Day 2 - does drinking water help you loose weight?

Options
dianep658
dianep658 Posts: 1 Member
Question does drinking water help you loose weight?

Replies

• ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It keeps me from feeling as hungry as I typically would without proper hydration.
  • red_spider382
    red_spider382 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking green tea a lot lately and lost a pound. Pretty sure it's just because I stay fuller longer though
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sometimes, you’re really not m hungry, but thirsty, I think that’s why people always say to ingest water. People eat out of habit, not because they’re really hungry. Try lemon water or hot tea to see if that feeling goes away, if it doesn’t, then eat something, maybe an apple (with a protein, like string cheese or peanut butter or veggies with some dip/or a salad dressing) wait a bit, if your still hungry...I say go ahead and eat something else more filling. The last thing you want is to go to bed and wake up in the morning and find that you’ve eaten half your pillow. :) Listen to your body!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Maybe not.

But being well-hydrated is really important health wise. I credit it with helping me avoid headaches, have better skin than I once did, feel better in general...and it helps "get things moving" regularly and comfortably. What's not to like?

I also notice that when I go on trips and/or dine out a lot and eat more sodium, staying on top of my water consumption just makes me feel better and more "normal", and I don't find that I retain water and bloat like I do when I fail to hit my usual water intake.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    a little maybe. if you drink a lot of very cold water it takes calories to warm it up

It doesn't get logged as exercise. No NEAT or TDEE calculator offers to calculate your calories needed to ingest cold water. I suppose you could work out the formula and hide it behind a paywall.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Water is the best drink out there, I view anything with added sweeteners (soda, “energy drinks”, non low-fat milk, etc) as poison. In one sense water won’t help you lose weight or gain weight because obviously there’s nothing in it for flavor but if you’re on the mission to lose weight i think it is a great tool, whenever you’re hungry between meals and healthy snacks a good sip of water will take care of your hunger and you’ll just pee it out shortly, a win win, no calories, no weight gain and hunger is gone. That my $.02 on this topic.

Aside from the fact that I disagree with your views on added sweeteners

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I'm curious why low-fat milk is OK but whole milk isn't? Are you saying it contains added sweeteners?
  • BohseSteve47
    BohseSteve47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Water is the best drink out there, I view anything with added sweeteners (soda, “energy drinks”, non low-fat milk, etc) as poison. In one sense water won’t help you lose weight or gain weight because obviously there’s nothing in it for flavor but if you’re on the mission to lose weight i think it is a great tool, whenever you’re hungry between meals and healthy snacks a good sip of water will take care of your hunger and you’ll just pee it out shortly, a win win, no calories, no weight gain and hunger is gone. That my $.02 on this topic.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I'm curious why low-fat milk is OK but whole milk isn't? Are you saying it contains added sweeteners?
    mph323 wrote: »

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »
    Where does fat go when you are losing weight? You tinkle it out. So drinking plenty of water does help flush out the fat as you are losing it.

No.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10650701/biochemistry-answers-to-weight-loss-questions-where-does-the-weight-go#p1
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Non low-fat milk is higher in cholesterol and with diabetes sweeteners other than what is natural in different fruits are something I try to avoid but I do like to use Stevia in the Raw

Ah, so you were speaking to your particular health situation with the poison comment. I read it as a general indictment of sweeteners and whole milk in general and was a little confused.