Help!! I gained 8lbs in one week!!!

Options
MrsLengares2015
MrsLengares2015 Posts: 28 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my week at 248lbs and then I weighed in this morning and I gained 8lbs in one week to 256lbs!!! How is that even possible?? I know I haven't been as watchful as I usually am but I haven't been so bad to gain 8lbs!! I can't believe it!! I go on vacation in 2 days and I didn't want to be at the weight I am. Help? Has this happened to anyone else?? I am going to eat the minimum today and go to the gym for like 4 hrs

Replies

• MrsLengares2015
    Options
    You haven't gained 8lb of fat in that time, so don't go overdoing the deficit and the exercise, you will only sabotage yourself. Think about it, you wouldn't have know you had gained until you weighed, it doesn't sound like your clothes are any tighter. It's not fat.

It is likely fluid retention due to various reasons like hormones, salt/sodium intake, dehydration etc.

It could also be that the scales are working properly, check the batteries, check that they are in a stable location. Do your official weigh in the same day and time each week.

Get back on to the tracking, make sure you are weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink.

oh and do not spend four hours at the gym.

No my clothes aren't any tighter. I just freaked seeing that number on the scale.

I weight myself once a week, same time if possible and in the exact same spot. I never move my scale.

I am getting back on track today and I won't spend 4 hrs at the gym. Maybe hour and a half.

What you said makes sense. I hope that is all it is!! Thank you for your reply.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I “gained” 18 over my 15 day vacation (weighed 159 the morning I left, 176.8 when I got back). Plot twist! I lost 12 of it in 3 days as the bloat and water left. Sadly, my logging indicates the other 6 are probably “real”-but I ate enough Navajo Fry Bread (and ice cream) to support that. I regret nothing.

I generally hold about 8 lbs water weight ever time I get on a plane. I easily hold 6-8 when I eat delicious carby/sodium filled foods. I tend to do both when I’m on vacation.

Take a few deep breaths. You didn’t gain fat. You are experiencing water retention and that will go away as you return to your normal life.

And don’t spend 4 hours at the gym. That’ll cause more water retention (for real).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food? That's the first place to start to turn this around, not four hours at the gym.:)

I say just enjoy your vacation, and don't spoil it by avoiding vacation food.

When you get back, maybe think about stepping on that scale daily. The daily fluctuations are a lot easier to adjust than weekly - and like you illustrate so well, those big weekly swings can mess with you. I'd rather see a couple pounds up and down over the week and be able to rein that in than wait a week and (maybe) continue not caring about what I'm eating.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you ate Easter ham (very salty), you're probably retaining more water than usual. I think I probably gained a genuine pound (or even 2!) over Easter because I had 2 different family events and didn't practice any restraint all weekend lol, but I shot up 5 pounds because of all the salt, which is now coming down, albeit slowly because the ham soup I'm currently eating, while pretty low calorie, is still extremely high in sodium. And deliciousness, so no regrets on some water weight.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    If you ate Easter ham (very salty), you're probably retaining more water than usual. I think I probably gained a genuine pound (or even 2!) over Easter because I had 2 different family events and didn't practice any restraint all weekend lol, but I shot up 5 pounds because of all the salt, which is now coming down, albeit slowly because the ham soup I'm currently eating, while pretty low calorie, is still extremely high in sodium. And deliciousness, so no regrets on some water weight.

Same here! After Easter weekend I was up 7 lbs, but by today (4 days later, eating at my usual deficit) I'm back down 6.2 lbs. And I ate a ton both days over Easter! I am still eating a little of the leftover ham, but my sodium this week is nowhere near the 5500 mg I had on Saturday!
  • MrsLengares2015
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I “gained” 18 over my 15 day vacation (weighed 159 the morning I left, 176.8 when I got back). Plot twist! I lost 12 of it in 3 days as the bloat and water left. Sadly, my logging indicates the other 6 are probably “real”-but I ate enough Navajo Fry Bread (and ice cream) to support that. I regret nothing.

I generally hold about 8 lbs water weight ever time I get on a plane. I easily hold 6-8 when I eat delicious carby/sodium filled foods. I tend to do both when I’m on vacation.

Take a few deep breaths. You didn’t gain fat. You are experiencing water retention and that will go away as you return to your normal life.

And don’t spend 4 hours at the gym. That’ll cause more water retention (for real).

May i ask how much you weigh and how tall you are.
    Thank you. :)