is it possible to make a waist smaller in width

Options
one thing that i am very insecure about is that my waist is very wide. i lost 10lb and my waist is still wide. i was wondering what can help with this?
i still want to lose about 8-10 more pounds

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How wide?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,716 Member
    Options
    What height, weight, age are we talking about?
    How wide is wide?
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How wide?
    I am 28 inches on my waist but it is the widest part of my body!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. All you can do is keep losing weight and hope that your genetics will eventually let the weight come off of your waistline.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The answer is maybe. A lot depends on your current size and how much left you have to lose, current body fat and, sadly, genetics.

Some people have naturally tiny waists, some don't - regardless of their size.

You can lose some size by diet (eating at a deficit) and some by strength training (muscle occupies less space pound for pound than fat does), but if your genetics predispose you to a wider waist... You'll hit a limit.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How wide?

What are your height/weight stats?
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How wide?

I am about 5'3 and weigh 136 lbs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce, so it may or may not shrink down, depends on your genetics.

What you can do is build up the muscle in your lats and lower body so your waist appears smaller and you have a more hourglass shape. But obviously it isn't that easy..it can take years and years of focused cycles of muscle building
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do, your natural shape can't be tampered with. I have a pretty thick waist, too. What you can do, instead of shrinking your waist, is building out your legs (particularly quads) and your lats, by lifting heavy and eating at a surplus. This will result in a more feminine X-frame hourglass type shape. It will take a long time and will be a lot of work, but it can be done. It's what I'm in the process of building, now.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Losing another 10 lb will make a big difference.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How wide?

I am about 5'3 and weigh 136 lbs.
    I’m 125 and have the same size waist, it happens ^^’
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5, 147lbs and measure 37 - 31 - 39. I'm in my 50s now, when I was in my early 20s I was134lbs and 36 - 25 - 37 (or thereabouts). 2 kids and a caesarean have not helped my tummy, but I know at my age to get much smaller all round I start looking really old and gaunt in my face (when I got to 140lb I looked so ill in photos!) I keep doing ab work to keep the middle aged spread under control, but the bottom line is I lost about the same number of inches off all my measurements so although I went down 2-3 dress sizes (depending on manufacturer) the proportions didn't change.