Poor deadlifting hands

124»

Replies

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    I bought liquid chalk because the bars at my gym have next to no knurling. I ended-up using chalk for all lifts, part of routine now.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's no law against using straps. Straps are useful at times.

Deadlifts are not one of them IMO.

Hanging on to the bar is a key element of the deadlift. Your grip will not develop using straps.

Using assistance equipment does allow you to lift more weight but what does it mean if you can't lift the weight without wearing the equipment? What is the reality of benching 200lbs more by wearing a bench shirt?

What is the reality of deadlifting 500lbs if you have to wear straps to do it? The reality is you can't lift it.

But you say...I am not training for a competition, why shouldn't I use straps? Well, why bother wearing straps at all? Why bother? Just lift the darn weight as best you can by yourself. If you can't hold on to it you just aren't strong enough...yet. By not using straps, someday you just might BE strong enough to lift it.

If you can't lift it by yourself, you can't lift it. Period.

And how will you develop a grip strong enough to deadlift what you want if you always use straps?

Tearing a bicep using a mixed grip is similar to tearing a pec doing bench presses. Both these injuries just about always only occur with steroid users, whose muscles by their almost miraculous speedy development, exceed in strength the tissues that hold them together.

Have no fear of tearing your bicep doing deadlifts.

If your hands are too weak to hold on to the bar doing deadlifts, they won't get strong enough to do it if you use straps.

Anyway, do whatever you want. Just my two cents.

Tell you what.

Go and have a look at Stefi Cohen's instagram feed and then tell us this theory about not being able to lift it by yourself, you can't lift it.

I don't instagram.

If your grip gives out you can't lift it in the deadlift.

Period.

At the Arnold's, Stefi Cohen deadlifted 545 lbs at a body weight of 123lbs, which is over 4.4x her bodyweight.

She warmed up for that pull with a 500lbs triple.

This is regarded as one of the most impressive pound-for-pound lifting feats in the sport to date.

But she used straps so it means nothing?

You are literally clueless.

It means something but it was not a deadlift.

She used straps.

You, unfortunately are the clueless one.

It would be a competition deadlift in strongman. Just because it doesn't conform to your preferred rule set does not change the fact it was or was not a deadlift. I may not think sumo is a deadlift and I'd be right if I was in a strength lifting meet as they are not an allowed. I would be totally wrong if in a powerlifting meet, a demo, or the gym.

Don’t think that lift would count in strongman
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    I’m a fan of hook grip. I feel as though my shoulders are better aligned and feel as though I have a bit more torque on the bar.

There’s a book called ‘becoming a supple leopard’ that I found really useful learning form for deadlift. You can google it easily.

Well done on 30kg.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I use chalk! It helps me a lot, but it’s also a bit frustrating how reliant I’ve become on using chalk to be able to do higher numbers of reps.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    I ditched gloves a few months after I started lifting and only use chalk. I just bought straps but I am only using those for snatch grip deadlifts because my thumbs would be gone lol. I lift heavy 140kg and have callouses. My gym has a "Texas Power Bar" and the knurling on that bar is better than the other random bars so I use that particular bar. Anyway, your hands will get used to the bar after you lift for a while
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I really want to see people try to tell Eddie Hall, Hafnor Bjornsson, and a few others that they don't actually deadlift.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I really want to see people try to tell Eddie Hall, Hafnor Bjornsson, and a few others that they don't actually deadlift.

Having watched them in competition, most of them don't deadlift. It's a narrow stance sumo squat.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-rules-deadlift/

The Deadlift Set-up

The lack of rules regarding the Deadlift starting position are more important than the rules that do exist. We’ll start with grip. First, both hands have to be on the bar. Other than that, you can place your grip where ever you want so long as it is inside the collars.

Secondly, you can take whatever stance suits you the most so long as your feet stay inside the plates. There are no rules regarding how close or how far apart your feet have to be. If you want, you can put your toes to the plates. If you want, your heels can touch. Most people either take a very wide sumo stance or a conventional stance which typically features the heels about a foot apart.
  • stanmann571
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Hanging on to the bar is a key element of the deadlift. Your grip will not develop using straps.

