How do y'all resist drinking cokes?

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If family members drink it, and you don't want to, it can be helpful to avoid triggers. For example the sound of the can opening or just the sight of it used to make me crave it, so I asked my husband to please open them in the kitchen instead of in front of me, and he puts it in an insulated coozie so the logo isn't visible. It really did help!
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Diet isn't a substitute for me at all since it tastes horrifying.

I used to think this .... but after a while you get used to the taste and it becomes the norm .. THEN when you do buy a regular coke by mistake it tastes like neat sugar, its sticky, not refreshing, it makes your teeth furry, its sickly, its horrifying and you long for a diet one

is crazy really

This is me as well, I got use to the taste and now I prefer diet sodas to regular. I actually think the regular stuff tastes horrifying.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Go for the diet version or just account for the extra calories for the drinks in your daily allowance. In my opinion I would hate to 'waste' calories on drinks when I could be eating more intead, but that's a personal thing.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I used to think this .... but after a while you get used to the taste and it becomes the norm .. THEN when you do buy a regular coke by mistake it tastes like neat sugar, its sticky, not refreshing, it makes your teeth furry, its sickly, its horrifying and you long for a diet one

is crazy really

For my beverage of choice, MT Dew,

I can consistently and reliably tell the difference between
    Diet
    Sugar sweetened(Throwback/International)
    HFCS sweetened

I prefer diet at this point, but the sugar sweetened is acceptable. The HFCS is just syruppy
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Coke zero and cherry coke zero for life.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    Diet Pepsi has always been a part of me, the only time I ever gave it up before was during pregnancy and I only did that for the health of the baby. It's only been two weeks, but I haven't had a single sip. I think my motivation is "look what all you are doing to be healthier/feel better/look better...is it worth slowing the process down?"

I'm sure once I meet my goal, I will start drinking it again but I'm going to try to stay strong until then and fight the urge!

How does drinking Diet Pepsi slow the process down?

Nope, Diet Pepsi has practically zero cals so it will not hinder your weight loss.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I never liked soda, even as a kid. Water and hot tea for me. My hubby loves soda but he switched years ago to drinking water flavored with mios. I don't care for the taste but it's the only way he'll drink tap water. He'll still have a pepsi once or twice a month if we go out to a restaurant but we never keep it in the house.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I switched to diet soda in college (or just before), and find regular tastes disgusting to me now (and has for years, too sticky or something). I notice it immediately if I accidentally get one at a restaurant. So tastes change. I like diet coke fine, but can take it or leave it.

We have soda free at work, so that's where I normally will drink it when I do -- I never had it at home since it's heavy to carry and too darn expensive for what it is. So the whole "don't buy it" thing would have never made a bit of difference to me, but if you tend to drink it at home that's good advice, and maybe count the money saved and buy something you will appreciate as a reminder. (Granted, it's not THAT expensive, but back when I would buy it I'd get the liter bottles because a big bottle or case or even 6-pack was heavy, and those are CRAZY, at least here.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

is crazy really

Yup, this was exactly my experience, although it was years ago, for me.
  • suubelle2000
    suubelle2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to be heavily addicted to sodas...the sugar. I had to quit cold turkey. My girls still drink it, but will get some when they're out and about. I refuse to buy and store it in the house. I always preferred the real stuff to diet (although I have always thought diet DP tastes very close to the real thing). The sugar content alone was a full day's sugar allowance for me.

But as a general rule--much like I follow with any food item I wouldn't normally have--if i'm going to have it, I have a small portion when i'm out and about, in single servings (vs buying in bulk and having more at home).

Oh--and a stick of gum helps quite a bit when i'm wanting something sweet.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    IMHO You're in luck because Diet Dr Pepper is the best diet soda. I was never a big soda drinker before, but I find myself having one in the afternoons these days as a treat to get through the rest of the work day.

Since I still consider it a "treat" or something to have in moderation, when I want one, typically I chug a glass of water first. (I also do this with coffee. Water first! Not-water second!)

• shannonreidwiltshire
    shannonreidwiltshire Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had to give it up. Never could take a sip of a diet drink without spitting it out. I love(d) Dr. Pepper and my husband was a Mt. Dew fan. I just quit buying the Dr. Pepper so it wasn't even around. Now my husband doesn't even drink Mt. Dew anymore (and he's not dieting). Every now and then he'll have a sprite or 7up.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

is crazy really

Agreed.Never thought I could drink a diet soda. I adjusted and got used to it in about 7 days. I wouldn't want a regular one now.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking my calories because I find food more satisfying.
    I drink water or unsweetened teas mostly. There are a lot of flavored teas.

If I were you I would try the diet version or cut down gradually to 1 a day and not make it that big of a deal. Explore other low calorie drinks you might enjoy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr Pepper, Coke Zero Sugar, and Clear American sparkling waters from WalMart
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it in your daily calories then drink it if you want it. I LOVE cokes but I have enough self control and don't buy them or allow myself to get one if I go out to eat. Just that simple. Yes, it's hard ,...lot of times prayer and thoughtfulness can help you through challenges like this.