Working out during lunch hour worthwhile?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I workout before work so that I don't have to use my lunch break. I'd rather have more time in the morning when I'm on my own schedule. I might still get a quick workout in on lunch - 45 min stair master, or a 45 min elliptical or rock climbing. But that is in addition to what I did in the morning.

I like to use my break to get out of the office and away from people.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    I was doing it for a while, and really loved it, but then my childcare schedule changed and work got stupid. Now I'm lucky if I get time to eat at lunch. And with the extra expenses I have now, I can't afford a monthly membership, so it's back to my basement and typically after bedtimes.

But if I could get away for an hour AND have the money, I'd do it again in a heartbeat
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Take a walk, get some sun, and burn some calories... save anything sweat related until you can shower.

If the weather is decent, I'll take a half hour walk during my lunch break. Helps clear my head and get the blood moving after mostly sitting all morning.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I couldn’t get my session in. Gyms are packed at lunch and I lift for close to 2 hours even when I can get the rack, bench, or platform right away.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I’d rather just work out before or after work, and then then take a quick lunch. I’m not an hourly employee so taking a long lunch just prolongs my work day.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I used to love working out over lunch, for years—two different jobs. I did running, yoga, or swam laps—and occasionally other things (tennis, ice skating, walks). This was especially good because I had small kids, so doing it while I had child care was ideal. Now my job (which I love) and the work culture (most of us work through lunch) make it tough and I miss it. Mostly I work out after work now, which is ok.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    In my previous job I had a gym close by and would go in my lunch hour occasionally, I was lucky that I was able to work flexibly and so it didn't matter if I went over the hour so didn't feel rushed. I also found it energised me for the afternoon as well so was a win win.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did a deal with my boss to take three longer lunch breaks and two shorter ones in the week to give me more time for a decent exercise session.

Increasing my exercise volume by getting those three extra sessions in made a huge difference to my fitness and strength plus it reduced the impact on family and leisure time from my training schedule.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I work out lunchtime - I only get 35-40 minutes of actual exercise in, but I don't hang about - do super sets of two different body parts (ie squats and benchpress) so that one part of me can recover while I do the other set. I have noticed that lots of people just sit around checking their phones and chatting, so long work outs aren't necessarily any more effective.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    To answer the question, I personally hate the hassle of working out at lunch even though there are two nice gyms close to my office. I always work through lunch and often schedule meetings where everyone brings their lunch and we eat and work. That said, I don’t encourage others to follow my lead and believe that a noon break is good; I just don’t take one.

It’s not the duration of the workout that bugs me, because I only exercise for 30-40 min anyway. During my workouts, I’m speedy and intense. I just hate the mid day interruption. Instead, I choose to work out every day in the morning, at home. But we are all different.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've worked out at lunchtime for years and it is one of the best switches I ever made. Instead of sitting around and stuffing my face and having to make small talk with people I didn't want to talk to, I now get my workout done and can go straight home and relax after work. It helps that I have a great gym at work so everyday is either weights or a pickup game of soccer/badminton/floor hockey.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I sweat too much to try to go work out at lunch then get showered and back to work with hair and make up done AND be able to eat lunch. Too much! I work out in the a.m. before anyone else in the house is awake.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then yes. It's been a lifesaver for me, especially when the kids were small.