Has anyone actually lost weight from walking/running??

Options
2»

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose weight. That said, last year my co-worker and I would go on lunch walks for 30 minutes each day. This year we work through lunch so no more walks. Last year I easily maintained my weight without strictly counting calories. This year I have gained a bit and am struggling to lose it. I would love to be able to start our walks back up to help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't run these days, but I pretty much walked and jogged when I was losing weight...I also made sure that my diet was on point because that's the most important part.

I mostly cycle these days and I'm in maintenance...I maintain because I eat maintenance calories.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Ayesha0624 wrote: »
    I know it sounds silly and I understand everyone does what works best for them. I just started walking...briskly and jogging (daily)...and I am just curious to know if anyone else has had success with weight/fat loss from walking and running! Outside of that I just got serious last week with moving forward to a healthier version of me. I purchased a food scale and have been weighing and logging everything I eat and now I am incorporating daily exercise which just happens to be walking/jogging since its easy and free haha! I'm down 1lb! :D:D

Hi there, If you eat whole foods, not crap and stay in a deficit, you will lose weight. Add walking/running to it and you will lose even more and firm up and it will be good for your heart, body and mind.

fify

What is fify?

"Fixed it for you"
  • AlexDH1208
    AlexDH1208 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds silly and I understand everyone does what works best for them. I just started walking...briskly and jogging (daily)...and I am just curious to know if anyone else has had success with weight/fat loss from walking and running! Outside of that I just got serious last week with moving forward to a healthier version of me. I purchased a food scale and have been weighing and logging everything I eat and now I am incorporating daily exercise which just happens to be walking/jogging since its easy and free haha! I'm down 1lb! :D:D

Well, I've found I lose weight best by walking. I have a tendency to overdo exercise whenever I attempt to lose weight, but have nearly no trouble when I do it by walking. However, that's because my appetite goes up when I overexercise. Can't out exercise your fork.

However, like everyone is saying it's more about diet.

So, to keep it short, you can lose weight from walking. You just need the right diet.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    utahjulia wrote: »

Hi there, If you eat whole foods, not crap and stay in a deficit, you will lose weight. Add walking/running to it and you will lose even more and firm up and it will be good for your heart, body and mind.

fify

What is fify?

"Fixed it for you"

Thank you...lol
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    No because you lose weight by creating a calorie deficit.
    You could walk and run everyday and still not lose a pound. It comes down to calories.
    Calorie deficit- weight loss
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    mcgirl2014 wrote: »
    Walking/running will help you with a calorie deficit but doesn't do much for weight loss.

Umm... a calorie deficit is how weight loss happens. :/ Doesn't matter how that calorie deficit is achieved.

Weight training is a wonderful thing, however.

• MoskerL
    MoskerL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely walking and running will help you lose weight. I burn about 100 calories per mile, so a 6-mile run (about an hour for me) burns about 600 calories. That's pretty good for an hour's worth of effort! However, as many have mentioned, you still need to ensure you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day if you're trying to lose weight, so over-eating to compensate for the run won't get you to your goal. But, even if you don't lose weight, you will greatly increase your cardiovascular fitness and that's worth it too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mcgirl2014 wrote: »
    Let me throw in my two cents.....lift weights to lose weight. You definitely want to log your foods so you know how much you are eating. Walking/running will help you with a calorie deficit but doesn't do much for weight loss. Lifting weights will boost your metabolism, increase lean muscle (your fat burner), and will continue to burn more calories for another 24 hours. Cardio doesn't do any of that. You will see more weight loss with 30 minutes of weight training than you will 30 minutes of cardio. Food for thought.....you lose 5lbs of muscle every 10 years after the age of 25....which is why it is more difficult to lose weight as you age. I'm 55 years old and have been lifting weights for 35 years. I'm the same weight I was when I graduated college....

exercise will raise your tdee,it does boost metabolism but not as much or for as long as one may think. weight lifting increases muscle to a point,such as if you are a newbie to lifting (you will get gains for a short time,then it slacks off) same if you are coming back to lifting after being on a hiatus,extremely overweight or doing a recomp. Otherwise muscle is built in a surplus.

