Raw veggie snacks what's your favorite?

Options
I always eat a raw veggie snack mid afternoon. 2 cups of some kind of raw veggie mix.

My favorite is baby carrots, tasty, filling, low calorie and fiberous, lots of vitamin A, potassium. I also eat raw zucchini slices, vitamin C, these aren't as filling though.

What are some of your favorite raw vegetables and why? Just looking for ideas to add variety to my meal plan to try to get additional nutrients. I know iron is hard to get from veggies, its one area I need to improve on. My diet is 70 to 80 percent plant based.

I do like broccoli and cauliflower also but they make me gassy.

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Straight up carrots.

I go through the 5lb bags like it is nobody's business. /drooooool

Maybe add in a low cal vinaigrette to dip your veggies in? If I just want a light coat, I'll actually cut my low cal ones with water to make it thinner and stretch out the calories more.

I have a low cal 'lite' raspberry vinaigrette from Simple Truth Organic that is 35 cal/2 tablespoons. Fairly thick, too - I actually cut it with water when adding to a salad, too.

I'd probably go half vinaigrette, half water for a salad, but 3/4 water, 1/4 vinaigrette for dipping.

So goooood.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of raw vegetables. I like cucumber, sugar snap peas, bell peppers (yellow and orange mostly), zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, kohlrabi, broccoli (the stalks more often than the florets), cauliflower, celery, radishes, lettuce, spinach. I don’t eat any one vegetable specifically for the nutrients it contains, I just like how they taste, and I like the variety.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    English or hot house cucumbers.

Radishes when they are in season. The bagged ones with the stems already removed are flavorless, in my opinion.

I partially cook (par boil) carrots, cauliflower and broccoli when eating them plain. Just a bit easier to digest that way for me.
  • mopsmom
    mopsmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I enjoy celery, snow peas ( I call them snap peas but the package says snow peas) cucumbers, with Traders Joes Three layer dip (cilantro, spicy and plain) Yummy...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    snap peas, carrots, and cucumber are about all I will eat raw, but I also have to have something to dip them in.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of raw vegetables. I like cucumber, sugar snap peas, bell peppers (yellow and orange mostly), zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, kohlrabi, broccoli (the stalks more often than the florets), cauliflower, celery, radishes, lettuce, spinach. I don’t eat any one vegetable specifically for the nutrients it contains, I just like how they taste, and I like the variety.

What is kohlrabi? Never heard of that one. I have to look it up.

Snap peas sound good. I never used to like radishes, but maybe I have to try em again its been a long time. I have a fat mal absorption issue, which used to cause peppers to give me IBS symptoms. But since then I've cut out animal fat except eggs and fish, and everything has been a lot better in that regard. So maybe they're worth trying again. I love those little baby sweet peppers.

But I have to ask broccoli stalks?? I have never heard of that before. Are they good? I know My dog loves em, even though he's not supposed have them they're bad for dogs, little thief snatches em up.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    7x4wjfg1ej5g.jpeg

Kohlrabi. I just peel them, cut them up, and eat them. They’re in the same family as broccoli and cauliflower (I believe) so they taste similar, but better. They’re one of my favourites.

When I buy broccoli I cut the florets off of the top, I usually eat those steamed, and I peel the tough outside off of the stalks and eat them raw.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Cucumber
    Peppers - the sweet minis that come in a bag are so good.
    Snap peas
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like edamame. I buy them frozen and let them defrost during the day. Very filling with a mix of macros.

Right now I have a tuna salad loaded with romaine lettuce, onion, and olives. I like having it on a rye cracker and a laughing cow wedge. It is loaded with texture and flavour.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices
    Mini bell peppers
    Heirloom cherry tomatoes
    Salad greens
    Sugar snap peas
  • Jrpwgr
    Jrpwgr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Garden tomatoes in season . Vine ripened garden tomatoes spoil me till I can't eat store boughts
    cauliflower, seems very filling for me
    cucumbers, peppers and radishes for flavor fixes
    carrots to get over the crunch-munchies
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Straight up carrots.

I go through the 5lb bags like it is nobody's business. /drooooool

Maybe add in a low cal vinaigrette to dip your veggies in? If I just want a light coat, I'll actually cut my low cal ones with water to make it thinner and stretch out the calories more.

I have a low cal 'lite' raspberry vinaigrette from Simple Truth Organic that is 35 cal/2 tablespoons. Fairly thick, too - I actually cut it with water when adding to a salad, too.

I'd probably go half vinaigrette, half water for a salad, but 3/4 water, 1/4 vinaigrette for dipping.

So goooood.

Ooh, I might try this with my favorite dressing from Trader Joe's--the Sriracha Ranch. I've been using it mostly for dipping with my raw vegetables lately, but at 80 cal/2 Tbs, I can easily double the calories that are in the vegetables. Maybe watering it down will still be good and save some calories. I never thought of that!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've been pretty much sticking to cauliflower, mini carrots, and grape tomatoes lately, sometimes with hummus or Sriracha Ranch dressing from Trader Joe's, but sometimes just on their own. At times I'll have English cucumber or raw mushrooms. I love me some whole black olives, but they have more calories, and too much sodium! :confounded:

I really like a lot of raw veggies, but I've been lazy lately and not branching out much. One of my least favorite activities is chopping up vegetables, and I don't want to spend the money on the ones you can buy already cut up.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can eat the crap out of kalamata olives and also dill pickles. So I keep them away because of sodium. That said, the curse of veggies is getting iron. And olives are a good source, but yeah the sodium is too.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Raw celery only because I never want eat after eat a giant stalk of it plain.

But cherry tomatoes are my favorite snack
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes. The unimpressive untrendy salad tomatoes. I grab and eat them like apples all day without any preparation or add-ins. When I was a child and we went grocery shopping, I would run directly to the tomatoes "mommy don't forget tomatoes". One would think a child would be more interested in sweets, but not me! I loved sweets but they weren't "essential", but if we didn't have tomatoes I used to proclaim "we don't have any food in the house!". I still feel that way and eat at least a pound of them a day.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    love raw cauliflower and diakon and jicama. mind you...I love most raw veggies. I even like raw sweet potatoes.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas dipped in soy sauce, because I don't worry about sodium ahaha

Radishes by themselves, broccoli by itself, cherry tomatoes by themselves.

cucumbers dipped in yogurt ranch