I go from a mostly flat stomach to looking 5 months pregnant in just hours. My doctor and I are looking into it more but he told me a healthier diet (mine SUCKS) could be helpful. I don't think the fiber will be too much of an issue. The colitis does not have me running to the bathroom, just pain and swelling.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Yes it was diagnosed by a doctor. They said it was just plain colitis, not crohns and no ulcer. The doctors at the hospital said it was just an irritation from the food poisoning and should clear up in a week or so. When that didn't happen I went to my primary who told me this could be a permanent thing now. I was fine until 3 weeks ago when my kids brought home a stomach bug and I've been bloated and uncomfortable since. When I say bloated I mean I go from a mostly flat stomach to looking 5 months pregnant in just hours. My doctor and I are looking into it more but he told me a healthier diet (mine SUCKS) could be helpful. I don't think the fiber will be too much of an issue. The colitis does not have me running to the bathroom, just pain and swelling.

I looked many months pregnant with a rock solid, bloated, painful belly from eating too much of the wrong vegetables, prepared in the wrong way (for me). A healthier diet doesn't mean going to extremes!
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    Just be careful with fiber not to do too much too soon. You don't want to be constipated. also with something like this, being on this site is the right move. You'll need a food diary, make notes. People can offer advice, but none of us can guess how your body is going to react. In general, if you are upping fiber you need make sure you are getting healthy fats and fruit to keep things moving thru system. But certain fruits can be an irritant so... keep track get ideas from your doc. Good Luck