Eating Healthy During Orientation Week

Options
fireyes
fireyes Posts: 31 Member
So I'm off to college in a few weeks (yay!) and I've been looking into the food situation. I have a plan for my regular schedule, but I'm a little worried about orientation week. The meal hall won't open until a few days after we move in, which I'm guessing is to promote us going to functions that are giving away free food. The problem is I think this will be mostly burgers, hotdogs, chips, etc. Not the type of stuff I really want to be living off of for days (or that I'm really interested in having at all, if I can help it).

Any advice for keeping it healthy even during the craziness of orientation? I'm really starting to worry about this.

Thanks!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I hated that! Feel free to add me, I just finished my first year and lost weight instead of gained! I would suggest buying your own food and bring healthy stuff to eat instead while they provide you with food. :)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Why not find out what your dining options are? Email or call someone and express your concerns. Maybe there's a grocery store nearby?
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Definitely shoot them an email about it. Some schools probably provide veggie burgers, or maybe a healthier option. If not...stash some healthy snacks.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    Will you have access to off campus restaurants/grocery stores? Do you have access to a fridge/kitchen? I'd try to get some fruit and other easy/healthy snacks to keep in your room and then eat what you can from the free events. If your school is larger, I'm sure they will have something for vegitarians that will be much better than burgers/hot dogs.
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stashing the healthy snacks. Try to get something from the store you can keep all week and eat before you go to the functions. Good Luck :)
  • altitudedistract
    Options
    When I was in college I discovered they usually sell at least one type of fruit and some times even canned veggies at gas stations and quick mart type places. I'd walk to the shell station just off campus and subsisted mainly on fruits and veggies... and beer. Ha, but yeah the best bet is to simply not eat the bad food. Any of it. They should have fruit at the university sponsored meet and greets.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i recall those days...here are a couple of suggestions...when i travel to events with similar food situations, i usually pack the following:
    -tuna packets (plain, seasoned, and sometimes the tuna salad kits with crackers)
    -packs of oatmeal (a lil hot water and you've got breakfast!)
    -fresh fruit (apples, pears, and oranges tend to last a good week un-refrigerated. bananas will last a few days too if purchased while green)
    -powdered soy milk (usually since I can take it in a carry-on while flying...but you can get the individual boxes that can be shelf-stored)
    -plain almonds

i'll much on the fruit and nuts all day, but i won't whip out the tuna or anything while everyone else is eating burgers. instead, i tend to eat my heavier items at home and just consume much less than what i normally would at the functions. i think that everything is ok in moderation...

best wishes!
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I got really lucky I guess. I go to school in Southern California and my school has healthy options (and 7 dining halls). Eventually it gets a little boring and hard to avoid the desert table but you have to remember why you are still eating lean chicken and steamed veggies when pizza sounds so good. When I'm studying, I always pack healthy snacks (like special k bars, plain almonds, fruit, or other things that don't require a freezer or a really cold fridge because the one in my dorm room sucks). The Trader Joes by my school is fantastic. I also make my friends to healthy snacking with me so I can avoid temptation (and so they can stay healthy too). I also have oatmeal for breakfast.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    during orientation week, stay away from the deserts they give you! they pumped me full of cookies at mine!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep some healthy stuff in your dorm room and fill up on that rather than the stuff at the orientation functions.