For those who lost fat, do you think diet soda impact the fat loss negatively ?

Options

Replies

• Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    deejay1230 wrote: »
    Hello,

For those who have been on a diet and drinking diet soda regularly, did you notice any difference when you stopped ?

Thank you !!!

How would a zero calorie beverage have any impact on weight management?

I drink one or two Fresca's daily.

Fresca! My favourite! Cheers!

OP, I love my daily one or two diet pops - Fresca. I also drink diet Cran-cherry mixed with water. Both help me avoid drinking liquids with lots of calories and help to fill the pie hole.
  • BarryCarriere
    BarryCarriere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »
    How have I
    Was just about to put up a post about the same thing!!
    Thanks!!
    I love my diet pop and am happy to know it is not going to affect my weight loss :)

How have I suggested that you do anything different!!!

My comment was directed to the person who started the thread.
    Sorry for the confusion.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Whether the impact is psychological, physiological or whatever there putting an artificial sweetener into your body is bound to affect you in some way.

And what credible evidence is there to support that statement?

My answer to the OP is nope.

I believe at one point there was no credible evidence that the world wasn't flat........ Didn't mean that it was.

Again another Harvard report stating the same and stating studies have found results to be negative. I do not have the skills to find the studies myself but carry on and stick your head in the sand and keep believing there is no truth in it
    This in particular would raise a red flag to me if I was considering drinking them

"One study of 3,682 individuals examined the long-term relationship between consuming artificially sweetened drinks and weight. The participants were followed for 7-8 years and their weights were monitored. After adjusting for common factors that contribute to weight gain such as dieting, exercising change, or diabetes status, the study showed that those who drank artificially sweetened drinks had a 47% higher increase in BMI than those who did not."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/

Looking at the abstract of the study mentioned there is one obvious issue. It is based on self-reported information which is notoriously unreliable as an accurate data source. The other thing is there conclusion which states,
    "Both SSB consumption and ASB consumption were associated with increased T2D risk. We cannot rule out that factors other than ASB consumption that we did not control for are responsible for the association with diabetes, and randomized trials are required to prove a causal link between ASB consumption and T2D."

In other words, those who did the study point to other factors they had not controlled for being the possible causal agent here. To say there is any sort of causal relationship based on this information is to press this study far beyond what it can say. It would be interesting to read the entire study, but I don't have access to it.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Whether the impact is psychological, physiological or whatever there putting an artificial sweetener into your body is bound to affect you in some way.

I believe at one point there was no credible evidence that the world wasn't flat........ Didn't mean that it was.

Again another Harvard report stating the same and stating studies have found results to be negative. I do not have the skills to find the studies myself but carry on and stick your head in the sand and keep believing there is no truth in it
    This in particular would raise a red flag to me if I was considering drinking them

"One study of 3,682 individuals examined the long-term relationship between consuming artificially sweetened drinks and weight. The participants were followed for 7-8 years and their weights were monitored. After adjusting for common factors that contribute to weight gain such as dieting, exercising change, or diabetes status, the study showed that those who drank artificially sweetened drinks had a 47% higher increase in BMI than those who did not."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/

Do you understand the difference between correlation and causation?

I see a lot of fat people exercising. Should I assume from that observation that exercise makes people fat?
    Yes, of course.

Also, ice cream causes people to drown.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I see a lot of fat people exercising. Should I assume from that observation that exercise makes people fat?
    Yes, of course.

Also, ice cream causes people to drown.

And an increase in the per capita consumption of beef leads to increased deaths from lightning strikes. No really, the stats say so:

vdrn2xx9w82k.png

And the rising cost of potato chips causes more deaths by falling out of wheelchairs:

u460i94l7mde.png

Or maybe correlation of random things might not actually have anything to do with causation at all.
  • Smallville127
    Smallville127 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet sodas and sodas over a month ago. I have not noticed a difference as far as it affecting weight loss. I have found I crave less and things taste better. I started drinking a sparkling water called Bubly and wow...love it. Feels like soda but no garbage in it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Myself - no difference.

The amount I drink varies and some days I drink it and some I don't - no difference in cravings or anything else

I did not start drinking it till I started trying to lose weight ( one of the first things I did was swap regular soda for diet version) - lost weight and then maintained weight as expected.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    I have continued to drink Diet Coke whilst I was gaining/maintaining/losing it has had zero bearing on my weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Nope
    Hello,

For those who have been on a diet and drinking diet soda regularly, did you notice any difference when you stopped ?

Thank you !!!

It's difficult for the brain to tell the difference between sweeteners and sugar so it triggers the body to behave in similar manner so can cause hunger sensation earlier.

What does the bold actually mean?
    There are no calories to use or store so how exactly is your body behaving in a similar way?
    (Taste doesn't stimulate insulin production for example, hence why diabetic associations recommend them.)

I could see that if people habitually eat or drink sweet tasting things they may have more of a sweet tooth or taste preference but then they would have to eat more calories to have an impact.
    Bearing in mind we are on what is predominately a calorie counting website....

