Supplements? What do you take?

Options
bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
I’d like to preface this by saying I know the best way to get the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients you need is through your diet.
However this isn’t always the easiest thing to do.
I’ve been on a weight loss calorie deficit for the last year and generally feel better than ever. But I do seem to catch whatever bug is passing thru lately.
I’m thinking I’m going to have to seriously review my foods to make sure I’m getting my share of vitamins, minerals, etc.
just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and what you did to correct?
Add certain foods? Take supplement vitamins or minerals ?
I’m about 25 lbs from goal, and don’t want to take my foot of the pedal but I also don’t want to ignore my health to get to a number. Sort of defeats the purpose right?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My diet improved greatly as I decided I wanted to lose weight, so I'm at loss. Have you had blood tests to see if you're deficient?
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I normally only take omega 3, but right now I also take a womens vitamin supplement to try and get my hormones to where they should be
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Prework with 5g's creatine mono
    Fish Oil
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D3
    Probiotic
    Green Tea Extract Veggie Tabs
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    A reason why you are getting sick might be because of the deficit itself. You aren't giving your body enough energy for the immune system to fight the bugs, so they just come right at you
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    IT may just be bad luck....I know that this time of year, once I get a virus, it seems like I become a landing pad for every stupid germ in the world.

How's your sleep though? When I'm short on sleep I tend to get sick more easily and I think sleep is something we often overlook in the realm of health. Are you working out as well? I talk to people pretty often who are cutting calories, adding workouts (often getting up earlier to fit them in), and not factoring in enough rest to support all of that. Sleep has actually become the first thing I look to when I'm not feeling up to par. Could it be that?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fish oil
    Vitamin D (known deficiency)
    Magnesium (fixed my cramping problems)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am catching everything this year too, and I am eating in a surplus, doesn't help that my kids bring everything home from school or play classes. Uch!

I take a multivitamin, vitamin D, Fish oil, whey protein as needed.
  • teahlee123
    teahlee123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fish Oil, Vitamin D (am deficient), Magnesium (helps with post workout cramps and sleep), Multivitamin, B-12 (am deficient), Probiotic (helps digestive issues)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I take Raw Fiber that its for me. And sometimes Vitamin E. If you're getting sick a lot consider Vitamin C, Garlic, Zinc.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    IT may just be bad luck....I know that this time of year, once I get a virus, it seems like I become a landing pad for every stupid germ in the world.

How's your sleep though? When I'm short on sleep I tend to get sick more easily and I think sleep is something we often overlook in the realm of health. Are you working out as well? I talk to people pretty often who are cutting calories, adding workouts (often getting up earlier to fit them in), and not factoring in enough rest to support all of that. Sleep has actually become the first thing I look to when I'm not feeling up to par. Could it be that?

I haven't really been sleeping well since menopause..... last 6-7 years, I just assumed it is an age thing. :#
    I am up early for work - 5:00 am.
    I wouldn't consider my workouts overly intense..... consisting mostly of walking, biking and rowing due to bad knees.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I’ve been catching a lot this year too. Anyway, I take Vitamin D because I have a deficiency. I get tested yearly and 5000 iu/day keeps me at a good number. **Best to get tested for that before supplementing.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    jojo6mfp wrote: »
    Cbd oil

Out of curiousity how do you feel about CBD Oil, do you use it for pain management or something else?
    Where I am at you can purchase it over the counter with out a prescription. But I wonder if it has enough potentcy like an indica would have.

My dad is under pain management, and I've been trying to convince him to try the medical marijuana and get off the opiates, which he is being weened off it. But he still has pain. I just wonder if the CBD Oil which doesn't require a prescription is going to be strong enough for him.

• bikecheryl
    Options
    Cbd oil

Out of curiousity how do you feel about CBD Oil, do you use it for pain management or something else?
    Where I am at you can purchase it over the counter with out a prescription. But I wonder if it has enough potentcy like an indica would have.

My dad is under pain management, and I've been trying to convince him to try the medical marijuana and get off the opiates, which he is being weened off it. But he still has pain. I just wonder if the CBD Oil which doesn't require a prescription is going to be strong enough for him.

Curios too! I'm dealing with bone on bone knee pain, waiting for knee replacement.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Cbd oil

Curios too! I'm dealing with bone on bone knee pain, waiting for knee replacement.

Make sure you buy it from a reputable distributer. The oil sold in mlm style is garbage. A bottle costs $129 and up Canadian. There are many strains so you have to do some research about how much THC you need (it's impossible to get CBD with 0% thc). My pain clinic recommends getting the hybrid (same amount of cbd and thc) first and moving from there. I see you are Canadian. I don't think I'm allowed to post links but one of the most reputable distributor is cannimed in Saskatchewan. You have to download the forms and get them signed by your doctor
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bioglan Glucosamine, Chondroitrin + turmeric
    Bioglan Active Magnesium
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B12 3,000 daily
    Vitamin C 2000 daily
    Multivitamin daily
    Probiotic daily
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Cbd oil

I’m in the uk we can but cbd oil only legally, you can buy it online at Holland and barrat at half price right now.
    I started taking it for pain, I have prolapsed discs in my back awaiting surgery and pain in my joints, my neck migraines. You start on a low strength like the 2.75% take one drop a day for a well and increase a drop each week, it can take weeks before you see any improvement but I was lucky it got rid of a migraine I had had for months and my neck started feeling better some weeks later, I’m now on a 5% x5 drops twice a day and my back is starting to ease off.
    Everyone is different and different things work for different people but you have to start off low strength.
    Do make sure you buy from a reputable company though.

Thanks thats helpful. My dad has an issue where his discs are detoriated, the surgeons are putting some sort polymer in between his vertebrae slowly building up over time. He is sick of being on fetanol patch all the time, so I appreciate the info.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins
    Vit D
    Mag
    Probiotics
    Fish oil
    Sometimes doc puts me on iron infusions, but I'm currently on the pill
    B12
    Occasional spirulina when needed
    Ashwagandha