MACROS

My breakdown according to my weight loss goals and IIFYM is:
145P 74F and 51C.
I'm eating mostly protein and veggies, but I keep going over on my carbs, but under on protein and fat. Is that ok?

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    If you are staying under your calories, then yes, you will lose weight. How did you determine what your split should be?
  • BELLE716
    BELLE716 Posts: 5 Member
    Ok, thanks. I am under calories. I used the IIFYM calculator.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Your calorie goal is what's important for weightloss. By extension, the Y in IIFYM is equally important. You can eat what you like, but you have to eat less.
  • BELLE716
    That's a good point...but eating what I like does not include 145 grams of protein every day :wink: That number is really hard for me to hit without going over my carbs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    IIFYM.com is a website.
    myfitnesspal.com is a website.
    Those are different websites.
    I understand that you want a lot of information. IIFYM is teaching that you can eat anything, and as long as the food you eat 'fits' your macros, you will be able to lose weight. That's a true statement on IIFYM's part.
    Myfitnesspal is teaching that you can eat anything, and as long as the food you eat 'fits' your calories, you will be able to lose, maintain, or gain weight, whichever is your goal. That's a true statement on myfitnesspal's part.

All we users have to do is decide which true system we want to use.

If the food you like to eat and the quantity of food you need to eat don't fit the macros, they still might fit the calories and if they fit the calories for the goal of losing weight you will still be in good condition to lose weight.

For instance, one of my friends is eating nothing but fudgecicles today. Chocolate Fudgecicles. Nothing but ice cold chocolate flavored fudgecicles. These have no protein and no fat. If she succeeds today, she will be within her calorie budget and proud of herself, while weighing a little less tomorrow (maybe, depending on a wide range of womanly weirdness that makes weight fluctuate from day to day no matter what you do).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    That's why I'm telling you that you don't have to eat 145 grams of protein per day.
  • BELLE716
    Both very interesting points...I am using myfitnesspal to track my macros. But I guess my takeaway is to focus on not going over on calories...?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    BELLE716 wrote: »
    Both very interesting points...I am using myfitnesspal to track my macros. But I guess my takeaway is to focus on not going over on calories...?

If your goal is weight loss, the calorie deficit is what will create that. You'll lose weight in a deficit no matter what your macros are. For your nutritional needs, you want to make sure you are getting sufficient protein and fat. Some people find that a deficit is easier if they're eating more protein because it helps them feel fuller (for others, fat or even carbohydrates may do this).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I've always found that iifym.com gives a very high protein goal. It's just one possible macro split. Adjust it if you need to instead of trying to stick to some calculator's guideline.
  • BELLE716
    Super helpful! Thanks everyone!
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Just up your carb goal and lower your protein and/or fat goal accordingly, while staying withing your calorie limit. Problem solved.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2018
    The only possible long-term disadvantage to eating too little protein is that during weight loss you’ll have a harder time keeping the muscle you have (though you will probably still lose some muscle) Eating too little fat, for some, can decrease satiety, and cause you to still feel hungry. Fats slow gastric emptying because they take longer to digest than carbs. The main goal is to stay within your calorie goal. I almost never hit my protein goal, it’s a struggle, but still a good thing to aim for to preserve lean mass
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Just up your carb goal and lower your protein and/or fat goal accordingly, while staying withing your calorie limit. Problem solved.

Be careful giving that advice. We don't know if the OP is diabetic or similar.

However, 51g C seems low even for diabetics.

That total is 1450 calories.

204 calories from C or 14%
    580 calories from P or 40%
    666 calories from F or 46%

But if it's medically OK to increase carbs, the OP can add 1g of carbs for every 1g of protein reduced and/or 9g of carbs for every 4g of fat reduced.

FWIW, and I'm suspected of being T2 diabetic, I'm on a dietitian prescribed 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein 2250 calorie/day diet. That's 225g/carbs day. Of course, I'm 240+ pounds, so your mileage may vary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Belle what are your stats? What is your workout routine?

1.5-2.2g/kg is sufficient for protein. The rest is pretty variable.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Meelisv wrote: »

This is exactly what I was going to say. If you're having a difficult time getting in your protein but going over on carbs then lower your protein a little and raise your carbs but still stay within your calorie goal