Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Options
Hi All, I've been a member since forever but wasn't disciplined enough to make any changes. I was at my heaviest weight 71.6kg with a small frame of 158cm. Finally on the 14/2/2018, I started a new journey with IF. Most times I'm doing 16:8. So now, almost coming to 2 months of doing it, I have lost 4.5kg! I know that's not much but by far, I find IF is the least effort of lifestyle change that actually showed me results. Anyone else is doing IF? Let's motivate each other! :smile:

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    16:8 is one of an indefinite number of normal meal schedules. A normal meal schedule is one of an indefinite number of strategies to make it easier to not eat too much. I find it easy to stick to so it works for me too. I don't refer to it as intermittng fasting, though. Fasting is not eating, so intermittent fasting would mean not eating all the time, which never should have become the norm anyway.
  • maemalcy
    maemalcy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    16:8 refers to 16 hours of fasting, and 8 hours of eating. So i will stop eating at 9pm at night, and my first meal will be the next day’s lunch at 1pm. Next meal will be around 8pm for my dinner. Works for me. The 8 hour window to eat does not mean i eat all the time though. :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Yes, I know what 16:8 is. No, an 8 hours "feeding window" doesn't mean you're eating all the time; it doesn't even imply grazing for 8 hours - but you could do that if you wanted to, and still be compliant to 16:8.
  • maemalcy
    Options
    Are you doing IF too? Care to share your schedule like?
  • hgillesp
    hgillesp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have dieted off and on for a number of years now and never seem to be able to lose the weight. I have about 10-12 lbs I want to lose and it just hasn't happened.

I have started IF using the same 16:8 as you are using. I think it makes it so much easier to drop several hundred calories from your day without really feeling like you are denying yourself anything. Like you, I stop eating at 9 pm and start up again at 1 or 2 the next day. I feel better in the mornings, and I feel like I really enjoy my food more. This has just been a week so far, but I think this is something I can stick to. I also decided to stop counting my exercise calories and have a solid 1400 calories to eat per day - with some form of daily exercise every day but just not counting it unless it's a day I exercise twice.

I am also considering going to maintenance calories one or two weekend nights so that I can enjoy myself (read - have a couple of glasses of wine) without throwing my entire diet off.

• kommodevaran
    Options
    I eat breakfast around 10, lunch around 1 and dinner around 5, so I "do" IF, yes :/
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just started my 5th week on IF, 18/6 most days. I have lost 6 lbs so far, it is working for me.
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I if 1x a week a month (body reset, spiritual, mental reset) I don’t think it’s the sole reason I’ve lost weight but, I have lost weight doing this in conjunction with diet and exercise!
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Day 12 of IF, down 10lbs plus tracking my food daily and exercise regularly

I been mainly doing 16:8 but have done 18:6 a couple days (Before and after Easter dinner)

I just have to keep sticking with it!

• kommodevaran
    Options
    Day 12 of IF, down 10lbs plus tracking my food daily and exercise regularly

I been mainly doing 16:8 but have done 18:6 a couple days (Before and after Easter dinner)

I just have to keep sticking with it!
    Do you mean you struggle sticking to IF? Why do you think you have to stick to it?
  • maemalcy
    Options
    hgillesp wrote: »
    I have dieted off and on for a number of years now and never seem to be able to lose the weight. I have about 10-12 lbs I want to lose and it just hasn't happened.

I have started IF using the same 16:8 as you are using. I think it makes it so much easier to drop several hundred calories from your day without really feeling like you are denying yourself anything. Like you, I stop eating at 9 pm and start up again at 1 or 2 the next day. I feel better in the mornings, and I feel like I really enjoy my food more. This has just been a week so far, but I think this is something I can stick to. I also decided to stop counting my exercise calories and have a solid 1400 calories to eat per day - with some form of daily exercise every day but just not counting it unless it's a day I exercise twice.

I am also considering going to maintenance calories one or two weekend nights so that I can enjoy myself (read - have a couple of glasses of wine) without throwing my entire diet off.

yes, IF is effortless.. at least that's how i feel. Currently i try to stick to around 1200 per day but some days i do go over 1200. I have another 9kg to go..
  • maemalcy
    Options
    alcomer wrote: »
    I just started my 5th week on IF, 18/6 most days. I have lost 6 lbs so far, it is working for me.

good for you... i'm now trying to incorporate exercise too.. i am very sedentary. office work, no exercise at all..
  • REDMANIV
    REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF for quite some time now off and on. My co worker gave me a book to read which has allowed me to take my IF to a whole new level. I am now on the 5day 2day Fast program. 5 days a week I do my normal IF schedule. Two nonconsecutive days a week I do IF.........the kicker though...........on my "Fast" day I limit my calorie intake to 600 calories for that day.

When I first heard of this I thought that there is no way in heck this would work. After reading the book "The 5day 2day FastDiet" I was like well maybe.....after going all in and trying it.............I am a believer........it works for me and I have found that I am making much better use of my calories now than I ever did before. Because of the types of foods I am eating now I am staying fuller for much longer.

I do exercise every day. I try to stay active as it is a fantastic stress reliever and helps me to keep that awesome calorie deficit going.

You have found what works for you so good on you and congrats!
  • cascadinglilac
    cascadinglilac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I usually eat between 8pm and 12am. It really helps me not to overeat (I used to graze all day).
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I tend to give up on my self very quickly (still learning that I’m important too!)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    drea2011 wrote: »
    And by diet I mean eating clean

what exactly is eating "clean"? I do a modified 14/10, but not for weight loss.