Using assistance equipment does allow you to lift more weight but what does it mean if you can't lift the weight without wearing the equipment? What is the reality of benching 200lbs more by wearing a bench shirt?

What is the reality of deadlifting 500lbs if you have to wear straps to do it? The reality is you can't lift it.

But you say...I am not training for a competition, why shouldn't I use straps? Well, why bother wearing straps at all? Why bother? Just lift the darn weight as best you can by yourself. If you can't hold on to it you just aren't strong enough...yet. By not using straps, someday you just might BE strong enough to lift it.

And how will you develop a grip strong enough to deadlift what you want if you always use straps?

Tearing a bicep using a mixed grip is similar to tearing a pec doing bench presses. Both these injuries just about always only occur with steroid users, whose muscles by their almost miraculous speedy development, exceed in strength the tissues that hold them together.

If your hands are too weak to hold on to the bar doing deadlifts, they won't get strong enough to do it if you use straps.

Tell you what.

Go and have a look at Stefi Cohen's instagram feed and then tell us this theory about not being able to lift it by yourself, you can't lift it.

I don't instagram.

Period.

At the Arnold's, Stefi Cohen deadlifted 545 lbs at a body weight of 123lbs, which is over 4.4x her bodyweight.

This is regarded as one of the most impressive pound-for-pound lifting feats in the sport to date.

She used straps.

Agreed it's 100% not a competition deadlift. The use of straps are more definitive or universally outlawed in the powerlifting community, though factors such as using a deadlift bar, stance, or even enhancing drugs are not frowned upon in all feds and world records are broken regardless of those factors.

I hazard we all are in agreement its a amazing demonstration of strength regardless that she used straps.

I think its worth pointing out Stefi has pulled 225kg/496lb in a meet without lifting straps obviously. It just a matter of time and she will pull 545lb without the straps.

I don't think anyone here is not in awe of her strength.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Tell you what.

I don't instagram.

Period.

She used straps.

Agreed it's 100% not a competition deadlift. The use of straps are more definitive or universally outlawed in the powerlifting community, though factors such as using a deadlift bar, stance, or even enhancing drugs are not frowned upon in all feds and world records are broken regardless of those factors.

I hazard we all are in agreement its a amazing demonstration of strength regardless that she used straps.

I think its worth pointing out Stefi has pulled 225kg/496lb in a meet without lifting straps obviously. It just a matter of time and she will pull 545lb without the straps.

I know, I stated that.
  • stanmann571

Tell you what.

I don't instagram.

Period.

She used straps.

I know, I stated that.

I know, I agreed and felt it bore repeating.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

The Deadlift Set-up

The lack of rules regarding the Deadlift starting position are more important than the rules that do exist. We’ll start with grip. First, both hands have to be on the bar. Other than that, you can place your grip where ever you want so long as it is inside the collars.

Secondly, you can take whatever stance suits you the most so long as your feet stay inside the plates. There are no rules regarding how close or how far apart your feet have to be. If you want, you can put your toes to the plates. If you want, your heels can touch. Most people either take a very wide sumo stance or a conventional stance which typically features the heels about a foot apart.

In powerlifting but not in strongman
    TR0berts wrote: »

Having watched them in competition, most of them don't deadlift. It's a narrow stance sumo squat.

Having watched Eddie many times in my gym I’d have to disagree
  • Chieflrg

Tell you what.

I don't instagram.

Period.

She used straps.

I know, I stated that.

I know, I agreed and felt it bore repeating.

Well repeated sir...well repeated ;).
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2018
    jseams1234 wrote: »

The Deadlift Set-up

Not in the USSF a fairly new fed. Hands/arms need to be outside the knees. So no sumo or hybrid style of sumo.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    I really like the USSF rules. Getting rid of weight ins and changing to weight outs, OHP instead if bench, everyone pulling same, and judges not giving commands if I remember correctly.

Just living in Japan I’ll likely never be in a meet.