Night time snacking

Options
Does anyone else find it hard to kick routine??

I was always brought up having supper before bed, as we always ate dinner quite early, but as I have gotten older, cooking my own meals, being more in control of my food etc, night time snacking has gotten a little out of control. In the evenings routine is something that feels so ingrained into me. Even if I'm not hungry I'll still have something to eat....then often get carried away. When I am at home it usually isn't toooo bad because I feel like I'll be judged by my family, still over eating when not hungry though. But when I'm at university I find it really easy to be secretive about night time eating and have slyly brought up stuff hidden in my bag and hid it straight in my room and gotten through a pack of biscuits countless times. Of course it makes me feel horrible the next morning which affects my mood for the rest of the day.

How can I get myself out of this routine where I feel the need to eat something before bed which then leads to it being a little out of control?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Prelog everything you intend to eat, in your food diary.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I will even plan it out when I know my roommates will be gone... For me I plan it out ahead by pre-tracking so that I know what to have and when to stop. I am also practicing watching tv without eating because I know this is a bad habit, but it is sometimes a challenge as I get anxiety from it.
  • Bubblemar
    Bubblemar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. I will even plan it out when I know my roommates will be gone... For me I plan it out ahead by pre-tracking so that I know what to have and when to stop. I am also practicing watching tv without eating because I know this is a bad habit, but it is sometimes a challenge as I get anxiety from it.

Yeah I think I should maybe practise not eating whilst watching TV...think that's a easy bad habit to fall into.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    jwilk241 wrote: »
    Simply don't buy snacks that aren't healthy. If you just enjoy late night snacking that's fine, but buy things that won't kill you. Like baby carrots (no ranch), blueberries, raspberries, clementines, etc. Or if you really want a snack that isn't the best for you, pre-portion it out into ziploc bags so you aren't just eating until the bag or package is empty. Pre-log it into your diary so you can make room for it.

The only foods that will kill you are ones you have a medical reason not to eat or ones you acidentally choke on.

OP, I have this same problem at work. Can you find something to distract you or to keep your hands busy so you don't reach for the food? It wouldn't work for me but it might for you. :)
  • holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know this probably sounds silly, but once I am done eating what I've allotted myself for the day, I drink a good amount of water and then I brush, floss, and mouthwash. It makes me less likely to snack on anything once that's taken care of for the evening.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You mention slyly bringing up stuff hidden in your bag...Which is why I very much agree with the poster Topops who mentioned working on accountability. Nothing is ever really hidden. It's like that novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray." His face may have stayed handsome, but his picture rotted to match his actions. It doesn't matter if others know about it or not; you do and your body does. You're giving others too much power and importance if you delegate your accountability to them.

If an evening snack routine is something that brings you enjoyment/comfort etc, and you'd like to keep it for those benefits, then you can try reducing your calories earlier in the day to save room for calories in then evening. :)
  • jwilk241
    jwilk241 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Simply don't buy snacks that aren't healthy. If you just enjoy late night snacking that's fine, but buy things that won't kill you. Like baby carrots (no ranch), blueberries, raspberries, clementines, etc. Or if you really want a snack that isn't the best for you, pre-portion it out into ziploc bags so you aren't just eating until the bag or package is empty. Pre-log it into your diary so you can make room for it.

The only foods that will kill you are ones you have a medical reason not to eat or ones you acidentally choke on.

OP, I have this same problem at work. Can you find something to distract you or to keep your hands busy so you don't reach for the food? It wouldn't work for me but it might for you. :)

Can't tell if you're being funny or if you took my comment literally. But just in case...I obviously don't literally mean "kill you". It was in reference to "killing" your calories for the day.
  • Bubblemar
    Options
    I know this probably sounds silly, but once I am done eating what I've allotted myself for the day, I drink a good amount of water and then I brush, floss, and mouthwash. It makes me less likely to snack on anything once that's taken care of for the evening.

That's actually a really good idea, might try that tonight :smile:
  • Bubblemar
    Options
    You're giving others too much power and importance if you delegate your accountability to them.

If an evening snack routine is something that brings you enjoyment/comfort etc, and you'd like to keep it for those benefits, then you can try reducing your calories earlier in the day to save room for calories in then evening. :)

That hit me, I really like that saying! I think I'll try work on keeping myself accountable...in baby steps so first making better choices then gradually cutting it out my routine when I don't need it. Do you have snack ideas? I typically go for jam sandwiches or toast with peanut butter or biscuits, cakes and chocolate (but none moderately :D )
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Can't tell if you're being funny or if you took my comment literally. But just in case...I obviously don't literally mean "kill you". It was in reference to "killing" your calories for the day.

Thanks for the clarification! I actually did take it literally. People who demonize foods has become quite the pet peeve lately.

And, ugh, I totally typoed "accidentally". Another pet peeve (realizing the typo later on). :)
  • melwhite1019
    melwhite1019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem I think it’s a mental thing! I totally get it, that’s the hardest part. I even told my nutritionist it will be unrealistic for me to not snack at night I need realistic so she gave me some healthy snacks. I did have a banana creek oikos. I am craving for me but I am fighting through it. I need to start little changes! So happy to see I am not alone.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Snacking in the evening has been my downfall too. One thing that’s helped is doing intermittent fasting. The schedule I’m on has me stop eating at around 7 in the evening. I guess it’s just the mental thing about following that routine.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't sleep well if hungry. So I save some calories for a substantial healthy snack. Usually an ounce of mixed nuts or a cup of yogurt. The calories are usually cut from breakfast because I'm busy and not hungry in the morning.