Not losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Kayla647 wrote: »
    No advice but I'm having the same issue. Eat 1410 to lose 1.5 lbs a week and I exercise everyday scales not budging and I weigh all my foods in grams.

I took a peek at your food diary and noticed that you barely log on weekends, if at all. Assuming you eat on weekends, you are most likely decimating any deficit you create during the week.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    MariemelP wrote: »
    Do you guys weigh your meats cooked or uncooked?

Raw for all meats except bacon.
  • Kayla647
    Kayla647 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

No advice but I'm having the same issue. Eat 1410 to lose 1.5 lbs a week and I exercise everyday scales not budging and I weigh all my foods in grams.

I took a peek at your food diary and noticed that you barely log on weekends, if at all. Assuming you eat on weekends, you are most likely decimating any deficit you create during the week.

Last weekend was Easter had four dinners couldn't log those, I did 200 calories for breakfast leaving 1200 for supper. Did my best to not overeat. Trying to get back on track now
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Last weekend was Easter had four dinners couldn't log those, I did 200 calories for breakfast leaving 1200 for supper. Did my best to not overeat. Trying to get back on track now

Days when you go off-plan can result in temporary stalls. It's going to happen sometimes, but when you do it you'll just have to be more patient. Four holiday dinners in a single weekend would probably keep most people from seeing weight loss the following week.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Did you go through the pinned post when you started? It has a lot of really helpful information.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    utahjulia wrote: »
    Serious question: what's "starvation mode"?

It's a popular concept in pop fitness/weight loss discussions. The theory is that if your body thinks you are starving, you will not lose weight. People are told to eat more so they don't go into "starvation mode." It isn't a real thing.
    What actually happens is a complex array of factors

1. Sloppy logging
    2. Extended deprivation that leads to indulgence(Binge cycles)
    3. Person overlooks the binging and focusses on the deprivation "I'm only eating half a can of tuna on dry whole wheat toast every day, but I'm gaining weight"
    4. Net result weight gain or at least no loss... BUT significant displacement of lean body mass(muscle/bone) over time as well as some of the symptoms of starvation like hair loss and brittle nails. This takes months to happen.

This is what starvation mode is correctly. I know... I did it to myself accidentally. accurate logging was the solution.

But it's not caused by the deprivation exclusively... disciplined voluntary or forced deprivation will lead to weight(fat/muscle/bone) loss. If this happens to someone without ED(eating disorder) the solution is "eat more" but still at a deficit-after a brief maintenance break(2-4 weeks to address hormonal issues) Accurate logging and sufficient feeding at a deficit will result in fat loss and sufficient protein and physical activity will mitigate SOME of the LBM loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's a popular concept in pop fitness/weight loss discussions. The theory is that if your body thinks you are starving, you will not lose weight. People are told to eat more so they don't go into "starvation mode." It isn't a real thing.

1. Sloppy logging
    3. Person overlooks the binging and focusses on the deprivation "I'm only eating half a can of tuna on dry whole wheat toast every day, but I'm gaining weight"
    4. Net result weight gain or at least no loss... BUT significant displacement of lean body mass(muscle/bone) over time as well as some of the symptoms of starvation like hair loss and brittle nails. This takes months to happen.

This is what starvation mode is correctly. I know... I did it to myself accidentally. accurate logging was the solution.

But it's not caused by the deprivation exclusively... disciplined voluntary or forced deprivation will lead to weight(fat/muscle/bone) loss. If this happens to someone without ED(eating disorder) the solution is "eat more" but still at a deficit-after a brief maintenance break(2-4 weeks to address hormonal issues) Accurate logging and sufficient feeding at a deficit will result in fat loss and sufficient protein and physical activity will mitigate SOME of the LBM loss.

I completely agree -- if someone is in a cycle of restriction/indulgence, raising the calorie goal can absolutely lead to greater compliance and more success with weight loss. I've been in this cycle as well and observed it in many other people. This is why we see so many posts where people are adamant that raising their calorie goal allowed them to lose more weight. It did -- because overall they're better able to maintain a deficit (and they may also have increased energy which is leading to them moving more).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

1. Sloppy logging

I completely agree -- if someone is in a cycle of restriction/indulgence, raising the calorie goal can absolutely lead to greater compliance and more success with weight loss. I've been in this cycle as well and observed it in many other people. This is why we see so many posts where people are adamant that raising their calorie goal allowed them to lose more weight. It did -- because overall they're better able to maintain a deficit (and they may also have increased energy which is leading to them moving more).

My nutritionist called it "starvation mode", but also explained what was actually going on and Identified the binges(over about 3 weeks of logging) I think I ended up logging for about 6 months that stretch... and I stopped gaining weight and regained most of my LBM.

Fortunately I hadn't yet hit the hair loss phase I was just getting weaker. But I was getting measurably weaker on both my runs and my strength training

The problem is most people hear 10% of the problem, 10% of the solution and see a rope instead of an elephant :)

And then someone else is given the solution and it works and the 20% solution gets chipped away.

SO, the solution,

1 LOG as accurately as necessary
    2 Fuel your body appropriately for your goals, and understand that weight loss is a goal.