1200 cal per day diet question

stpetenative
stpetenative Posts: 30 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Am I wrong, or can I eat what ever foods I want as long as I don’t go over 1200 calories per day (for weight loss)? So if I wanted to have a 600 cal sundae for b’fast, and one for dinner, it would still count? Thanks, ;)

Replies

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Yes, but you're probably going to be really hungry between sundaes.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    My understanding is that you'd lose weight as you'll be in calorie deficit but eating that way would probably leave you feeling pretty unwell as you'd not be getting the required nutrition (vitamins, minerals, protein, fibre, etc)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. Full stop.

Types of food may affect your energy levels, hunger, body composition, satiety, etc. But these are highly individual. The way I eat satisfies me but it might drive another person bonkers.

The important thing is to stay within your calories and try to hit your nutrition goals with whatever foods you like to get there. If you feel good eating ice cream sundaes all day, you could do it. I bet you'll find some other foods you like, too, if you play around :flowerforyou:
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    That's the idea, yes.

With that said: Some foods will make you feel fuller for longer than others. Some foods will increase your water retention, making your weight loss appear slower. And 1200 is a really, really low number, and getting all of your essential nutrients into that few calories doesn't leave many left over.

If you ate a 600-calorie sundae every day, in other words, you would lose weight over time. But you'd also most likely feel bloated, be hungry a lot, and find yourself malnourished in some way if you kept it up for long enough.

As far as weight loss goes, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, so all that stuff about "bad foods" and "secret foods for fat loss!" are gimmicks. You can lose weight on 1200 calories of peanut butter or 1200 calories of lettuce or 1200 calories of cookies. But if you actually try any of those plans out, you'll find they have a real impact on aspects of your health and comfort other than the number on the scale.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Thank you, Iol. I would feel pretty crummy on sundaes alone. Glad to know I was right and can use these Calories for fruits veggies and protein, and maybe still have room for a sweet :)

I once planned an entire day to fit in half a pint of double chocolate brownie gelato. That was a beautiful day. But most of the time I make room for some Greek yogurt with chocolate chips or pancakes or a dessert protein bar or something. There are lots of options and treats are okay if they fit!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I ate 1200 calories plus exercise for 2.5 years while losing weight. On most days I ate three meals and a small dessert, but I routinely planned for restaurant meals on Saturdays by making that the only meal I had that day--usually as an early lunch. Sometimes it was totally worth it, other times I felt miserable. But I still lost weight.