My understanding was that the sweeteners make the brain think it is getting sugar and so it starts dealing with the expected sugar intake, when those calories are not received given the body's reaction hunger is likely to occur sooner than it would do.
    It's not something I care about seeing as I don't like the taste of them nor the bloated feeling carbonated drinks give me so rarely touch them but a quick Google and the first link seems to suggest the same.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

So basically no science behind it at all, just some vague statements that something undefined and unknown is happening based purely on taste which MIGHT trigger hunger for some people.
    Hmmmmm - unconvinced to say the least.

Mercola is a complete quack by the way and if you Google "world war 2 bombers found on the moon" you will get some results back....

That is just the first one I saw and I didn't use it to form opinion, if you prefer here is one from Harvard.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

Are you actually reading these articles?
    [bold] If you are then you must be reading them very selectively and with 20/20 confirmation bias.[/bold]

Like the vast majority of people I drink something I enjoy the taste of and it quenches my thirst. But of course that's far too simple.

Not sure why you think you are able to determine that about me. Given you are not willing to even contemplate the science then that would suggest you are the one with the bias.
    If you are happy to drink them than that's great and I have no problem with that, I can see how they benefit those that drink them and I am far from anti diet drinks.

However to try and suggest that they do not have any potential impact on weight loss as if they were the same as drinking water is niave. Whether the impact is psychological, physiological or whatever there putting an artificial sweetener into your body is bound to affect you in some way.

The awful sources of information you pick and then swallow hook, line and sinker is a huge clue.
    If you can't spot the agenda you aren't looking for knowledge you are simply searching for affirmation of your opinion.
    Please don't quote Mercola and then appeal to science! He's just a salesman working a gullible audience.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Nope
    Hello,

Thank you !!!

It's difficult for the brain to tell the difference between sweeteners and sugar so it triggers the body to behave in similar manner so can cause hunger sensation earlier.

There are no calories to use or store so how exactly is your body behaving in a similar way?
    (Taste doesn't stimulate insulin production for example, hence why diabetic associations recommend them.)

I could see that if people habitually eat or drink sweet tasting things they may have more of a sweet tooth or taste preference but then they would have to eat more calories to have an impact.

My understanding was that the sweeteners make the brain think it is getting sugar and so it starts dealing with the expected sugar intake, when those calories are not received given the body's reaction hunger is likely to occur sooner than it would do.
    It's not something I care about seeing as I don't like the taste of them nor the bloated feeling carbonated drinks give me so rarely touch them but a quick Google and the first link seems to suggest the same.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

So basically no science behind it at all, just some vague statements that something undefined and unknown is happening based purely on taste which MIGHT trigger hunger for some people.

Mercola is a complete quack by the way and if you Google "world war 2 bombers found on the moon" you will get some results back....

That is just the first one I saw and I didn't use it to form opinion, if you prefer here is one from Harvard.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

[bold] If you are then you must be reading them very selectively and with 20/20 confirmation bias.[/bold]

Like the vast majority of people I drink something I enjoy the taste of and it quenches my thirst. But of course that's far too simple.

Not sure why you think you are able to determine that about me. Given you are not willing to even contemplate the science then that would suggest you are the one with the bias.
    If you are happy to drink them than that's great and I have no problem with that, I can see how they benefit those that drink them and I am far from anti diet drinks.

However to try and suggest that they do not have any potential impact on weight loss as if they were the same as drinking water is niave. Whether the impact is psychological, physiological or whatever there putting an artificial sweetener into your body is bound to affect you in some way.

The awful sources of information you pick and then swallow hook, line and sinker is a huge clue.
    If you can't spot the agenda you aren't looking for knowledge you are simply searching for affirmation of your opinion.
    Please don't quote Mercola and then appeal to science! He's just a salesman working a gullible audience.

As I said the fact that the brain may behave the same way when drinking sweeteners as if drinking sugar was something I had heard of previously, I clearly stated I did not read that article to gain that belief. If the source article is your only concern about the fact then what is wrong with Harvard?
  • ap1972
    Options

And the answer to the OP is No. Not in the least. I lost over 70 pounds drinking at least one can of diet soda virtually every day and have maintained that loss for nearly a year so far.

I have never suggested that there is a causation between using sweeteners and weight gain just that for some it may make losing weight harder/gaining weight easier.
    Given the data from the study if I was considering drinking diet soda with the aim of losing weight at the same time it would make me think twice, however I am perfectly aware that as long as I stay within calorie goal that is the only factor that matters.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nope
    Hello,

Thank you !!!

As I said the fact that the brain may behave the same way when drinking sweeteners as if drinking sugar was something I had heard of previously, I clearly stated I did not read that article to gain that belief. If the source article is your only concern about the fact then what is wrong with Harvard?

Harvard the place or Harvard a hosting site for an opinion piece by a journalist?
    You see the difference I hope?
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I only started drinking Diet Coke after losing the bulk of my weight. I wasn’t a big fan of the sugary version anyway, but I can categorically state it’s had no effect on my weight since I started.
  • ap1972
    Options
    Nope
    Hello,

Thank you !!!

Harvard the place or Harvard a hosting site for an opinion piece by a journalist?

I understand the difference, being from the UK maked determining it harder. The site looks like the school to me but I would not know if it wasn't.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Nope
    Hello,

Thank you !!!

I understand the difference, being from the UK maked determining it harder. The site looks like the school to me but I would not know if it wasn't.

It is the school, but the article you linked was a blogpost by someone, not a stance of the institution.