The Chubby Tae Kwon Do Mom

Options
I started with Tae Kwon Do almost 2 years ago, and will be testing for my recommended black belt next week. I am so proud of this accomplishment but so embarassed by my chubbiness! I turned 40 this year which I honestly took a little hard. I feel silly because I am so blessed in so many ways and yet the only thing that I think of is that I have always been overweight, and I so desperately want to be thinner and healthier. So...I was very thankful when a friend asked me to join. I am on day 6 I think, and so far okay. I think the food log is the key. Anyway, those are my thoughts today. I'll weigh in on friday and keep my fingers crossed.

Replies

• AnotherMichelle
    AnotherMichelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your weight loss and your black belt! Im sure you'll succeed in both :) Feel free to add me for the added support!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I started with Tae Kwon Do almost 2 years ago, and will be testing for my recommended black belt next week. I am so proud of this accomplishment but so embarassed by my chubbiness! I turned 40 this year which I honestly took a little hard. I feel silly because I am so blessed in so many ways and yet the only thing that I think of is that I have always been overweight, and I so desperately want to be thinner and healthier. So...I was very thankful when a friend asked me to join. I am on day 6 I think, and so far okay. I think the food log is the key. Anyway, those are my thoughts today. I'll weigh in on friday and keep my fingers crossed.

From one once-chubby TKD mom to another... good luck and congratulations! Earning your black belt is a huge accomplishment!!! I earned mine last year and I am currently training for my second degree black belt. I'm in class with my husband and 11 year old son and they are both black belts too. It's a great way to get and stay in shape. So... great job!!!
  • pisces271
    pisces271 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    wow other than i'm not taking Tea Kwon Do and going for my BLACK BELT! (very impressive!) I turned 40 this year too and i have had a very hard time with that also - and then pretty much yeah - i'm also embarressed by being "chubby" and i feel like all i have ever done is obsess over trying to diet - trying to eat right - and not focusing on my success and blessings in life - i have found this site is awesome for the support and all the suggestions and help you can get - its definetly helps logging! if you need additionals in your cheering squad feel free to add me! Good luck with your test!
  • sabrinaard
    Options
    I am testing for my red belt actually this weekend. I am about 80lbs from where I would like to be. I get embarressed by the fact that I can't to all the techniques as well as all the skinny people can. I would would like to do some of my jump kicks and butterfly kicks with out pain. My husband and I don't test for our first black belt until March and hope to be a good 30-40 lbs. lighter. My 3 children also do TKD with us. I think having the goal of becoming a black belt will help with my motivation to loose weight.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your belt test next week..I am sure you will do well! It is pretty exciting isn't it!
    I am also in taekwondo for almost 2 years (testing for my red belt next month) and I know what you mean about wanting to be leaner & healthier. I started MFP after starting tkd and once I had both of things going on it really impacted my weight loss. Hang in there..you can do it!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I got my second degree black belt in tae kwon do about 10 years ago, but I haven't done it since. I really loved it, but my knees are shot. I was in such good shape back then since I had to keep my weight down for tournaments and whatnot. Good luck on your test!!! Add me if you need extra support :)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    So glad you're here! I'm a chubby Karate mom (also 2 years), my son and daughter do it, so does my hubby now, and I'm brown belt (white, green, brown, black with stripes in between) now, about a year out from testing for first degree black. When I got my brown belt, I realized that focus testing, and stance testing for the 1st degree black belt is done without a shirt, for women, sports bra and pants, no belt even... I did not want to be the FAT girl! I also didn't want to be obese, and be representing the first ever woman to be promoted to first degree black belt from this young dojo. SO I decided to make a change, and it has been SO wonderful here at MFP! The food diary is pivotal to my loss, being able to track my calories in/out and seeing the impact my exercise has on my day.

Add me if you want, I have 4 or 5 other tkd/karate friends here, and they're all SO supportive (so is everyone)!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    So glad you're here! I'm a chubby Karate mom (also 2 years), my son and daughter do it, so does my hubby now, and I'm brown belt (white, green, brown, black with stripes in between) now, about a year out from testing for first degree black. When I got my brown belt, I realized that focus testing, and stance testing for the 1st degree black belt is done without a shirt, for women, sports bra and pants, no belt even... I did not want to be the FAT girl! I also didn't want to be obese, and be representing the first ever woman to be promoted to first degree black belt from this young dojo. SO I decided to make a change, and it has been SO wonderful here at MFP! The food diary is pivotal to my loss, being able to track my calories in/out and seeing the impact my exercise has on my day.

Add me if you want, I have 4 or 5 other tkd/karate friends here, and they're all SO supportive (so is everyone)!

omg..becky..I didn't know you guys did that for testing!! yep..that would be a motivator for me!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am a Tai Chi instructor and have about 80 pounds to get to my recommended weight, (and I am 61 years old). I am not teaching at this time because I am embarrassed by my weight and don't feel like I set a good example. I hope to teach though when I retire next year.

I wish you luck on the program and in your testing!
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I hope your testing went well! I'm 41 and practice TKD as well. I will be testing for my red belt in October, and I will be testing for trainee instructor as well. I want to set a good example for my kids and the students by getting healthy and back in shape. Also, I want to be able to all the kicks without pain... Hello twist kick!

To the person whose dojo does shirtless testing: holy cow. That would put a lot of pressure on me! I am so body shy and always have been, even in my fitter days. I am not a big fan of half-nekkidness (lol) for any reason that doesn't involve swimming! Our dojang would never do that. Half of our students are from cultures and religions that would frown upon that sort of immodesty.
  • sabrinaard
    Options
    Passed my test and am now starting to learn the red belt form and there is a 360 spin in it. Not really sure how I am gonna be able to accomplish this. I am starting to walk more everyday and will start building some core strength. But 9 weeks is not a lot of time to build up enough strength or loose enough weight. Good luck to the rest of you that have a rank testing coming up.
  • cdstormer
    cdstormer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I earned my recommended black belt last Friday, and my two boys earned their red belts! As much as I hate getting up in front of everyone for testing, it was a really fun night, and I am really looking forward to learning some new stuff. Thanks for everyones posts, and good luck to you all. If we aren't already friends on here please feel free to add me! Oh yeah, the dieting is a bit rocky right now, but I have been working out like a fiend!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm super proud of you! :)