you also dont burn more calories, the afterburn effect is not as accurate as you may think,with most things its highly exaggerated . you burn extra calories for a little while after but not a full 24 hrs. I,as well as others am sure have tested that theory(I know I have). and 30 min of cardio actually burns more than 30min of weight lifting.

weight lifting does help you to retain lean mass when eating in a deficit. you dont even have to exercise to lose weight all you need is a deficit. but exercise is good for health and aesthetic reasons. walking can be enough for some to lose weight but they still need a deficit. if you are the same weight you were in college then you are maintaining your weight.
  • TX_Matt
    TX_Matt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think there’s a saying along the lines of you can’t outwork an unhealthy diet? So yes you’ll lose weight running/walking but to maximize it, incorporating a better dietary intake helps tremendously. Good luck on your journey.
  • 1SpunkyGal
    1SpunkyGal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can't outrun your fork !!!

Probably the best combo is 250 calories worth of exercise a day and 250 decrease in calorie intake a day and that should give about 1 pound loss a week. The exercise might also help reduce anxiety so that in turn reduces emotional eating. (yoga supposedly does this as well)
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    TX_Matt wrote: »
    I think there’s a saying along the lines of you can’t outwork an unhealthy diet? So yes you’ll lose weight running/walking but to maximize it, incorporating a better dietary intake helps tremendously. Good luck on your journey.

I can eat a thousand calories of treat foods in 10 minutes or so, and I might if I worked at it be able to do that a few times a day (say three or four times) without making myself totally sick. (retching a little at the thought though)

I can burn about 580 calories in an hour if I am running (I'm lightish and slowish so not a huge burn) and I might be able to work back up to doing that 3 or 4 times a WEEK. Certainly not 3-4 times a day. Walking off 580 calories is even more time-consuming.

That's the math of "you can't out-train a bad diet". And by "bad" here I just mean, too many calories. I just don't have the fitness or energy or time to burn off what I could possibly eat. Restricting calories is the key to loss. (Running is the key to happiness!)
  • SPowell1989
    SPowell1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ive done both and yes Ive list weight from doing both. Personally i really enjoy running
  • Ayesha0624
    Ayesha0624 Posts: 95 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't understand the question. You don't lose weight FROM running. Running or walking can increase your total daily expenditure, or increase your calorie deficit which can aid in weight loss.

I keep my steps to a minimum in order to meet the lightly active level, which makes it easier to lose or maintain than if I was sedentary. I never lost weight FROM walking though.

Welp...sounds like your the expert. So, how did YOU lose weight. Or whatever you consider to be "physically fit". Please. Enlighten me

Why all the salt? Bbell actually IS very knowledgeable, and has been at this for quite some time. So you'd be best off to sit yourself down and learn something, without the undue sass.

That's why I asked for her expertise and enlightment... have a blessed one.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't understand the question. You don't lose weight FROM running. Running or walking can increase your total daily expenditure, or increase your calorie deficit which can aid in weight loss.

I keep my steps to a minimum in order to meet the lightly active level, which makes it easier to lose or maintain than if I was sedentary. I never lost weight FROM walking though.

Welp...sounds like your the expert. So, how did YOU lose weight. Or whatever you consider to be "physically fit". Please. Enlighten me

I don't understand why your response was salty either. I only used caps to make the message clear.

I lost weight by eating in a calorie deficit. Using this app to log my food. Weight loss happens in a calorie deficit. I'm not an expert it's just science.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Sort of. Not really. Felt enough better after I started walking that I ate a lot better. So I lost weight. Walking started the ball rolling.
  • shnell25
    shnell25 Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I’ve lost weight, toned up and lost inches since I started walking and jogging.

I also keep s food journal. Seeing what I’m putting in my body helps me to be accountable to myself. Lastly I plan my meals and prep them every weekend. This helps me to not order out or eat out during my lunch hour.