How realistic is the sugar recommendation?

Options
I have my nutrition set up to count sugar. MFP suggests that I eat 24g of sugar a day. But when I have a bowl of Apple Jacks and milk, I have already gone over the suggested about o24g of sugar. I'm wondering how realistic is the sugar estimation or I am filling up way too much with sugar? My food diary is open, please help!

Replies

• ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about what the recommendation should be, but I do know that Apple Jacks is FULL of sugar. You may want to try a more whole grain and healthy cereal and see how the sugars compare.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I also am constantly going over the sugar recommendation with fresh fruit as the main source. You should just try to limit your added sugars and not worry so much about the naturally occuring sugar in foods like fruits and vegetables.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are *not* trying to lose weight, it's recommended no more than 40 g per day. So I don't think the sugar thing is that inaccurate...Milk does have have a lot of sugar though--I'm under my sugar goal every day but I cut out everything that has added sugar in it....
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    In reality, you wouldn't believe our sugar intake in just a day! Read all ur labels of the food you eat and see how much you do eat.. You may want to rethink what you do eat.. Watch your sugar intake as if you continue with high sugar content it will work against you...
  • astubleski
    Options
    I have the same issue with the sugar. Yesterday I tried to stay under the 28 grams I am allowed, but I ate a Greek yogurt, and a medium banana for breakfest and I was over the sugar limit for the day. So if I want to eat fruit or veggies I really have to limit myself and say if I want to eat a piece fruit or have veggies today then I can not have any milk, yogurt, oatmeal, cream of wheat. Or whatever.:ohwell:
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cereals can be packed with hidden sugars. You think they are healthy but many of them in fact are not. Read the labels and compare. A low sugar cereal like breaky can be oats with nuts and a little agave (sugar substitute). Sugar can affect weight loss. In fact, many studies blame the amount of hidden sugars on the rising rate of obesity levels! Sugar is what controls your hunger. If you can stabilze your blood glucose levels then you can cut your cravings, mid afternoon headaches and 3pm munchies. An interesting doco that addresses the sugar and fat debate while poking fun is called 'Fat Hat'. Check it out, if you like!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Looked up online (http://www2.kelloggs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=552), click on "Nutrition Facts".

For a little serving (100g) it contains 12g of sugar!!! Only 3g fiber and 1g protein in that. If you look at the ingredient, first one listed is Suger, which is not what you want for a nutritious breakfast. Go either find other better cereal (not all cereal are made equal, look at the ingredient), but better off cook some oatmeal.

For example, I just tried the Hodgson Mill's Multi grain (with milled flaxseed & soy) hot cereal, for 160g serving size (without milk), it has:
    - 6g fiber
    - 7g protein
    - ingredient: oats, unprocessed wheat bran, milled flaxseed, soy grits, untoasted wheat germ, cracked whole wheat

I cooked it with milk, added a little bit organic light agave nectar, extra wheat germ, 346 calories and I'm so satisfied.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    According to "Calorie King, Calorie, Fat, and Carbohydrate Counter," the recommended carbohydrate intake for a 1200 calorie per day diet is 120g. They advise eating only naturally occurring sugars (fruit, veggies, & milk) and avoiding refined sugars (hidden in soda, sweets, cereal, and candy). Refined sugars are empty calories. Hope this helps.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat Dannon Oikos 0% fat Vanilla Greek Yogurt. The Sugar count is 18g compared to others that are 24g. 18g is higher than I'd like, but it satisfies my hunger. Cereal (even the healthy stuff) for some reason does not.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, and I pay zero attention to MFP's sugar recommendations. In my situation, carbs are carbs, and so I keep a count of net or effective carbs per meal and snack, and that works for me--my blood sugar is well controlled, and my A1c is steadily dropping (as is my weight). MFP tells me I'm over on my sugar every day. I ignore it.

Kris
  • Midnightsun04
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise! Next time I visit the cereal isle I will need to do some label reading!
  • GoddessAndraste
    Options
    I actually removed the sugar column from my Food Diary, as I was over with my morning Mountain Dew. (I don't drink coffee, and that's my one caffeine indulgence for the day.) Everything else I keep in line pretty well. Seemed silly to keep getting beat over the head with something that was doomed five minutes after I got up in the morning. :)
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugar. Every morning I have the same breakfast - iced vanilla latte (make it myself), two pieces of whole grain toast w/ peanut butter and cinnamon. That puts me over my MFP limit for sugar for the day. Whatever. I focus on getting in a good amount of protein and fiber and keep my overall carbs in check.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I usually just go over in fruits and vegetables alone. I hardly eat any cakes, cookies, etc or drink any pop or juice.

I only started tracking it because I wanted to know how much sugar I was getting...I don't necessarily care if I go over. As long as it's with fruit or something healthy.
  • xcirce
    xcirce Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've read about this a lot & I've found that the best thing to do is consider the sugar allowance "added sugars". So if you eat a few pieces of fruit, or some yogurt, or milk, then it doesn't count. These are all naturally occurring sugars that are NOT the same as the stuff in say, a Hostess cake. My fitness diary is booming with sugars (which I stopped tracking awhile ago) When I count sugars, I add up what sugars are naturally occurring, and subtract that from my total. I'm usually well under the recommended amount, because I just don't eat much added sugars.
    Just keep an eye on things you buy...check the ingredients to make sure there's no sugar or high fructose corn syrup added in there where it shouldn't be. For example, frozen fruit should just be fruit. No extra sugars needed.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Really useful discussion here, folks. Thanks.