How do y'all resist drinking cokes?

Options
I love drinking water and I drink it all day long but I still want to drink Dr peppers. Just today I drank 3 cans. I know if I could resist them it would definitely make a difference and be a good start to my new healthy lifestyle. Do y'all have any tips for me when Dr pepper cravings hit?

Replies

• jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I might try and buy some diet Dr peppers for me. My husband drinks cokes too so that's why we have them if he didn't drink them and have them in the fridge I know I could resist lol
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Pepper. But nowadays I stick with Diet Dr. Pepper or the occasional Coke Zero. Both of those satisfy my cravings. I do treat myself to Coke, Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper sometimes. Soda has always been my thing. I’d rather have a can of soda than a slice of cake any day. Thank god for Diet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of diet soda each week and don't think it's evil or anything like that. I just don't like regular soda enough to use the calories on it.

However, when I first started using MFP (5 years ago) there were times when I just really craved a can of regular Coke and I would drink it, log it, and consider it a "treat" for that day...like I may have a cookie the next day, or whatever. Over time I have come to prefer other treats more, or if I'm actually hungry I would rather have a scrambled egg on toast for those 150 calories that are in a Coke.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't care for sugary sweet carbonated beverages such as Coca-Cola and Dr Pepper. Coffee, though, is irresistible.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid buying them in the first place. If I REALLY want something I'll budget it in, but have to remember that the sweet is probably displacing something healthier and more filling .
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how to lose weight growing up but I KNEW drinking cokes weren't going to do me any favors. Never got in the habit.
  • mudknuckles
    mudknuckles Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    For me I found that what I liked most about sodas (besides the sugar fix) was the carbonation. So I switched to carbonated water it really helped with the cravings.
  • Momepro
    Options
    For me I found that what I liked most about sodas (besides the sugar fix) was the carbonation. So I switched to carbonated water it really helped with the cravings.

True, I love my diet fizzy fruit waters :) At least the ones that taste more like fruity sodas than fruit wishes, minerals and sadness.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I just quit cold turkey.

Don't drink sodas anymore, not even diet. Never liked diet soda or light beer, just doesn't taste the same to me.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Diet isn't a substitute for me at all since it tastes horrifying. I can't moderate and don't need it so I gave it up.
  • Momepro
    Options
    Diet isn't a substitute for me at all since it tastes horrifying. I can't moderate and don't need it so I gave it up.

I prefer the taste of diet to regular. Probably because thats what my parents always drank
  • loviedove
    loviedove Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally hate the taste of most diet sodas, although coke zero isn't so bad.

Not buying soda is a good start, but I also know that can be hard if your family members buy and drink soda a lot.

My new favorite thing is to buy sparking water (I get the lime one from Trader Joes) and I add half a pack of crystal light (I used the raspberry lemonade flavor). It's like 5 calorie fizzy juice! It satisfies my craving for carbonation while also tasting sweet (I'm not a fan of the flavor of plain sparking water).

Really, I just recommend finding a drink that you enjoy as a substitute that you can keep in your fridge when the soda cravings hit. Maybe it's iced tea or a diet soda instead, try a few things and see.

And I don't think it hurts to have one regular soda every now and then when you're out and about... :)