Has anyone been to their doctor for help

Options
2»

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Seen my doctor for a general blood test. Told him my general daily meal plan and he suggested that my carbs intake is a bit on the high side. I am now reducing carbs, mainly switching over to low carbs meal items with my usual protein / fat intake.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Overall, I've never found it very beneficial but I did sign up for monthly check in's where I weigh, get my blood pressure checked, and just usually chit chat for a few minutes. I see a nurse practitioner and am normally not there much longer than 5 minutes but that 5 minutes can be truly motivating. Seeing the blood pressure and weight changes, plus no longer fearing doctor visits since I am on the right path, really has helped me.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Overall, I've never found it very beneficial but I did sign up for monthly check in's where I weigh, get my blood pressure checked, and just usually chit chat for a few minutes. I see a nurse practitioner and am normally not there much longer than 5 minutes but that 5 minutes can be truly motivating. Seeing the blood pressure and weight changes, plus no longer fearing doctor visits since I am on the right path, really has helped me.

That’s sounds great, I would love to have an appointment to have to show up to. I guess a personal trainer fills that role for some people but the gym doesn’t fit into my lifestyle atm. It would be a bit of accountability. I was thinking yesterday I would love a weight losss coach who took measurements, was able to have a chat with you about emotions/ accomplishments/struggles who would honestly tell you if they can see a dif in you. But I don’t want a friend to play that role it would have to be an outsider.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, doctors aren't nutritionists. They can only advocate eating less and moving more. Which isn't bad advice, really.

They can also test your thyroid to see if it's underactive.
  • dmegk5
    dmegk5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I brought it up to my family doctor a couple of times. He suggested Medifast which was created by doctors. I couldn't afford it so instead got him to sign off on weight watchers since I was a teenager. It worked but I cheated a lot and didn't lose as much as I could. In college, I tried Medifast for a month and it was awful! Will never do that again. MFP has helped me the most but I do best is someone else keeps me accountable. There is a weight loss center in my hometown but my insurance doesn't cover it. I had to ask my family doctor to check my thyroid, he did and it is normal. The only doctor to ever bring up the weight topic first was a doctor's now walk-in clinic doctor. He was really respectful about it and suggested I keep communicating with my general practitioner about what I am trying.
  • glitterandsparkle8
    glitterandsparkle8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, doctors aren't nutritionists. They can only advocate eating less and moving more. Which isn't bad advice, really.

Yes I do have under active thyroid :(
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    A couple times. Turns out they were on medifast payroll, so basically thier "help" required stupid amounts of money for a "get skinny quick" BS scheme that I refused to pay for.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Yes I do have under active thyroid :(

then you need to see an endocrinologist if you dont already to get your thyroid where it needs to be(levels wise) first.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to join weight watchers, and to never lift weights because it will make me bulky. Total waste of time.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My doctor told me to join weight watchers, and to never lift weights because it will make me bulky. Total waste of time.

yeah some of us wish weight lifting made ya bulky lol
  • stpetenative
    stpetenative Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there! All my doctors in the past have given me a prescription for weight loss. In 2003 I got down to 170 after birth of my daughter. I then started seeing the dr I have now and have tried a few different prescriptions since then. I believe they all were a stimulant more or less to curb the appetite. My body reacts minimally to those effects so they didn’t help much.